Should the Burn rebrand when the new stadium is built?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2003.

1. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    I like Ghanian soccer names.

Hearts 3 - 0 Stay Cool
    Bofoakwa 1 - 0 Olympics
    Kotoko 3 - 0 Okwawu United
    Berekum Arsenal 2 - 0 Mines Stars
    Hasaacas 1 - 1 King Faisal
    Power FC 0 - 1 Heart of Lions
    Real Tamale United 1 - 0 Goldfields
    Liberty Professionals 4 - 0 Brong-Ahafo United

I suggest the Frisco Kids. Soundsl like Cisco Kids, no?

Frisco is just not hip enough for the Frisco Rude Boys or the Frisco Monkey Men.

I think we should reserve Real Tamale United for San Antonio or some other Meskin team.

2. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    NOW we're into the spirit of things ;)

3. The Vorpal Blade

The Vorpal Blade New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    Jeez. This subject keeps coming up in one thread after another like a frikkin' Michael Jackson video zombie crawling out of the ground, refusing to die. I'm out of town for a couple of weeks, and return to a Civil War. It's ridiculous. We need a silver bullet, or a burning stake in the heart, or whatever kills a zombie.
    IT'S the DALLAS BURN! ALWAYS AND FOREVER! RED AND BLACK! FIRE-BREATHING ELECTRIC HORSE! OUR TEAM, RIGHT OR WRONG! LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT! You can't keep tradition by changing everything when something goes awry! Like Butch Cassidy said, "Boy, a little cloud in your sky, and you go all to pieces!" Whatever change we need is in the PLAY of the TEAM to bring back the PRIDE and SUCCESS of this franchise.
    I think about Schalke 04, in the Bundesliga, their motto "Einmal Schalke, Immer Schalke" (Once Schalke, Always Schalke). Now that's tradition. You can't get that thru slick marketing, or a trendy name or logo. You get it by STICKING WITH WHAT YOU HAVE thru thick AND thin.
    But we could bring back the wasabi for the 3rd jersey. BUT THAT'S NOTHING NEW!
    You guys have upset me no end.

4. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I'd rather the long off-season see topics that, whether "legitimate" or "obtuse", "comical" or "re-dredged", it shows that fans still care about this team.

Let's not let this past season dry up this forum because we're all super-sensitive about our perceptions on a return to success. The recent failings of the Dallas Burn organization do not have to be reflected in the loss of posters in this forum.

I recently learned of a long-time, very dedicated friend to other Burn fans - is not returning for next season due to the down-spiral. I found this extremely disheartening. But, on the same token, it reminded me of what it takes to be a hardcore fan.

Participation, participation, participation. The best thing I've ever done for this team is inspire others to join a fan club. Hardcore fans become stronger when they all come together as one. This forum also brings fans together and only helps the Burn - even if it's topics that sometimes disgust; or even infuriate other fans, it's still valuable participation.

This league needs all the participation it can attract. And so does the Burn.

So I don't care if topics are rehashed, beaten from a horse to a pig, or bastardized into quasi-human, fire-breathing vitriol, spewed from the jaws of Hades itself - it means that we still care.

Condemn if you must, but instigate in other areas if you will. It's all good, and it equals support, even if it doesn't look that way on the surface.

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey - I'd be thrilled if "96" was added to the team name. I have always thought "Dallas Burn 96" sounds pretty cool - same name and a twist to a nickname - the 96ers. Instant tradition.

But you know Schalke started out in 1904 as "Sportclub Westfalia 1904 Schalke" then on Jan 5 1924 the name changed to "FC Schalke 04" and the club colors changed from red and yellow to blue and white.

Sometimes tradition changes and things get better.

Again I am not advocating a team name change - though I like 96 tagged on the end or a club color change. The electric horse can go, though and die when the Dragon dies. 2 fire breathers relegated to the forgotten scrap heap of history of bad ideas.

6. The Vorpal Blade

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    Well, I have no good answer for that, so I'll try this: at least they waited 20 years before changing their name and colors. They didn't give it up at the drop of a hat. And I'll bet they didn't change because fans groused about their name. Probably bought by some beer baron who's favorite colors were blue and white. I've got a friend in Germany who is a fanatic Schalker, I'll ask him why.
    And sir, I bow to your vastly superior knowledge of soccer history.

7. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    A different perspective...

We know that most other countries are already steeped in soccer tradition and that; not only is the United States a young country, soccer is yet young here and a fifth major at that. Soccer has been the number one sport in most of these countries for many-a-year, so traditional, identifiable/valuable names have already been established. The wide fan-bases of these teams easily identify with their teams. Their part of their communities.

Well, MLS is nowhere near "established". Changes are expected to be made when you are trying to solidify a relationship in the market you are in. And the fact that soccer is the fifth major, it makes it all-that-much-more-difficult to accomplish.

Should it really surprise anyone that retractions, expansions, rule changes, major investors (or lack thereof), officiating, world opinion - all changes? And if there's any country in the world that has more variables involved when markets are considered; what other country is there that doesn't have soccer as it's first major sport - have more possible growing pains?

