Show your support for a New MLS team in Houston here!

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by bford, Dec 2, 2004.

1. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But then wouldn't the team's nickname inevitably become the "Republicans"? That may work well in suburban North Harris or Montgomery County, but the city itself is solidly Democratic. :D

In any event, you really need a name that works at some level in both English and Spanish. Astros, for example, is probably the perfect name for a team in this town. I'd really love to see Cosmos for the same reasons, but I doubt it would ever happen. At the very least, you need a name that at least translates into Spanish - even los Petroleros worked well enough.

As a practical matter, Club America Houston would work. English-language marketing, fans, and media would refer to them as the Eagles. Spanish-language marketing, fans, and media would refer to them as las Aguilas. What's not to like?

2. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Wouldn't just plain "Club America" vice "Club America Houston" work just fine? I really don't think anyone would get confused or insulted.

3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving up the distinctive green unis was one of the dumbest things Colorado ever did--and I'm talking about a team that hired Tim Hankinson, and signed Chris Carrieri twice. :D

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Eagles.

-G

5. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club America Houston. Eagles in English. Aguilas in Spanish. Todos are happy.

6. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently not everyone would be happy with that.
    Personally I can't stand "Club America Houston."
    And I have nothing against CA.

Just "Houston Eagles" is fine/great.

It will still be written as Aguilas in the spanish speaking press.
    I suppose you could even go CA (abbreviated) Houston Eagles, but include the name.
    None of this poser crap like FCD or RSL.

7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, sure. But if Club America invests in MLS, they're likely to want to get some use out of the Club America brand. That's much of the point, isn't it? The name "Club America Houston Eagles" is too long.

"Club America" is one of the best known soccer brands in Houston (and the other is apparently being wasted away in LA). A team named only "Houston Eagles" (or any Houston [fill in plural mascot]) would have to build a brand from scratch. Even "Eagles" isn't enough - you need to have "Club America" in the name. When marketing a product, why would you give up one of your strongest assets - and in this case, arguably your strongest asset?

Of course, I also like the name FC Dallas. :D

8. Short Irish Guy

Short Irish Guy New Member

May 1, 2003
    Houston
    Here are my ideas:

Club America Houston

Houston County

Club Houston

Houston would definately support a soccer team. It's just convincing the dinosaur baby boomers who control public funds to understand the changing winds of the American sporting public. Hell, I want a team here so I can see D.C. United a few times without having to fly around the country :D

9. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston Heat

I am not from TX but my grandparents are and I die in that humid heat in the summer everytime I'm there.

10. Short Irish Guy

Short Irish Guy New Member

May 1, 2003
    Houston
    I'd probably only go to games in April and May. Anything after that and the weather outside is just unbearable - esp. for day games in the middle of the afternoon.

11. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And hopefully every visiting team would feel the same way. :cool:

12. Donavonfan4life

Donavonfan4life New Member

Apr 1, 2005
    Houston
    Houston Defiantely needs a soccer team. We have a very nice stadium. I will support the team. I am not sure what I would want it's mascot to be maybe something like space themed or something to match most of the other teams here in houston.

13. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In an ideal world, I think the space name theme would be the best solution, too. I've always liked the idea of Houston Cosmos. It's space themed, works perfectly in both Spanish and English, and kills off the NY Cosmos threads on BS. :D

But in the world as we find it, I suspect that if we're cheering for an MLS team in Houston in the next couple of years, it'll be named something very close to Club America Houston.

14. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really doesn't matter much to me, as long as we have a team. like someone else said, i can't cheer for FC Dallas.. it's in my blood. Houston and Dallas has always had it in for one another. Althou I do cheer for Eddie Johnson. I wouldn't mind having America place a team down here, then I can butt heads with all my Chivas family members more than twice a year (when Mexico plays the US National team). I wouldn't mind the stadium being at Delmar, it's a good central location folks from BearCreak all the way up to Klein and as far south as Pearland wouldn't have a problem getting there.
    MLS... just gie us a d*mn team already!

BTW, does Real Salt Lake have any ties with Real Madird?

I'm new to futbol, but love it already! :) GO USA!

15. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    The "official name" will probably be C.A. Houston if Club America does the bidding. Having all three words spelled out would be too long for most marketing purposes, but the C.A. would be understood as Club America by all. Just as the FC, AS and other designators are understood with team names.

The logo could be a merging of the Club America Logo and an eagle in flight to pull the Mexican/American theme together. Unfortunately, Club America's colors (blue, red and yellow) don't exactly work well together with the Texas flag.

16. Benchwarmer32

Benchwarmer32 New Member

Nov 13, 2003
    Indiana
    Just an idea, because I like playing around with uni's and badges and whatnot. Plus, I'm a history buff so I love South Texas 1836. Obviously it won't work if it's Club America.

[​IMG]

17. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That does look sweet!

18. ddavenport

ddavenport New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    How about Arsenal of Houston?

19. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as they ship Henry too! lol I can dream huh?

How about GCD Houston..... Gulf Coast Deportes Houston. That way it streaches out to the entire Gulf Coast. From Mexico to Houston, they can scout talent and play games in Mc Allen,Brownsville, Corpus, and San Antonio. You can really have a big following. The emblem can be a crest with some kind of sea theime. Or just a big ass Stingray or Bull Shark.
    We have alot of pride in out Port as well.

20. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that back in '98, when the league started to talk about coming back to Houston I told my buddy from Madrid that Houston Arsenal would be my choice for a MLS logo. I told him that a cannon on a crest with "Come and Take It" in some sort of script around the crest would hit home with Texans. Y'all should know the Gonzalez flag right? From the Texian Army flags.
    I also wanted a return to my old Rockets colors of ketchup and mustard...at the time our uniforms would have been very classy for MLS standards. Could have been stripped red/yellow like Galatasary from Turkey.

21. bford

bford Member

Houston Dynamo, Everton, USMNT
    Nov 30, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sounds pretty good to me CeltTexan. I think something that worked in our proud history would be awesome.

Rock on

bford

22. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Im from Houston and know that Delmar would be a great vinue for a Houston team until we could ge a SSS. I went to Waltrip High School(if any of u Houstonians know where that is) and we played most of our games at Delmar or Houston. Not to mention they just renovated it with new turf and seats, was about $1 million so its a good condition. The only thing that im worried about is the size, its kind of small. Im guessing it fits about 10,000 or so but please correct me if im wrong.

23. Blu N Houston

Blu N Houston Member

Apr 8, 2005
    In your head!
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with you! Delmar has the location and size to start with, I can see sell outs @ 10K. I'm also an TC Jester fool, but moved to the Eisenhower in '89 my freshman yearand now live in Bear Creek. Most of my family went to Waltrip.

24. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Sellouts would be a given and I would be suprised if we wouldnt sell out every game, specially with the diverse culture in that area. Inner city Houston is a hotbed for some very talented hispanic players, just as the cy-fair area up 290 is for white suburban players. Both would benefit!!!

25. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this link will work for you, but you can use maps.google.com to get a pretty cool view of various venues. They've now added satellite images. You can scroll around and re-size and so forth.

Here's what I believe to be the Delmar location:

maps.google for Delmar

You can also scroll around to find satellite shots of Robertson and Reliant (and note the convenient amount of space in Reliant Park between the Dome and Fannin). ;)