Should the USMNT boycott the WC in a Russia 2018.

Discussion in 'International News' started by Schapes, Jul 23, 2014.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Two guys who would hardly be unbiased observers of the incident.

The burden of proof is equally on you then to indicate that the Reagan Administration's day-later account is accurate. Here's a hint: it wasn't.

I think the US will be playing with itself unless the UN somehow manages to pass sporting sanctions on Russia despite Russia having a security council veto.

2. Schapes

Schapes Member

Aug 20, 2001
    My opinion. That is not how debate works.

I present my argument and proof.

You present yours.

I look forward to your proof.

I don't know. If Europe really wanted to send a message - that would be a big message.

I don't think Europe really wants to send a message though. Then they deserve what they get then.

3. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    By that measure we should be kicked out from international competitions forever. I mean our actions with the drone program and zealous prosecution of suspected terrorists has killed a helluva lot more innocent people than were on that plane.

What bunch of semantic pooh actions are generally informed by policy.Drawing arbitrary distinctions to make us look better is so 'merican of you.

4. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a politics thread, but @Schapes seems to know that already. Please don't start threads like this in News and Analysis again. I've moved it to the Politics forum.

5. KC96

KC96 Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City

I agree that it should be in Politics forum, although it's now in the News (see link), so should it go back to News and Analysis?

Even though I think it's a bad idea to boycott Russia, apparently Germany is publicly floating this idea now.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...of-world-cup-2018-germany-makes-the-argument/

Friedel'sAccent repped this.
  6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Odd that someone would be so trusting of Reagan Administration officials' accounts but not be willing to spend a few minutes digging for other information.

Here's the wikipedia page for it. And if you don't like that, there are a ton of citations there that will provide you with useful information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_Air_Flight_655

7. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given the tone this thread immediately took in the US forum, I'm reasonably confident that it will be mostly politics-driven going forward. It's also not necessarily US-specific enough. This isn't intended to stifle conversation of the matter, because it's certainly worthy of discussion; it just strikes me as better suited for P+CE for now.

KC96 and y-lee-coyote repped this.
  8. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm boycotting the Moon in the year 3030. I have it on good authority there will be Mooninite atrocities prior.

Already they taunt me.

[​IMG]

Chesco United repped this.
  9. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Welcome back Schapesbot! I was going to seriously reply to you until I realized who you were. The accounts on the internet in which what an idiot Capt. Rogers is shown to be is accurate. I was in the gulf at that time, the guy was a ********ing cowboy that got away with murder.

10. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Boycott FIFA!!

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #36 Alberto, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    FIFA should take the World Cup away for the invasion and annexation of Crimea and portions of the eastern Ukraine.