Showing respect towards players

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Spiro_In_San_Jose, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Spiro_In_San_Jose New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    I was wondering what type of respect is allowed on the field. My team has lost a player and I was wondering what types of respect are allowed and what isn't. Also, what have you seen done in the past?

2. the8

the8 New Member

Apr 7, 2002
    Michigan
    Respect

Show respect when u shake ur opponents hands at the end of the game or have a little chit chat to that specific player and say nothing was intended. Thats what i did when i said that i was going to "Blank" him up. I didn't mean it, it was just that in the game, I'm so serious and don't take nothing from nobody. So if I think u knock me down or kick me or something, i'll tell u off but will let u know at the end of the game that what i said was just the game getting at me.

3. Spiro_In_San_Jose

Spiro_In_San_Jose New Member

Apr 18, 2003
    San Jose
    Sorry for not being so specific. What I meant was when you lose a player what kind of respect is shown? My team mate won't be able to play anymore--what can be done to show respect to him?

4. Frenzy

Frenzy New Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Respect shown is a function of respect earned

The respect you show the former teammate, IMO, depends upon the circumstances on which they left. If you had a teammate who left before the new season or the year's new team was formed, no problem, regardless of the reason. Once that player (and family) make a committment to the team, however, the situation changes. If the player leaves due to an arising situation, such as injury, family move, parent loses job and can no longer afford it, no problem. But if they leave because they (or parents) don't like the team "chemistry", coach, players, or just want to go to a "better" team, they should be treated no less than Quislings, as traitorous outcasts. Seriously. The player and parents have made a committment, the team chemistry and form is at least a partial function of that player's presence and it is thus disrupted, the coach and other players have committed toward that player, and if the player quits finding a replacement can be very very difficult.

Been there, done that. Our team will be good, not great, this year. We had two players leave on good terms and we enjoy good relationships with them and their parents. Two others left after making commitments. Three months after the team formed, one player's dad stated "she's lost the love of the game, she doesn't want to play soccer anymore, yadda, yadda, yadda," and pulled his dau from the team. Then we found she hooked up with a "better" team, and the parents were playing this little game all along, even shorting the league on past due payments, and that the real reason they left was because she wasn't getting much pitch time. She was a poor player with us, and suffers the same with the new team. Dad's a little psycho, so it will just be a matter of time before that sitch blows up too.

What goes around comes around. Why do I react so strongly to this kind of behavior? I believe it is because it is a symptom of a greater malaise that manifests itself in our modern society. We want a quick fix, we want to feel no pain, we want our beds made for us rather than making the hard effort to feather it ourselves, we don't want to lose and we always want to be associated with a winner. Leaving for greener pastures is a sh***y way to teach ethics, morals and values to your kids. It shows that when the going gets tough, you can just quit. This object lesson bleeds over into school, work and personal relationships, and unfortunately prepares children for a life of decreasing effort and increasing avoidance in the face of adversity. It's better to band together and face the storm collectively, draw upon each other's resources for strength, and help each other through.

So, it depends. If they've been fair, honest and straightforward, treat them as friends. Perhaps someday they will come back. But if they've lied, deceived, cheated and been less than fortright to get where they are, pay them no mind at all. You don't want players like that on your team or people like that in your life.

5. If he's done because he got hurt i think the next time you play the team that hurt him go in cleats up for one of there players knees and make sure they know nobody takes out your players and walks away without some type of retaliation!!!!

6. nsoccer2

nsoccer2 New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    West Seneca, NY
    I always wondered what the kid would be like if Dr.Phill married Mia Hamm. Thanks for sharing Frenzy.