SI Article on DC United's Barra Brava

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SirFozzie, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    obviously you never saw the 2004 eastern final. that has to be the best atompshere at a mls match ever

2. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I've never heard of this Chivas LA, are they new?

3. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Yea I saw that "ONE" great atmosphere "TWO YEARS AGO" but have you seen the legion atmoshpere when they played against:
    *Two Classicos against the Galaxy
    * Club America at the HDC
    and the most memorable one at the Colisuem where smoke bombs were covering all 90,000 fans.

Please note that all of these events have taken "THIS YEAR ONLY" and thats not including last year. So give me a break! I tell you all "Only in L.A.:cool:
    L.A. IS THE KING CITY OF SOCCER WITH THE MOST PASSIONATE FANS ALIVE!! AND NOBODY CAN DO NOTHING ABOUT IT!

4. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    AHH! they will be playing you guys this Saturday! What kind of fan are you that you dont even follow your teams schedule or you just jumping on the band wagon?:p :D

5. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, come on, now you're just begging for this thread to be moved to rivalries so we can joke about ethnic makeup and legality of citizenship. :p

6. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    :D
    [​IMG]

7. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    actually they'll be playing United Sunday--don't u follow ur schedule? and aren't they chivas usa not chivas la?

8. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Nice Comeback!:D

9. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    OK I have no interest in starting a chest-thumping competition here - I'm happy to give Chivas fans their due, and I'm on record saying I think they are among the three best supporters' groups in MLS. I do think it's silly for anyone to say that their group is more passionate or creates a better gameday atmosphere than DC's groups (collectively), but I think it would be equally silly for me to try to argue the opposite. That said, I do think that there are two areas where DC's groups have demonstrated something that Chivas's haven't:

First, longevity - let's see how well the group holds up once the novelty wears off. If you still have the same passion 5, 7, or 10 years in, that's really impressive.

Second, diversity: Chivas's supporters right now are still almost exclusively Mexican-american transplants who were already Chivas (Mexico) fans. As Chico pointed out, the Barra started as 98% Latino and 75% Bolivian; now it's 60-40 Anglo, and that doesn't even touch on the Screaming Eagles, which were never rooted in any particular ethnicity. That kind of transformation into a broader inclusiveness, I think, represents an important step in drawing Americans into the sport by showing them the appeal of it and "teaching" them how to be soccer fans.

EDIT: Shucks, looks like I was too late to try to head off the chest-thumping competition. Oh, well! We made it almost five full pages before the inevitable. :rolleyes:

10. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Well it took all this time for "ONE" fan to acknowledge that there are many groups in MLS who chant, sing and do the same Sh!t as the DC group. Remember this argument started when one person said that their group was the better of them all. Now lets not jump to assumptions and just keep as is. This arguemt would never end.

11. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

How can you like both Chivas and L.A. Galazy? It seems a bit strange...

12. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    who gives a ******** what a high school dork in LA named rudy thinks, who has never been to dc but maybe has seen games on tv?

13. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    I am more of a Galaxy fan since I have been with them since 96 but Chivas USA plays in my city and my support for my local teams is high.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny, I don't recall seeing any articles in Sports Illustrated about the Chivas USA supporters' groups. Could someone provide a link please?

15. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'm not even going to comment on Galaxy, that has to be a joke.

All due respect to Legion 1908 who you're not part of, but we bring it every week against everyone. Not just against our many wannabe rivals but against every mickey mouse team that comes to RFK.

Like say Colorado Rapids...

At Chivas

[​IMG]

At DC
    [​IMG]

Speaking of which only way we're getting that size pole in stadium is by sneaking it in, so they certainly have better stadium situation.

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids = Mickey Mouse

Rapids 1 - DC 0 @Invesco
    Rapids 1 - DC 1 DC

So DC is what, Daisy Duck?

(Oh come on, you didn't think that was going to slide by, did you?) :D

17. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Not to take anything away from BB, but that pic that you posted is very misleading, don't try and act like everyone standing up there is Barra Brava.

18. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    To: BBBulldog

Ok! OK! Lets do this again, Actually lets do it the right way, Here we go...

This is DC Unted at home against Chivas USA
    [​IMG]

This is Chivas against the L.A. Galaxy
    [​IMG]

and this is the double header (Galaxy Chivas/ Chivas America) that now the record of the largest crowd (91,000 in attendance) to ever watch a soccer in U.S. grounds has been broken and guess where not in DC but in L.A.
    [​IMG]

Now isnt funny how I was able to find pictures of the Legion in full force and how you couldnt? and how I wasnt able to find any pictures of the barra in full force but you did. Come on man! play by the rules and quit trying to cheat and make it seem like the Legion group is only some 30 people and you guys are thousands cause thats a bunch of Red Bull. Oh and I forgot to add this years double header at the Colisuem which close to 95,000 people were in attendance. Not even a full RFK stadium can come close 95,000 people. Bunch of Pee-Wees just lay back and learn from the best.

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    While you're at it, why don't you put it into proper context? The DC v Chivas pic you posted was last year in a 110 degree heat on a saturday against the biggest piece of shit team MLS has ever seen. Even the freakin' mexicans living in DC didn't have the balls to show up to that game.

Then you back it up with a pic of that? :rolleyes:

If you have a sack you'll apologize to eveyone on this forum....

20. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    And of course if it was just the Galaxy and ChivasIllegals playing, 95,000 would rush to see it. :rolleyes: Put down the pipe vato...

21. MintyDude

MintyDude Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Seattle/Bellingham
  22. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Here's the Barra against LA, you little sack of shit:

[​IMG]

Now go away, little boy

Sachin

23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

Actually, the Rapids won 2-1 in Denver, not 1-0.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, I was confusing it with the numerous 1-0 wins over the Galaxy this season. ;)

25. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Dude, these two things you mentioned here have nothing to do with the quality of the supporting group. Who cares about the ethinicity of the supporting groups. What matters is that they support their team. And as far as longevity? Yes, the novelty has already wore off. By the time we roll off into the 2nd season, there's no longer novelty.

Chivas LA fans will only get bigger because they are by far the most community involved team in MLS.