Should UEFA establish a salary cap?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by mookhead, Dec 29, 2005.

1. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Taken from the first page of todays headlines on big soccer
    Football, Futbol, Calcio: A Fan's Grounds for Divorce

This question may be posted in another thread, but I could not find it. I apoligize if it is somewhere else.

I am sick and tired of seeing the same one or two teams from each European league win their respective championship. Sure, there are the Cinderella stories such Aberdeen in the early 80's, Lazio-Roma few years ago, Chelsea last year(I've been a fan since the mid 90's, I know in my heart that if they did not have the large cash infusion from Roman they might not have been able to assemble the players to win the league-in the end I don't care they still won), Valencia and De Portivo in the a few years ago etc..etc..It seems that money did not really help teams win up untill about the early 1990's when different forms of revenue opened up. I have always followe Serie A. I have seen the rapping of the smaller clubs by Milan and Juve along w/Inter. (If it wasn't for Inter's bad luck with players and poor management they could be right up there with Milan and Juve). This has forced my beloved Napoli to the lower divisions because no team expect for Milan and Juve can put the money where their mouth is. They drip all the other competition dry and force the other teams to play basically with a youth squad. Going back to the question Should there be a Salary Cap?? I think UEFA should set salary cap up for each league. Obviously each league would have a different about for their teams. I just think it would be good for competition as well as attendance in the leagues(Serie A to name one). If I think of anything else to put into this post, I will add later..

2. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Great idea - especially the bit about the leagues having different caps.

Naturally, seeing as we're the richest league in the world, the prem will have the highest salary cap - and pretty soon all the best players to boot.

See where I'm going with this?

3. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    It would just lower the standards. And UEFA wouldn't do it because it would mean their money-spinning Champions League would have a massive drop in quality and therefore attendances/ratings.

Poor leagues would lose even more of their best players as big fish in small ponds like Celtic, PSV etc would find themselves in leagues with tiny salary caps. It would effectively end all Scottish participation in Europe.

4. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would suck. the rule should be no teams allowed to participate in uefa events if they are in debt.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    You want Barcelona to be kicked out? You're in MASSIVE debt.

Besides, none of these ideas would ever get past the EU antitrust laws. Its the equivalent of discussing the merits of adding Moon Base FC and Alpha Centaury United to UEFA.

6. happy

happy Member

Nov 23, 2004
  7. Jay00

Jay00 Red Card

Dec 28, 2005
    The magical island
    This should be indivdual FA's decesion not UEFA.

8. Qdog

Qdog Member

May 8, 2002
    Andalusia
    Club:
    Sevilla FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intriging idea. I think Astabooty migh on to something there.

If it ever happens it will be based on revenues, not the league. Thus, the big teams will stay big and the small teams will stay small. If they do include debt in the picture that would have a much bigger impact.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    but how do you apply a cap across countries? Countries have different currencies. Those currencies fluctuate in value. Countries have different tax rates and different costs of living. And without being too controversial, different countries would have rather different attitudes to making sure their teams didn't break those cap rulings.

10. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I think it might be neat to 'nationalize' the pro sport in a way. Call the top leagues "public treasures" or something, and milk a lot of the cash out of it to lower ticket costs, tv costs, and taxes. Make some sort of cap... something maybe quite dynamic. Like a portion of turnover or something.

Of course it would be a bad idea to try to make controls in ways that couldn't be properly enforced.

Europe isn't the USA. Laws get changed sometimes.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    The idea is sexy, in a way. It's something of the same teams every year - there is just no bloody way Forest would ever be able to win two European Cups in a row ever again - and more parity wouldn't be a bad idea. But a salary cap is too complicated and difficult to properly implement.

What I would like to see is implementing the contracted clause from baseball, where for the first six year of a player's career, he is controlled by his club. Six years may be too long for a sport like football where the shelf life is shorter (perhaps four or five?), but the aspect I enjoy is that it does give very smart teams on a budget a chance to win as they develop youth.

12. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    On the other hand it means they can't cash in on them. And not particularly fair on the player if he plays for an awful club that's mismanaged with a backroom setup which is detrimental to his well-being (i.e. if the coach breaks peoples legs in training), or they don't have adequate training facilities.

Small clubs would find it harder to get young players to play for them if they might get stuck there for half a decade, being paid peanuts because they can't go anywhere else.

And it wouldn't help the national teams if up-and-coming talent is stuck playing in the fourth division on mud pitches until they're in their early twenties.

