SI Article on DC United's Barra Brava

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SirFozzie, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
  2. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    we knew about it for several weeks :)

4. slimjim21591

slimjim21591 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    good article

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate admitting it, it really is a good article.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the link. Grant Wahl does it again!

7. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Did you hear that we tied Real Madrid...the biggest club in the world? Oh and we hammered Celtic too and kinda beat Chelsea. ;) :D

8. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeMarcus Beasley does not believe this.

Andy

9. Illrod3

Illrod3 Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Great article and exposure for the league. I bet that the atmosphere and Erpen/Gomez connection had a lot to do with Matias Donnet joining DCU. But doesn't everyteam have a Barra? (organized group of fans that support the team?)

Just in case... Friendlies don't count. Play a game that matters.

10. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Every team has a supporter's group.

DC's is the biggest, by far though

11. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Not sure what you mean in that last sentence. Oh and the way that Wahl described the atmosphere/experience...its been like that long before the Arg players arrived.

Chicago seems to have a large supporters group too.

12. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    yes most have at least a small barra, more or less :)

13. UVA-United

UVA-United New Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Not trying to be a homer (ok, but I am)...but DC is the only real club on and off the field. The fans get it, the players, the coaches, the FO, their local TV partners, etc.

Kevin Payne will be in Oneonta one day

14. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Nice article, this is the type of help the league needs in order to suceed.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet, you can't beat the Rapids. :D

16. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Well thats your personal believe that is respected but the same could be said about the L.A. Riot Squad aswell. Just accept the props people are giving your group. Enjoy it.:D

17. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Every team in MLS does have a supporter's group. Actually, DCU has several supporter's groups. The thing isn't that BB is one of them or that they're kind of big. They're crazies and passionate.

I think there are some stadiums (in part b/c of size and in part b/c of acustics) are far better than RFK for producing sound. There are some supporter's groups (Chicago's is a good example) that do a fine job of bringing it and creating a home field advantage.

But the Barra Brava is probably the only group I believe in MLS that comes close to what a supporter's group for a club overseas might be like in terms of the commitment, the passion, the energy, the singing, the drums, the off-the-field activities, the standing--the whole picture! Part of this is the player, but how many teams would have a player suspended for a road game--and he'd then travel to that road game to sit with that supporter's group and play a drum like Christian Gomez did with the BB? I'm not a member of the BB and haven't set with them. I have more connections with the Screaming Eagles supporter's group so it's not as if I"m tooting my own horn here.

I took a group of RSL fans to a DCU match to see DCU play Chivas (they RSL folks who were visiting from SLC figured out their two favorite teams were RSL and anyone playing Chivas!). They came away from that match talking about two things: how DCU played the ball so much more quickly than RSL and the intensity and fanaticim of the BB. Friends from UK (Wolves and Spurs fans), Holland (Ajax) and Peru have all come with me to matches and RFK and all made comments that the supporters groups (and especially the BB) made it feel almost like a match at home. The guy from Ajax actually said he wanted to go stand with the BB b/c them seemed like his kind of folks.

And yes, in the short-term, this article does make us DCU fans and especially BB members a bit more insufferable. But what it does show is that the criticism that some outsiders have of American soccer and some Eurosnobs have of MLS: that it can never achieve the passion and energy and atmosphere that you experience in some other stadiums outside the US--well, that's just dead wrong. And that's a formula that can be replicated in other places around this country given an organization that truly gets it.

18. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Arena was about to create the only "real club?"

19. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    DC United is the MLS club with the most pics on European Utra sites..
    fact.
    Barra Brava, La Norte, Screaming Eagles, etc all represent the US and MLS not just DC United.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Hopefully, someone from Colo Colo Rado (thanks uclacarlos) will print out a copy of this article and put it on Pulse's desk.

Sachin

21. Kosh

Kosh "We are all Kosh"

Aug 1, 2006
    Harrisburg, PA
    What, you mean like the Rapids not being able to beat the Rhinos? :D

Nothin' but love for the middle tier.

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What, you partying like it's 1999? Welcome to the 21st century where you're 0-1-1 against the Rapids this year.

BTW Sachin, you're thinking of Plush, not Pulse, unless there's a joke there I'm missing. Thanks for the support though, things appear to be getting better with plans for C-Firm seating in Commerce City.

23. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Worry about beating Landycakes tonight and then Houston so we can have a rematch at RFK for the Open Cup Final. ;)

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Whatever his name... you know you I'm talking about. Glad to hear things are looking up.
    Sachin

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're on, except lets have it at Invesco.