Shuffle off to Rochester....

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MrSangster, Mar 15, 2013.

1. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Here's my four: Soffner, Horth, Latigue, and Polak.

3. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latigue, Imbongo, Polak. Unsure about the fourth.

I'd say Soffner as well, but Rochester's bringing back veteran Kristian Nicht, who was one of the best goalies in USL Pro (second in goals against average) last season.

Maybe they'll sign and loan another of the draft picks. (Can they do that? I don't see why not.)

4. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Apparently Orlando had one of the best keepers last year, but that didn't keep SKC from sending Kempin out on loan.

As for Imbongo, you really think they'd prefer to keep Horth in New England over him? It seems like a real waste of an international spot.

5. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I guess I question whether it'd be better for him to sit on the bench at Rochester or not make the 18 with the Revs, but still train with Reis & Shuttleworth.

I'd want Horth to stay with the Revs, since he offers a unique skillset that compliments our other forwards. Also, a move from NASL to USL Pro is a step down for him. Imbongo is much more raw and I don't see him offering anything different than Bengtson, Barrett, Horth, Fagundez, and the like.

6. sputnikorbust

sputnikorbust Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latigue, Soffner, Polak, Imbongo ...or possibly sub one of them for Nyassi

7. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    What exactly is Horth's unique skillset that compliments our other forwards? Isn't he just a strong hold-up guy, kind of like Imbongo?

8. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

You wrote "Shuffle" and I read "Shuttle" and I was hoping that meant we were getting a better replacement 2nd string 'keeper to take over when Reis retires.... oh well...:oops:

9. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's a little more well-rounded than that, but in the current stable of Revs forwards that's where he would offer something different.

Imbongo is much more raw and needs minutues, which I don't think he's going to get if he doesn't go on loan, unless there's a serious injury crisis.

Basically, I think Horth is currently the better player of the two, but Imbongo potentially has the higher ceiling.

As far as "waste of an international spot," weren't you praising SKC for the players they sent to Orlando? Two of the players they sent (Dwyer and Songo'o) occupy international spots. Is it a waste in that case?

10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I haven't seen enough of Horth to fairly judge him, but I thought that the one thing Imbongo did really well last year was be strong on the ball and hold up the play.

As for the "waste of an international spot," does loaning the player out actually free up an internatinoal spot?

11. agoo101284

agoo101284 Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Bronx, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would assume that it would not if you plan on having him back at any point ever.

I'm for keeping Horth and loaning Imbongo. I'm not sure you can go get Horth and then say that he needs to go back to the level that you signed him out of because you thought he was that good.

12. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. In this case, it would actually be a level below where he was signed from.

13. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soffner - better to be a second banana than a third wheel . Better opportunity to get minutes in Rochester
    Smith- give him playing minutes to develop skills that go with his speed
    Polak- he's only 20 and if get more minutes, he will be a defender for the future
    Fagundez- at 18, 8 would rather have him playing 90 minutes on a weekly basis than coming up for the last 20 minutes for the Revs

I know we have to send 4 and if we can send 5, it would be Latigue. Not sure what we do with Nyassi and if it would be worthwhile to give him minutes in Rochester rather than wasting away in Foxboro

14. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can. There just has to be a minimum of 4 Revs at a time, but it doesn't have to be the same 4 every time. So they could very well shuttle players back and forth.

However, I think it would be best to have the four be "permanent" and shuffle some additional players over from time to time as well.

15. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I agree. If you want the players to have any sort of consistency, keeping the loan list relatively stable is in the club's best interests.

Questions: Who pays for the transportation? And are there minimum standards of transport?

The cynic in me is tempted to joke that:
    1. the Revs will send each loaned player a bill for the cost of transport, or
    2. send them as cheaply as possible like one of those foreign coach buses that goes from Boston to NYC daily for $9 round trip, or
    3. the Revs will minimize player shuffling to save costs.

But there must be some sort of league fund for this because Orlando and KC are not exactly close to each other.

16. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, no offense, but did you think this through at all? We're talking about a team that plays 17 away games, chartering many of its own flights, spending what must be around $1 million on travel expenses, and you think they won't be willing to pay a couple hundred bucks to fly these players out to Rochester?

Hell, they're paying for (renting?) a house in Rochester all year to house our players. That will cost more than putting the guys on commercial flights a few times this year.

KapeGuy and bwidell repped this.
  17. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    My picks:

1. Tierney
    2. Tierney's Versatility
    3. Tierney's Drive
    4. Tierney's Left Foot

18. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I am shocked and at a loss for words that Tierney & Nyassi are still on this team.

RevsLiverpool and Crooked repped this.
  19. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Transportation has been secured

[​IMG]

RevsLiverpool and BrianLBI repped this.
  20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    From the Rhinos games that I've watched (admittedly a couple seasons ago) I definitely would not want Diego on the field there. The Rhinos games are much more physical than MLS and Diego would get bounced around and maybe injured.

21. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Imbongo for sure - he's the definition of a project.

I think Soffner will be there whenever Reis and Shuttleworth are fit.

I'd send Nyassi too. They might even like him enough to make a deal for him.

Polak too.

But, guys like Latigue, I'm not so sure about. If you don't think a guy is in your long term plans, then you keep him here for insurance. The guys you send are ones that you have high hopes for IMO.

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Latigue is literally pure roster filler (the Revs wanted 30 players and had no other unsigned domestic players in camp at the end of preseason - most of their other draft picks bailed early or were injured) and there's a near 100% chance he won't be on the team next season. You might as well get him some PT somewhere else so lower division teams can see what he has, if he wants to continue his soccer career. The upside is if he inexplicably rips it up in the USL, it's a surprising productive player they would have cut otherwise, like the Sousas and Kogers of the past. A potential reward with zero risk.

24. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Is 2 a large number? I see Horth and Imbongo, but we can't exactly afford to loan anyone else out until Sene is healthy and Bengtson is back. Even then I can't see Barrett or Fagundez. Nyassi maybe counts as a forward?