Should the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup has a title sponsor?

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by pc4th, Jul 2, 2009.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For example, Aon Lamar Hunt US Open Cup

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/sports/soccer/04soccer.html

Even if it is worth only $2 mil a year, this would give the tournament a huge boost in term of revenue. The winner of the Cup can get a price money of $1 mil. More teams will take this tournament more seriously which mean higher attendance, sponsorship and better tv coverage.

FA Cup sponsored by E.ON is a 4 years £40 million. If US Open doesn't want a straight title sponsor, it could do something like the FA Cup.

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Aon.

2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, it should has a title sponsor. May I suggest icanhascheezburger.com

3. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe we can get a company that makes Scotch to be the sponsor. ;)

4. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, that's a great idea. They already have the history with the tournament. And their Scotch is very good, my wife's favorite!

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did I know who started this thread before I even clicked on it?

I can has title sponzer?

Got news for you: seems to me like few people are even referring to it as the Lamar Hunt US Open Cup. Good luck getting another name in there.

If anything, they should drop the "US Open" part of it. Just go with "Lamar Hunt Cup."

6. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    http://national.soccerhall.org/Monthly Column/MC.August.2005.htm

The oldest trophy in the United States team sports history was donated to the American Amateur Football Association in 1912 by Sir Thomas R. Dewar, a British distiller, sportsman and philanthropist during a AAFA (now known as United States Amateur Soccer Association) visit to London prior to the 1912 Olympics.

The trophy was originally purchased for $500 and given in the hope of promoting soccer in the United States and in the name of Anglo-American friendship. The cup was first awarded to the Yonkers Football Club (NY) in 1912 after they defeated the Hollywood Inn Football Club (NY) at the Lennox Oval in New York City. The trophy was officially adopted as the U.S. Open Cup trophy prior to the Brooklyn Field Club's inaugural championship in 1914 in Pawtucket, RI. The trophy was retired in 1979, but was refurbished by the USASA in 1997 and was presented to the 1997 and 1998 Open Cup winners, before permanently retiring to the National Soccer Hall of Fame in Oneonta, NY.

[​IMG]
    Sir Thomas Dewar Cup

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think they use that one anymore.

8. IKickAndIm50

IKickAndIm50 Member

Apr 13, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think it should have a title sponsor. Lamar Hunt US Open Cup, sponsored by ________. It would help with a lot of things probably, such as making this tourny more relevant.

9. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Anything that gives the USSF more money to promote the tournament and anything that gives bigger prize money to the teams, thus getting the players to care more, is a good thing.

If a title sponsor can help bring this, it can't happen soon enough.

10. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see no reason not to have a sponsor

11. Gavroche

Gavroche New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Who is going to sponsor it?

The main attraction to a sponsor is being able to increase the prize money, no? The tournament has zero national television presence. All but one of the matches this year has pulled in less than 7k people; most have been in the 2-3k range.

That's a pretty small group to be advertising to.

Which Fortune 500 companies are going to line up to slap their name on that at a rate where the prize money actually increases? You think U.S. Bank or Google just can't wait to pay $5M a year for that? You think Nike-- which would stand to potentially benefit from overpaying as a sponsor and subsidizing the prize money-- is going to want to?

I'm sure that you could find a sponsor; don't get me wrong. But it wouldn't bring in the money to make it worth it, unless you place the value as a $10,000 check + a month of free groceries from Kroger.

12. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody is asking for $5 mil. I'm guessing $2 mil is the most they will get.

FA Cup sponsored by E.ON is worth about $17 mil a year for 4 years for comparision. $2 mil doable? Maybe. The sponsor should think long-term and sponsor over several years....put up the condition that the prize money will be $1 mil to the winning team, not $100,000. The sponsor gets exposure from PDL, USL-2, USL-1 and MLS. If I'm going to choose between a shirt sponsor for a MLS team for $2 mil a year or US Open Cup title sponsor for $2 mil a year....I would go with US Open Cup. The total attendance for US Open Cup > total attendance for that MLS team. Same with media exposure.

$1 mil to win the tournament...that has the berth to the Champions League, the tournament will be taken more seriously.

The sponsor should tie it up with 7 years deal for $14 mil total.

Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Aon
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Sony
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Red Bull
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Honda
    Lamar Hunt US Open Cup sponsored by Toyota

Maybe just US Open Cup sponsored by Qwest

Name the trophy after Lamar Hunt? Would that work?

13. Gavroche

Gavroche New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    There's no way that the US Open Cup pulls in $2M. The middle-tier college football bowl games (you know, the ones on ESPN) pull in $2M. The BCS games pull in $5M-$6M. No way is the Open Cup in that company.

