Should we consider breaking up YA by country/region?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dark knight, Oct 12, 2022.

?

Should we regroup YAs by where they play or some other new organization?

1. Heck no - don’t fix what ain’t broke

45.7%
  2. Yes - it’s way too crowded now. We should organize by country or region.

7.1%
  3. Yes - it’s way too crowded now. We should organize by strength of league (big 5/6 vs the rest)

24.3%
  4. Yes - I have a great idea for reorganize that I’ll post in the thread.

4.3%
  5. I’m on the fence. If we decide to change, I’ll vote on which approach later.

18.6%
  1. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Just wanted to follow up with the post above and reiterate that this is a very good suggestion.

2. gjackson2207

gjackson2207 Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So, here's my thought. What we're dealing with is an organization question and like most good organization systems something that makes life easier would be good. I have lurked here for more than a decade and would probably quit if I constantly had to recall whether or not the Allsvenskan was a second tier league or a first tier minor league or some such thing. However, I think this solution (though not at all sexy in a soccerball sense) would help organizationally. Make a list of the Yanks abroad. Divide them up into numerically equivalent quintiles. Then, when you click on Yanks Abroad you'd see 5 sub folders with titles like Aaronson, DeVries, Holmes etc. You know if the player you're interested in has a name that alphabetically is before DeVries, you know which folder to peruse. Over time, you may not even have to change the folder titles. I don't even think you need two names to show the range...Instead of names you could actually simplify even further. A-D, E-H, I-M, etc. This system should work well over time. Of course, the Reyna bloodline may eventually produce so many players that the folder will get bloated.

Truth be told, I would still use the search function and mostly lurk, so disregard my earlier claim. You guys are pretty entertaining.

dark knight repped this.
  3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don’t think we can sticky posts in threads if I understand the suggestion.

4. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just noticed this. I voted for change.

By and large no matter how it's reorganized, we have far too many yanks abroad(and it'll only be more in the future) to not have it better categorized.

I think by country and leagues in a country could work.

Top leagues vs the rest could also work.

Frankly anything but a free for all (current) is better.

In my experience most who fight change come along and appreciate it later anyway. Still remember all the moaning when BS changed its interface and removed neg reg. Now no one mentions it.

P.S. Is there a better place for a coach like Marsch than the academy section?

dark knight and freisland repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I still think Dark Mode would be awesome, so I don't have to install an extension just for this site.

Screenshot_20221209_171958.png

Screenshot_20221209_172034.png

6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Bumping this thread because Pulisic was on like page 4. I just think the main forum is too cluttered and I think we should consider:

Main Forum: top 6 UEFA leagues.
    Academy: Youth and coaches
    Other Europe
    Rest of the world
    Game day: All countries.

Aside from the main, I don’t care as much how we break it up. I just don’t think guys in Poland or Switzerland have the same following - it’s super niche. If we don’t care about clutter - why split off academy?

@bungadiri

jond, FC Tallavana, bungadiri and 2 others repped this.
  7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Good idea. Just add Mexico to top 6 UEFA , as it looks like level of our players there keeps on growing. And maybe Championship too.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes sense to me. It's pretty intuitive and will spread things out well enough. @butters59 I understand why you'd like to include Mexico in the Europe thread, but I think it would confuse people/newcomers on a fairly regular basis.

dark knight repped this.
  9. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    The other thing is - if we hate it, it’s a lot easier to undo than it is to set up.

FC Tallavana repped this.
  10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    #85 PaulGascoigne, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    I vote 'no.' There is going to be another vote before you do this, right? Is there
    *any* other reason we're revisiting this besides the fact that Pulisic reached page 4 on one occasion? That's kind of half the fun, isn't it? Reflects the fact that we have a lot of decent guys out there.

So I suggest we have another vote--like the one we had before you guys split the gameday threads from the player threads. :rolleyes:

I will point out that this proposed change didn't even come close to being approved when it was voted on the last time.

My 2 cents.

Deeneaus and Roblar repped this.
  11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I also vote 'no'. Pulisic in the 4th page shouldn't be a reason for this. All our top players at some point have been in the 4th to 7th page and they go back to the 1st as soon as they play well. It's a meritocracy. Burying things deeper into more and more layers of clicks is inconvenient.

Also, with the number of people visiting the place dropping (we used to have 400+ registered people during weekdays, now we're lucky to hit half that many), compartmentalizing things is going to cause people to stick to the one big forum for the big names and leave the rest empty.

12. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Pulisic on the 4th page isn't the problem. It's a symptom of the problem. Let's please make the change.

There are some things I would tweak with the proposal though. I don't like coaches and youth together. It's not intuitive. I also don't like highly promising youth player threads buried 10 pages below a bunch of tweens who are highly unlikely to ever become much of anything.

dark knight repped this.
  13. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    So you're saying that compartmentalizing will result in popular threads being popular and unpopular threads not being popular?

14. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    I hope it stays as it is. I don't want to be at the mercy of only my own interests, we already live in a world where more and more we can choose only to read what we want to read. I want to be surprised by threads of players I don't know much about, or have forgotten.

Deeneaus, superdave and Roblar repped this.
  15. FC Tallavana

FC Tallavana Member+

Jul 1, 2004
    La Quinta
    Can't you just go visit those types of threads in their new homes?

twoolley repped this.
  16. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'm also in the 'no' camp.

Players threads are usually active when the players are playing (and doing well) or when people are having an active discussion about the players. If I don't see a player I'm interested in on the front page, it's not hard to click to the next page.
    --In short, having a player bump down a page or so isn't really an inconvenience.

I've also always liked getting a sense for all the Yanks Abroad, and it's easier to do that if they're all in one place. It's fun learning about their careers and hoping for them to grow and perform well (even if they're not at the top level).
    --Creating sub-forums will make this a bit more tedious and harder to do.

And I appreciate the work some posters do to keep us updated on players like Rokas Pukstas (or Mike Lansing, or Bryan Okoh, or...). I'd hate for their efforts to be hidden in another sub-forum.

BostonRed repped this.
  17. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    More buried in the tree = people less likely to visit.

Now some of the people visiting for the big names spill over to comment about less well-known players, since the thread pops at them once in a while. How often do you see a post saying "I didn't know he was playing today" referring to some guy like Gyau or Wright? That's someone who came to read about Pulisic or Weah and saw the thread for the other guy near the top.

Deeneaus and Dervos repped this.
  18. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Dervos, ebbro and Winoman repped this.
  19. DCU1984

DCU1984 Member+

Jan 15, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does the functionality exist to have filtered folders?

So you could find the Pulisic thread on Yanks Abroad classic or the Yanks Abroad top 5 folder Or Yanks Abroad Italy folder but it's the same thread in all three places.

Just a different way of organize which threads you see.

Otherwise I like it as it is.

20. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I don't really like the idea. However, if it is done, may I suggest going a little beyond the "Big 5" leagues? I think it may be better to use the leagues that frequently contain multiple real national team prospects, as that's what many people use this forum for. To my eyes, that means the big 5 plus Netherlands/Belgium/maybe Portugal/Championship.

Still a little awkward as there are five legitimate fringe national teamers in Serie B, good youth nats in 2.Bund and La Liga 2, but I'll be a little surprised if that persists.

I'm somewhat nervous that everywhere else will be a wasteland. Even the gameday forum, which has made some of the regular forums less cluttered with pbp, mostly only really perks up for Milan / Juve / Forest / PSV.

Deeneaus and Winoman repped this.
  21. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I don't know anything about how BS' XenForo instance is set up, but this is hypothetically as simple as installing a new XF theme. Looking at the client-side files, it looks like BS uses a ThemeHouse theme, and they currently offer a free dark-mode theme here: https://www.themehouse.com/xenforo/2/themes/ui-x-dark

However, BS has been around for a long long time and is seemingly maintained for free. It wouldn't surprise me if the version of XenForo that BS uses is so old that it doesn't look for "prefers-color-scheme: dark" media requests. If that's the case, then it's a whole thing just to add one measly little optional theme.

CyphaPSU and dark knight repped this.
  22. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    This is what the "Watched Threads" feature is supposed to be for, only it's site-wide instead of narrowed by sub-forum.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Now THAT would be useful, organizing your "My Threads" by sections. As is if you got 20 updates on the USMNT forum today, for example, you won't see the 5 you got yesterday in the Women's Soccer forum.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I can't remember the last time I went to the YA forum. I just use "watched threads." If I hear of a player that sounds interesting or a guy moves to Europe, I just search for his thread and then watch it. Who cares if Pulisic's thread is on page 4?

25. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Well if that is the way you all use the forum then it makes little to no difference how it is organized for you, right?

dark knight repped this.