Should we have a two part final for MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by whip, Jul 5, 2005.

1. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Considering you're the one who said, "However, if the "Lamar Cup" is truly given its due, then MLS teams will stop sending their bench to play in those games, and will actually try to win it," I don't think Noah has to respond to anything. I think you do.

After you get back to work, of course.

2. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can speak from experience that home playoff games are extremely fun.

After they're eliminated, they don't play any more games, so don't have to worry about selling tickets to meaningless games.

3. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tongue-in-cheek, mon ami, tongue-in-cheek.

4. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the notion that teams are playing hard for that home advantege. I'm certain some do.

Hey, that's a good point!

What, no die hard movie fans want to identify my earlier quote? Everybody already has too much positive reputation? (I fully expect mine to plummet faster than MLS's current season attendance after this discussion, by the way. **Joking, aleaguer, joking!**)

5. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    I'm not going to neg-rep you just because I disagree with you. You make your points respectfully, don't foam at the mouth, and we agree to disagree. Most neg rep is saved for the criminally stupid or people just trying to give the stinkeye to the rest of the herd at the watering hole.

6. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool! So, how 'bout some positive rep, then?

7. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Don't get cocky.

8. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Well...I think that NCAA D-1 basketball play more than one game and the reason have to be $$money""" :D ....So why not play a double leg final for MLS, it is woking for the Mexicans and is working for the Copa Libertadores organizers too...

9. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the 2 legged final sounds good to me

but the biggest thing the MLS needs to do is drop the conference system, and put all the teams in the top flight in the same table. Perhaps they should wait until there are 16-18 teams in the top flight. the team with the best record is the MLS champion

then you have the OPEN CUP, which will be our Pokal/FA

10. aleaguer

aleaguer Member

Feb 17, 2000
    Wichita, KS USA
    Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    umm, lets see, because it ruins the ability to sell the event months in advance, causes a risk of a final round match in Colorado or KC, reduces the "big event" weeklong setup for the corporate stuff, and runs the risk of a blowout in the first game with a bunkerfest in the second... there. we can close the thread now ;) :rolleyes:

and no one in MLS cares about the open cup. It's like winning the NIT.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ok this is my biggest pet peeve on these boards.

There are 2 parts to MLS. The operations part nad the logistics part. So often fans make operations suggestions without ever anaylizing the effects on the logistical part.

A home and away MLS cup final? Thats an operations change (changes to the game, product, ect). Logistically speaking what happens by making this change? MLS Cup is MLS's signiture event. They establish the site in advance to maximize their corporate pony show, book events, have their major meetings, etc. The only benefit of a 2 legged final is to give each team a home game. However the sites can't be determined until 1 week before the game takes place. MLS cannot market, and organize the event they way they want to on that short time frame. Logistically the proposed change causes massive logistical problems to MLS's goals for the Cup. I could go on but you get the idea.

Now i am not saying we shouldn't explore operational changes or brainstorm but we should at least think our suggestions through and ask all the questions..if i change X what effect will that have on Y instead of just saying i like X.

13. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Or you can just watch European soccer, where it makes sense to do thing like that because of their history. I like having the 1-game final. I do NOT want to see our champion determined by who's at the top of the table. Boring. Mexico seems to be doing great w/out it, and we are turning into a better and better league as well.

I have no problem w/ the single table, but I do have a problem w/ people assuming the US should automatically do things like they do in the familiar European countries w/out respect for the American fan and the way the game has developed over here so far.

The thing I think we need the most is to have more MLS matches with good clubs from all over the place. This summer is a pretty good one for that--except for Dallas, as usual. :(

14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    The media has to be encouraged to cover MLS games already. Getting TV crews and reporters to show up to two games with locations not decided until a week before would be difficult.

15. WerderBremenYank

Apr 7, 2005
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is that boring? With a system like that, the most consistent team throughout the season (making them the BEST TEAM) is the league champion. If anything it INCREASES the value of every match played.

Trust me, im not a huge fan of Europe, but the way that have their football set up over there is pretty damn good. You're right, we shuoldnt AUTOMATICALLY do it the way europe does, and we havent, we've taken 10 years to work with different ideas. I'm just saying the next progression should be an experiment with their system

16. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I am with you with the experimentation thing for differents ideas, what about if MLS start to experiment with a new batch of coaches few of the one we have right now really stink and at the same time lets have a two leg final just to see what happen.... :eek:

17. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    What is everybody's animosity toward the Open Cup?! I love the tournament. Screw the money and the dates of the games. MLS players should want to play the tournament to prove to America that they are, in fact, the best league in the United States. The Open Cup is where upsets happen and dreams come true. The LHUSOC has been around since 1911, I think, and should be treated as the top domestic cup in soccer since everybody has a chance to win it.

And by the way, who has more domestic cups? The MetroStars or the Rochester Raging Rhinos? ;)

18. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I totally agree with this, the final, for various reasons, should be a single event, though I'd really like to see the conference finals be two-legged just like the semifinals. (Even in the Champions League, the final is a single event in a pre-determined location that isn't necessarily the home stadium or even country of teams that have made it that far. It rotates to give everyone a chance to experience it, and it's mainly a big TV event.)

Now this I disagree with. While I agree that MLS wants to get the American mainstream to become fans, they're also learning that it really only works by educating people about the sport as it is and presenting it at its best, in a fairly traditional manner that true soccer fans recognize. And while there is nothing in the FIFA laws that says elimination tournaments need to be a home-and-away, aggregate goals format, it is a very common arrangement that makes a lot of sense, for MLS as it does elsewhere. It's not really true that all American sports have the same format, they each have their quirks that people get used to as they learn about them, as they will learn and get used to soccer's quirks.

19. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I see your point on this, but I think it's also the least important part of my arguement. If any time is good for a two game knockout, it;s the second round rather than the first. The first round give absolutely no home field advantage. The single game gives teams late in the season a good push for the home field. I bring up the DC/Metros game from last year as an example.

20. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nice points. I just kind of wish either that the conference finals were double legged or the conference semifinals were single legged (either way is fine by me, they both have advantages and disadvantages). I can see why the MLS Cup final game is a single event, but I'm not sure why there's a change between quarterfinals and semifinals.

21. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Best-of-seven series across two weeks to determine the championship.

There can be no argument against this idea.

22. aartef redded

aartef redded Red Card

Apr 25, 2005
    MLS should have a split season too. Winner of 1st half playoffs gets to play winner of 2nd half playoffs for league Championship

23. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Actually I'm kind of changing my mind on this: I don't really care one way or another whether the conference semis or finals are one or two legged. I just don't quite understand why the change occurs at that point. (I see why the MLS Cup final is a single game, though.) So I'd be just as happy to see all the playoff stages be single games, but I would kind of like to see the conference semis and conference finals played the same way, whichever it is.

24. CL_2004

CL_2004 New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Toronto
    final should be one game and one game only.

25. todd_knode

todd_knode New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    San Diego via DC

double agree. Why would anyone besides the most die hard fans want to watch the first game? Have it one game, winner take all.