Wrong.

Average MLS attendance: 30 matches x 15,000/game= 225,000 home fans, 450,000 total (sponsorship works both home and road, you know)

2008 USOC attendance for the MLS rounds (1/8 final through finals): 4461/match. Even if that had been the average for the first two rounds (you know, with PDL and USASA clubs) that falls 50,000 short of the average MLS club's home attendance. It's less than 40% of the exposure when you consider road matches.

MLS hardly has great media exposure, but they do have a weekly ESPN match. The Gold Cup is televised by, uh, local TV and USLlive.com? You also have exposure through, uh, jersey sales and the like. You realize that every Beckham jersey sold at Scheel's or the adidas store has the Herbalife logo, no?

14. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And you'd be fired.

Not even remotely close.

Total attendance to this point in the 2009 US Open Cup: 78,972 (with one game I don't have - Wilmington vs. Chicago). With two semifinals and a final yet to be played.

Lowest total attendance (home and road) by an MLS team in 2009: 171,606 by New England with 17 games left to be played. Lowest total attendance (home and road) by an MLS team in 2008: 397,605 by Kansas City.

118,453 is the highest total (with three games missing) for an Open Cup tournament in the modern era. Miami drew 119,000 just at home in the worst attendance year by a team in the history of the league.

Which is, if you've ever tried to follow the USOC, not even remotely close to the same level of media exposure as an MLS match.

15. carella211

carella211 Member

Apr 6, 2009
    2-0-6!
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    if the mls and teams would just ADVERTISE this fracking tourny, then more of the casual soccer fans would actually know about it and more would go. hence giving a sponsor a reason to lay down some dough for the sponsorship. yes, a sponsor would be great. but first, maybe this league should take this tournament more seriously. and imo, the first thing i would do, is to have this tourny in the offseason so you're seeing teams at full strength instead of having mls sides play their waterboys and ballgirls. right after the mls championship would be great. interest in soccer would still be high and players would still be in good shape. either that, or maybe stop the season half-way through, and play the tourny. shorten it up a bit so it's not too long also. then pick up the season after the cup's over. idk, i just think looking for a sponsor before fixing this cup and making it worthwhile is putting the cart before the horse.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unlikely. It's still a tournament on bad dates. There's a reason casual fans are casual. They don't go to hardcore things on this on bad (and nearly consecutive) Tuesdays or Wednesdays on short notice. Nor are they likely to just because you tell them they should. Come see the Wilmington Hammerheads? Not much juice there.

And you'd have no PDL teams and probably no USL teams. You do realize that PDL teams can only use their college players from May 1 until mid-August and that USL-2 teams have a short season and USL-1 teams don't usually keep all of their players together in the offseason, right?

Other than that, it's a perfect plan.

And it would be an MLS/partial USL-1 only tournament. That what you want?

17. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You sir, are a one man wrecking crew. I commend you for staying firmly rooted in reality.

18. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the purse at present, 100K?

You dont have to make it a 1,000,000 for teams to care. if the purse even doubled or tripled youd could get MLS teams to care. a $10,000 bonus check for these guys is HUGE.

The tournament should absolutely have a title sponsor. No reason not to. And it doesnt have to be rediculous money. Just find someone willing to sign a reasonable contract over a longer term. Like a 7 year/ 2 or 3 million dollar deal (400K+ per year). That way the tournament benefits and as the tournament grows the sponsor will benefit from the investment. If you can get more money, great, but the tournament needs more exposure and fewer reserve squads if it is going to grow.

Without sacrificing when it occurs and the spirit of an 'all comers' tournament, sponsor dollars are the best way. But finding somebody willing to drop in excess of a million a year is a bit, far-fetched, to be nice.

19. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    US Open Cup sponsored by adidas
    US Open Cup sponsored by Nike

$500,000 a year for 10 years would only cost $5 mil. This is tiny in comparison to $65 mil for 4 years to sponsor the FA Cup by E.ON. I'm sure either one of those two giants would be interested.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess they just haven't been asked, then. Yeah, that must be it. Nike outfits the national teams, but they just haven't been asked to pony up $5M more for the USOC. Okay.

21. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    US Soccer has enough funds to pony up the prize money if it wished.

22. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think that $500,000 a year to be the title sponsor of the US Open Cup is not doable?

23. Mullet&Talon

Mullet&Talon New Member

Jul 20, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not even a Cup. A trophy, yes. But not a Cup.

24. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If it were doable, it would be done.

25. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The USSF is a nonprofit, and as such must file a Form 990 with the IRS covering their assets, revenues, and expenses.

Please get a copy of this document and show me where in the budget that prize money is going to come from.