SI Article on DC United's Barra Brava

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SirFozzie, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anomoly503

Anomoly503 New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    the Empire State
    oh, there is an adversarial relationship with Metrobulls F.O. one huge reason is that with all the soccer fans east of the Hudson River they have done PRACTICALLY NOTHING to connect with all the fans over here.it's one thing if the teams sux, but this franchise has accepted the fact that people either don't care or don't realize they exist. as far as NJSEA goes, ever been to a NFL game at the Meadowlands and seen the sons of SS agents in action? yeish

2. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    actually last year shortly after that quote came out i showed him both of the tatoos. he laughed and said i was one of a kind.

3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Nice article.

While the fringe will always be the fringe, and the hard core always the hard core, teaching the average American fan how to watch a soccer game live is what will bring the game to the next level in terms of cultural influence. Might not be until kids my son's age are adults, but when it does happen, guys like Barra Brava will be a big part of why.

4. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the same story minus a player joining the group for a match could have been written about Chicago, LA or Chivas.

5. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We've had players join the group for a match, we've often had the General Manager of the team join in......

..... now we can't seem to go a match without the former GM being all loud and stealing beers. I kid.

6. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but it wasn't.

:D

7. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding - "Embrace the Colors" is beyond lame. I would hazard a guess that more casual fans avoided going to their first MLS game because of that commercial than actually came.

I wish they'd put together a commercial of great goals and lots of supporter's group action with some good tunes and at the end go: "So what are YOU doing this weekend?"

8. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right about now, F.S.B.

9. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    have you been to my youtube?

they just need to hire me.
    :D

10. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I apologize if this was mentioned before, but how has the "Free Beer Movement" factored into the fanship in DC? If at all?

11. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    You said it, but who doesn't like... :)

The Magpie

12. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where's the link?

13. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
  14. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Chicago or Chivas, I agree: Great fans, passionate, organized. They're definitley no's 2 and 3 in the league :D

LA? I need to be convinced. :cool:

15. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    To try to take a step beyond your immedate questions, I think what you're getting at is, "what were the key factors that helped create this great atmosphere in DC?" I think by extension if you look at other places with passionate and authentic support (Chicago, Chivas) there is a pattern: the group gets built around a core group of folks who are immigrants from (or otherwise have ties to) places where this kind of support is par for the course. Then, (at least in DC and Chicago) you have a relatively open/diverse/international population that digs that scene and gets into it and it spreads.

16. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right on target here, and i think it also extends to support on the boards. I get the impression, for instance, that a number of posters for RSL have a South American connection, such as RSLFM, who is from Brazil and has a lead role on that forum.

The plus in the stadium for those like me, who came to the game later in life, is that the DC supporters groups taught me how to be a soccer fan. That comes from the origins of their key members.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Uh it sometimes really screws up the groups ability to hold a tune/tempo.:D
    Other than that not alot considering typical newbie action is to provide the liqour for the day. Hell sometimes newbies bring the best stuff.

I'd say the deep fried turkeys in the fall really bring 'em out.

18. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Man, now I'm all horny....scuze me folks...

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The Barra owes its very existence to Marco Etcheverry. When the Barra was founded in 1995, it was going to be based after all the famous South American barras regardless of players. The fact that the founding member is Bolivian is just a coincidense that really paid off huge when it was announced that Marco had signed with United. Almost immediately sections 135,136 and 137 were sold out. The overall makeup of of the Barra in those days was about 98% latino of which Bolivians made up about 75%. The rest were argentines and salvadorans.

Upon his arrival Marco took us under his great wings and supported us alot more than we could ever ask for. Upon his first trip back home he personally purchased and brought back the huge overhead banner that covered all the sections. He was at every function we had and NEVER turned anyone away that wanted a pic or autograph or even just a handshake. He made it a point to bring the other players over to the Barra after every game to applaud us. For all this and a whole lot more, Marco is not El Diablo but the Patron Saint of 135. Signing Jaime was the icing on the cake.

The Eagles moved in next to us after the 97 season, La Norte splintered from La Barra after the 99 season.

20. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article.

I can't think of many or any fan groups
    in any of the "big four" that create such an
    awesome atmosphere.

Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles should
    be proud of themselves.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would respect them more if some of them weren't crying and saying that the LA players should be fined for "taunting" them. I guess they got their feelings hurt. :(

They create a great atmosphere. It demands player reaction - both from their own team and from the visitors. Now, that's something to be proud of.

22. PJohnson

PJohnson Member+

DC United
    Dec 16, 2004
    South Dakota
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "You must spread some reputation around before giving it to CHICO13 again".

I appreciate the history lesson. Thanks! :)

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    you thought noone would notice if you sneak LA into that mix :D

Most BB don't post on big soccer, even less in main DC forum sir. Even so what I saw people feel bad about was with Tino doing it after all the support we gave him over the years. Noone really cares about other tards, we gave it to them, they gave it back, they wouldn't shut us up if they scored twice as many. :)

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Unintended irony ;)

25. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Sure DC fans are great but I think that the best supporting groups title goes to Chivas LA. When Chivas LA plays the visiting G's HDC KICKS ASS! Nobody can match the atmosphere that Chivas LA puts when the play the G's - not even DC.

Did anyone see the highlights when Chivas LA beat CA at HDC early this month? That has got to be the greates atmosphere ever put by any MLS supporter's group. La Legion was absolutely impressive! DC has not even come close to match the fervent atmosphere Chivas LA brings to MLS.

DC fans I'm sure they are proud of their team, but I'm sorry, the best supporting groups goes to Chivas LA.