Should the catholic church change & listen to the voice of the people?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by DJPoopypants, Jun 28, 2005.

1. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm not up to speed with catholic dogma, i have no idea about it. It just appears to me that a 1500-year old complex theology inherently contains contradictions which it resolves on a regular basis. Killing is bad, but not if it's in self-defense, etc.

2. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rhetoric? I wish it was, to be honest.

For solely the sub-Saharan African region:

http://www.unaids.org/en/geographical+area/by+region/sub-saharan+africa.asp

Adults and child deaths
    due to AIDS in 2004

2 300 000

(range: 2 100 000- 2 600 000)

3. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wrong CFinDC...read the Encyclicals...

4. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Back it up baby, I got all night. :D

5. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    So how about those already infected??

6. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    And your point of view is that the Vatican is responsible for all of those deaths? You're absurd.

7. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Of course it doesn't work -- the church can't ban people from doing what they want. But if a particular Catholic decides he won't have sex until he gets married, surely this will indeed work and keep him from contracting AIDS -- provided he won't contract it through a doctor or a dentist.

8. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    The Catholic Church fully realizes that a married couple engages in intercourse for purposes other than procreation. Ever hear of the rhythm method?
    Please include your retraction and/or apology in your response.

9. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When you're the major health care provider on a continent and you refuse to distribute condoms or provide medically accurate information? There is some blame to be placed.

You're getting angrier as this progresses - how come? ;)

10. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be honest on this point, DynamoKiev_USA... I don't know!

I am searching for an Encyclical or official guidance on those already infected; I don't see anything specifically on it! I'll continue to check, but I think if you are looking for a pass on the rules just because of a medical exception, forget it!

As I said, I don't see, or don't know, but I think the Church's rules apply generally...

I can't imagine bending the rules based on prior sin....

11. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown

If you are a Catholic, nobody is making you stay. If not, you don't have any right to tell the Church how its must change. I don't tell Jews, Muslims or any other religion how they must conform with the whims of modern society.

Yeah, Ratzinger is the anti-Christ and I am his helper. Looking for souls to convert to the dark side.

12. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Care to cite that part of the encyclical that states that? You or Father Dougal can take this one.

13. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Dude it's not based on "prior sin" -- it's based on the fact that you will *kill* your spouse if you have relations with her while infected. Sin has nothing to do with it, for all you know aids could've been contracted from a dentist.

14. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's common knowledge that the Church allows the rhythm method. I don't think citations are called for. Hell, they taught it to me in great detail at St Mary's Domincan High School. I've gotta say that was some handy knowledge to have.

15. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should talk to your local Priest; most Churches have/offer handouts on various topics, based on Church policy/dogma. Sex and intimacy within the bond of marriage exists; i.e., love within the traditional marriage is, of course, allowed, but not outside of such marriage. You should also read some of the links to Vatican policy already cited. The Catholic Church is by no means closed mouth with its policy; there are a variety of web links to American Diocese/Churches which freely disseminate guidance to address your questions...

16. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    My understanding of the rhythm method is to track when intercourse should take place to ensure conception occurs, not as a guide for enjoyable sex.

I could be wrong however, I ended up skipping those classes and reading Our Bodies Our Selves. :D

17. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It can be used for both things. It was taught to us as a means to prevent pregnancy.

Didn't you say someplace that you're Catholic? Because that's a weird piece of knowledge for a Catholic woman to not have.

18. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Because you choose to be glib, baiting and offensive when, for once, someone is trying to engage in civilized discussion.

19. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd rather hear it from you - after all, you seem to be the BS resident expert on the Sacred Doctrine of the Faith.

And while you're at, still waiting on official Vatican policy concerning the ability of a spouse to protect herself from her partner who is infected.

20. Riz

Riz Member+

Nov 18, 2004
    R-ville, Murrlin
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I am, I just honestly blanked on the pregnancy prevention angle. My bad.

21. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Request you drop the "Dude" reference... and you answered your own question! "...the fact that you will *kill* your spouse if you have relations with her while infected..." Then don't.

You are confusing sex with love; if you really love her, and are infected, then to so engage, jeopardizes her life... You have your answer but you seem to refuse to accept it, in my opinion.

22. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never said I was! And if you scroll backward a few posts, you'll see the link I gave to just that office in the Pentagon. Did you read that information?

You know I tried to engage in civilized debate on this issue, while citing references for my allegations...seems you just wish to criticize...

23. DynamoKiev_USA

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    :eek: :D :D

I don't care to accept it or not, I'm not Catholic, I want to understand the logic. They are saying that a husband should never have relations with his wife if infected, and he should not attempt to use a condom? Okay.

By the way, is divorce still banned by the catholic church?

24. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry...the Boss (GWB) is going to speak and I want to hear him...I'm done here....

25. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0

Yes. You can petition for an annulment in some cases, but divorce is prohibited. People who are divorced aren't even supposed to take Communion.