Should We Even be Playing Sports ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Val1, Jun 28, 2020.

1. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All fall Big Ten sports will only play in conference games this year

Auriaprottu repped this.
  2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It looked bad and stupid in April.
    It is idiotic now.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nothing says, "money grab" like choosing certain events over others for reasons that obviously don't involve concerns about spreading this virus. .

My guess is there might be fewer parties, rallies and other irresponsible socializing going on the week before a game v. The Sisters of The Poor than would be expected with a game v. a hated conference rival, or even a standard conference game.

4. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone catch "First Take" following the NYCFC-Philadelphia game on ESPN Thursday? Max Kellerman said he thought there was "zero percent chance" that college football would be played this fall. The other panelists for that segment agreed with him.

A few days ago, Dennis Dodd reported on CBSSports.com that there were 3 and possibly 4 Big 10 schools that did not think it a good idea to play football this fall, but none of the schools were stating so publicly, because they didn't want to be the first one to make the announcement.

All joking aside about their football prowess, or lack thereof, but I could see Rutgers being one of those schools. New Jersey has been hit particularly hard by COVID 19, and even though the state has a better handle on things now, I think state and school officials would be hesitant to risk raising the infection rate.

5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    [
    I could see Rutgers winning the whole thing if they're the only school to suit up.

Go Knights! :thumbsup:

6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    soccernutter, song219 and superdave repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    crazypete13, song219 and NORML repped this.
  8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm sensing some ambivalence in Dave....

NORML and xtomx repped this.
  13. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interesting part to this is the huge payouts to those non-conference opponents.

Bowling Green was supposed to play both Ohio State and Illinois. Not playing those games, and not getting the $2.2M payday, is going to decimate their athletic budget.

JohnR and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    College football is pretty much by definition "a money grab", so requiring players to sign waivers and play a game against anybody strikes me as reprehensible.

15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Was it because of COVID-19 or were they still recovering/grieving over the Bowling Green Massacre?

Ismitje, chaski and roby repped this.
  16. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still be surprised to see any college football this fall. Morehouse College (Division 2) has already scrapped its football season. Three or four Division 3 schools are doing the same too. The CIAA, a Division 2 conference comprised of HBCU's, has also followed the Ivy League's lead and scuttled its football season. Hawaii and Brigham Young have each lost the first 4 games on their respective schedules due to the Pac-12 and Big 10 decisions.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Profitable programs are the exception, not the rule. The game here is simply a big part of the culture, like soccer is in lots of places everywhere else. I admit that if you spend much time checking out sites that address American sports, you will get that idea. But the bulk of cfb programs are from small schools you'll never see on television or even hear about unless they're playing a big-name team. You're talking about maybe 30, 40 programs when you talk about profit. I'm not going to look for a link, but I think I'm being generous.

Plus, not all states are football states. Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky and North Carolina are basketball states. Many other states you can't even associate with a sport at all- they just exist.

Considering that each big program has 85 players whose education (scholarship money) is being/could be held hostage, it's reprehensible regardless. It won't surprise me if some schools that offer only online courses this fall still go ahead with football.

18. SetPeace

SetPeace Member+

Jun 22, 2004
    SC Illinois
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Always loved the tongue-in-cheek nature of this one!

roby and Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Aaaah yes....Sgt Bilco, King of chutzpah! :thumbsup:

SetPeace repped this.
  20. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Thinking back I would have loved to see a show with CPO Sharkey and Sgt Bilco together. It would have given a truer picture of the acronym SNAFU. :whistling:

21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The Blue Jays have been denied permission to play their home games in Toronto. The Canadian gov't won't give them / MLB an exemption to the 14 day quarantine rules, and are concerned about the Jays playing a bunch of games in Florida then flying home.

Jay's management respects the decision and will announce where their "home" will be this year - either Buffalo or Dunedin apparently.

.... I'm not a b-ball fan so have no problem with this whatsoever. From what I can tell from local media, nobody in Toronto is gonna complain much, if at all, including Jays fans.

crazypete13 repped this.
  22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I think Washington is about to do the same thing with the Nationals.

23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think Canada can handle the NHL playoffs in Toronto and Edmonton as hub cities. Every other US based league is going to be an asterisky shitshow of a season/tournament and shouldn't start until the pandemic is under control.

Dr. Wankler and NORML repped this.
  24. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Interesting point. It's Pennsylvania's NHL cities that are causing our problems.

crazypete13 repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Washington relaxed their requirements enough so that Nationals can play in DC.