Should Zlatan play for Sweden in the WC?

Discussion in 'GROUP F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea' started by MIGkiller, Apr 2, 2018.

?

Zlatan playing in the WC?

Poll closed May 17, 2018.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Don't know

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. It's the World Cup who should play for Zlatan

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  1. MIGkiller

MIGkiller Member+

Flamengo
    Brazil
    May 9, 2003
    Rio de Janeiro
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What do you think? I say give him a chance.

2. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Tough call.

It could be bad for the Sweden team spirit considering how they overperformed during qualification. However, their attack is so enemic (they could easily be wiped out in the group without scoring a single goal in the 3 matches), as shown by their friendlies in March, so they could use an on-form (and uninjured) Zlatan, Sweden's manager does not want him, but the Swedish FA have applied to remove a possible betting association prohibition against him for advertising for a betting company, and that may be determinative. So, there is pressure at the highest levels on the manger to include him if he can. He is a jerk, but, like CR7, a very talented jerk.

Any Swedes here with a more realistic grasp of the present situation?

3. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    The Swedish coach (Janne Andersson) is not gonna do anything if not Zlatan tell him he wanna play for the national team again. I dont think Janne have no options if Zlatan call him. And like you said, the Swedish FA want Zlatan. Here in Sweden its like 50 50.

beachesl repped this.
  4. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Zlatan is rested...he did not play much this year so he would arrive at the world cup very fresh and a fresh motivated Zlatan is something many teams would like to have at such event.

But i think he already got a second option and if not as a player he will work on the world cup probably on tv or in a staff.

beachesl repped this.
  5. gfx_bq1

gfx_bq1 Member

Mar 19, 2016
    I'd love to see it, why not? The man's a legend

6. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He already said he has interest in the Jimmy Kimmel show so Idk how this will go. Given that this is the group of death, it be kinda crazy for them not to try to get him back.

7. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If they can convince him to play with the team, absolutely. They need all the firepower they can get.

8. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
  9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To not play much doesn't make a professional player fresh, quite the contrary. I would like to see him at the World Cup, it will be fun. But I'm not sure Sweden will be a better team with Zlatan, probably less predictable at least. He's also always able to score even totally exhausted. A younger player who actually started all season for his club could be the better option despite less talent, though.

10. David Taylor

David Taylor Member

Bayern München
    Mexico
    May 16, 2018
    As a football fan I would love it.....but as a Mexico fan I wish he could just stay home.

11. tomas_brolin

tomas_brolin Member

Jan 27, 2004
    Geneva, IL
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I know I am late.. I haven't visited the site in years. As a Sweden fan, I do agree with the squad selection. Once Svensson, Ljungberg, Larsson, Kallstrom, etc retired, the goal was to get the ball to Zlatan and he will figure it out. Now, the team actually plays as a team. While they did get lucky in qualifying (i.e. France, Italy for both legs), the team performed well considering the youth and inexperience.

Once the team gels and gets experience, they can be solid qualifiers again.

SF19 repped this.
  12. AK8 Wizard

AK8 Wizard New Member

Persepolis
    Iran
    Jun 1, 2018
    I say yes. Ibrahimovic is a talisman player.

LGRod repped this.
  13. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    With Zlatan out, Sweden play better as a team. That's because the players play for each other. With that said, Sweden are a better team when Zlatan plays. That's because his qualities are undoubted. Even if Zlatan doesn't score or provide an assist, his presence alone makes the difference for Sweden. So he raises Sweden to a different level, but that requires Sweden build their game completely around Zlatan. When he plays it means they, as a team, play for him as opposed for each other.

In my view Sweden are tough side without him. They're disciplined, hardworking, tactically acute, and they still have quality players who can produce goals, either out of sheer determination or out of a respectable degree of technical acumen. They know they can't rely on magic to bail them out, like they could with Zlatan, so they really have to work for each other to achieve the results they need.

Kamtedrejt and HansWorldCup repped this.
  14. petersh

petersh New Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 23, 2018
    I just don't think Zlatan can do anything for Sweden now. They have quality players. He is 36 years old and not playing top-level football

15. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Korea, Mexico and Germany would be very happy if Zlatan joins the Swedish squad, even right away. That would definitely neutralize chemistry and team spirit Sweden has built over time.

16. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Yepp and he just take energy from the team right now.