13. BigEastEnder

BigEastEnder New Member

Dec 25, 2005
    UK
    As a suppoter of a bottle table club just promoted to the EPL I am all for it for the future of CL glory

As a fan of the sport I have to say no and it will ruin the game in UEFA at the club level.

14. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I think that this is in obvious fact. If your a fan of a big club now, you probably are not a big fan of a salary cap. If your a fan of the mid table or one of the yo-yo teams (a team that goes back and forth between leagues), then your a supporter of it. I just think I would like to see more parity in the different leagues. I would like to look at the leauge tables in the begining of the year and think that teams like Palermo, West Ham and Mallorca could honeslty win the league.
    I think you would have to different limits in each country. Setting that limit would be a big issue. The bottom feeder teams are going to be the only teams happy with what ever the limit may be.
    As a side theory, I think it would be good if the leagues narrowed the amount of teams relegated or promoted. I think it should be a maximum of 1 maybe 2 teams relegated in each leage. This would help the yo-yo teams out by at least giving them something to build on if they were able to stay up.

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Errr... I'm a fan of a medium sized club and can't see any advantages with a salary cap.

16. Devilish Red

Devilish Red New Member

May 23, 2004
    Erm...............have you thought this through?

17. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The answer to that would be no.

18. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Originally Posted by Prenn
    I think by having a salary cap in place teams in that are usually in the mid table would be able to keep their budding stars(Rooney-Everton), with out having to compete with the big clubs that offer tons money that the mid to lower table teams can't match. Most of the time clubs like Juve, Man U and Real buy player x at a high price and then the player sits on the bench doing nothing. Were as player x can be an impact player for the mid-level team and help them out.

Originally Posted by Devlish Red
    Well it is something that is quite outlandish I know, but the teams that are in constent league shuffle never make any money. I thought if you had a larger core of teams that stayed in the top leauge year in and year out, they would be able to build on their fan base and actually make money. With that money they could buy better players. Again, a bit outlandish I know.

19. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, that just means that Wayne Rooney gets paid less. Unless of course you want a flat cap for all teams as opposed to one linked to income then we end up with a ********, but competetive league. No thanks, I'd rather have it the way it is now with teams like Barca, Liverpool, Chelsea, Juve than Charlton + Van Nistelrooy, Fulham + Henry, Man Utd - everyone but Rooney.

Hey, he was right. You haven't put any thought into this.

20. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Prenn,
    No offense, but you would rather see Man U and Arsenal win the EPL title year after year and die never seeing Bolton Wanderers win a title??? I think with a salary cap in place this would even the odds for the mid to lower level teams.

21. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Were you not paying attention where it was pointed out that if there was a salary cap, all the top players would leave? Less top players, less TV interest. Less TV interest, less TV revenue. Less revenue, weaker clubs. Weaker clubs, the top players would leave. Repeat until the premiership is on par with Belgium.

I know you believe a cap would result in the top players being distributed among all the clubs, because that's what happens in America, but this isn't America, and we aren't playing sports where we operate an effective cartel. NFL players don't have a pick of other leagues to go to if they aren't happy with the pay on offer. Players here do.

The problem here isn't that Man Utd and Arsenal are so massively huge compared to everyone else (Liverpool pull in just as much money as Arsenal, for example), more that the CL TV money gives them a £20 million advantage every year.

They are also well-managed, both at boardroom and pitch level. That is very rare.

22. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    UEFA doesn't need a salary cap. It needs to levy taxes on those clubs with an exboratant wage bill and income and refund the difference back to the lower leagues to stop a Chelsea happening whilst there are a York City and a Telford going on.

A Francais style DNCG would be most welcome too. At least it would stop teams in debt from going out and spending money they don't have, to take on a Leeds gamble.

The problem is trying to implement an American system in an European framework.

Square peg - Round hole.

23. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    I think two things effectively screwed soccer in the UK.

1) The abolition of the maximium wage (Thanks Jimmy)
    2) The Bosman Ruling (Thanks EU)

I think a propsed third would do more damage than good, despite it being hyped as a new wave forward for the game.

Hey, where did we hear that before? :rolleyes:

24. balla

balla Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Melbourne,Australia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    No because then when I play for one of the big clubs I wont earn as much. :D :D

25. Predator67

Predator67 New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    Salary cap should be for every pro sport team. It's like playing poker with one guy having a $5 bank roll and the other having unlimited funds with out any max bet. the $5 man will get lucky once in a while why the other guy wins 99% all the other times. Look at baseball in America the yankees buy all the best Free agents that is why they are always going to win. Just don't let the players in Europe make a Union or it will be all over just like it is in America