Should we have a two part final for MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by whip, Jul 5, 2005.

1. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    Well guys...This is done in Mexican Soccer with great succe$$ and mucho dinero for the mexican soccer league, NBA have a final with sometime seven games, baseball have the finals with a lot of games...So what are MLS excuses for not have a two game finals... ;)

2. TheKing G

TheKing G New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    california
    does't the mexican league have a split season the apetura and the cluasura?

3. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    I personally would love to see a two legged final if were gonna have the playoffs, i think they should be completely two legged from the first round through the final but MLS will not even consider that until all teams have SSS and TV would support it.

4. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if we're going to do what other soccer countries do, maybe we should take a look at Europe, too! :)

5. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Two-game finals are nothing new to American soccer. The NASL did it back in the 60's. I'd like to see a two game championship decided on total goals. I think it'd be a fine idea, especially if it's a home-and-home series.

6. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    We can stop right here. If any team makes it into the final that shares their stadium with an NFL team, scheduling the final would be difficult at best.

7. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I know. I was referring to the "they do it in Mexico" comment.

Anyway, my preference is to (1) have a "regular season" championship to satisfy the Euro purists, and (2) emphasize the US Cup to satisfy those in the we-Americans-want-playoffs camp. That way everybody's happy (or PO'd, one or the other).

The reason I'd like to see it that way is that the two competitions measure two different things. The regular season measures the best team over the long haul, while the Cup (a single-elimination tournament) adds the volatility and excitement of teams peaking at the right time. We've already got both competitions, so it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to institute this format.

8. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Yes... Argentina too and many other Latin American leagues.

9. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I agree that this is the way to go with the final choosing a single site makes it hard for fans too travel and see their team in a championship. I think that the play-offs all the way to the final final should be two-legged and detrmained by goals scored. But I can see how not having your own stadium would be a problem.

10. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been a big fan of the apertura and clausura split. I like being able to say so-and-so was the league champion of 2005. It seems to complicate it to have the exact same competition twice during the same year. Maybe I just don't understand the split, or its purpose. Can somebody explain it?

11. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah its the equivqlent of a really long Euro or mls season they play 18 games the first time around and they play the other 18 games. But the only diff. is that in Mex. they have play-off sort of like mls and in Argentina they have a single table, leader at the end of the season wins it all.

12. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My preference would be to keep a one-game final, but have the finalist with the best record host MLS Cup.

This would hopefully be a good incentive for team's to play with 100% effort throughout the season, and probably increase average attendance at the championship games.

13. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it sounds like the Argentina apertura/clausura is nothing like the Mexico apertura/clausura. In fact, the Argentina a/c is closer to the EPL than it is to the Mexican a/c, and the Mexican a/c is closer to MLS than it is to the Argentina a/c. Hey, I guess MLS is not that far from the Euro system after all! :)

14. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    The problem with this plan obviously being football and building availability. But yes, looking long-term, I'd like to see this eventually adopted.

15. Pbourgeacq

Pbourgeacq New Member

Aug 8, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This seems to be a poor man's version of what I outlined in post #7, above. Anybody interested in eventually adopting that?

16. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    thats exactly what i said, read first man.....

17. Banal Minutia

Banal Minutia New Member

Apr 17, 2005
    New Jersey
    thats exactly what i said, read first man.....

18. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    We could have the 2 legged final in the same place twice.

PHP twice.

19. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Yeah, I'd like a 2-leg final as well. Granted it's not going to happen until every team is in its own stadium.

I'll concede to having an all-star game as a place for the league's high-rollers to move and shake if they were to give me a 2-leg final.

20. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    First to 5, anybody?

21. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    ******** off.

:safetywink:

22. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England hosted MLS Cup while sharing the Big Razor with the Pats. While scheduling would be a pain, it obviously can be done. Home and home for the final would certainly be better financially than playing to a less than full Crew stadium ;)

23. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Let's not even consider this until all teams have their own stadiums. Right now, if you made the final two-legged, you would need to do that for the conference final as well, and that negates any home field advantage. Unless you did the Mexican thing of saying the higher ranked team advances if level on aggregate. But I like the idea of the championship being one game, even though Fire would've beat KC in 2000 in a series. :)

24. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    there's a big difference between an event scheduled months in advance, and one that may or may not exist as little as 7 days beforehand.

25. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I like a single game final the best, makes for one big day to end the season.