But, relatively speaking, we can agree that name changes in MLS have not been prevelent.

Aside from the obvious identity nurturing (like the name or not) that has occured with most regular fans of the Burn over these growth years; has there been precedent set where we should go through a name change? Are we telling the rest of MLS that when you go to what is thought of as a long-term home for your SSS - you should re-introduce yourself to the rest of the soccer world? Did Columbus do it? L.A.?

Why should Dallas be any different?

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm not saying change the name, but consider changing the colors from red to orange(like Wolves) to add a variety. Not right away, but down the road.

Kit makers-scrap athletica and grab Nike or Adidas.

Crest-down with the funny looking horse and lets come up with something a bit more creative. Lets use the Inferno crest(just an idea).

9. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If your team is going to change its name, it makes a lot more sense to change it early in the club's history rather than 20 or 30 years down the road.

The Burn are still a relatively low profile team in the Dallas sports market, and the team could change its name without too much of an impact on its popularity in the local community.

But 30 years from now, when the Burn have hopefully surpassed the Texas Rangers as Dallas' favorite summer team, it would be impractical, and probably counterproductive, to change the team's name.

Usually the only time teams make a major change to their nickname is early in their history (eg Houston Colt 45s -> Houston Astros; New York Highlanders -> New York Yankees) or if they move to another city (eg Washington Senators -> Texas Rangers; Houston Oilers -> Tennessee Titans).

So if the Burn don't change their name in the next year or two, it's unlikely they'd ever change their name as long as they remain in the Dallas area.

10. The Vorpal Blade

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    Well, I said it wasn't a good answer... but it was all I could come up with.

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet merciful crap. Not Nike. The first five years, this team was outfitted by Nike and they sucked ass.

For one thing, they didn't offer a good variety of Burn gear. It was pretty much just a home replica, a few t-shirts, and a baseball cap or two. Atletica offers a much greater variety of Burn gear.

For another thing, when Nike changed the shirt, it was pretty hit-or-miss with when they would actually have the replica in stores. Atletica has been much quicker about that.

Finally, the Nike gear was low quality crap. Honestly, the highest quality Burn replica that I've owned -- BY FAR -- has been the 2001-02 Atletica replica. And I've got the Nike '96, '97, '98-99, and 2000 replicas to compare it to. There's simply no comparison. (However, I've got no clue how good the 2003 Atletica replica is. I haven't bought it yet.) I've got an Atletica Burn polo shirt that I wear to work occasionally. It's very comfortable, tasteful, and high-quality.

All in all, I've been very happy with Atletica and I hope that the Burn stick with them.

But I'm not alone in my disdain for Nike. Go over to the Fire boards and ask them about their Nike experience and whether or not they prefer their current Puma deal. Or ask the Gals, Metros, and Quakes fans what they think of Nike. Chances are, they'd drop Nike in a second if it were up to them.

12. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Obviously somebody who has never been to Dallas during the summer.

13. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    On page one I was in favor of switching to orange because I think it is more conducive to the summer sun and I like the color. The color orange reminds me of those great Dutch national teams. I actually like our red & black look, but I think it suffers from other MLS clubs encroaching on the look. It's amazing that marketing conscience New York hasn't cracked down on infringement of other clubs colors.

Anyway, after seeing the Stars and Mavs new 3rd jerseys I think we should stick to our current red & black jerseys because in this era of bad taste it's far too risky making any changes to our uniforms.

As for the Burn name, I really don't have a problem with it. Actually I've grown to like it, whether it is from familiarity or genuine like I'm not sure. Anyway, as I mentioned the only name that would tempt me away from "Burn" is the Dallas Tornado name as I have fond memories of attending games at Ownby and Texas Stadium. For me it would be nice to link the two franchises to demonstrate that the professional soccer legacy in Dallas goes further back than the mid 90s. Anyway, I can appreciate that other Burn fans have different memories and have no attachment to the previous club. Just sort of wishful thinking on my part because as mentioned earlier not much of an option with the hockey team in Frisco taking the name first.

14. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it shocking that you don't like this:

[​IMG]

15. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the horse on the Burn logo really suppose to allude to Mobil Oil? I never completely understood why a horse was chosen for the name "Burn".

16. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, Ghana is definitely up there as having some of the best team names. My personal favorites are "Stay cool" and "Hearts of Oak". Very nice.

17. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell team is that? The Chicago Houston Dallas Bulls Texans Stars. Geez beasties.

And screw Nike. El Jefe is right. The Atletica stuff is far superior to what Nike dropped off.

And the 2003 jerseys are very nice. I like them more than the 2001-2002 shirts, which were my previous all-time faves.

I hope we stick with Atletica and get the options to buy stuff that the Rapids has, at least thru the old bigsoccer store (which actually sold MLS stuff) like training gear / track suits etc...But I read somewhere that the Burn were looking at other suppliers, which is only fitting.

18. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't "Gold Coast Mysterious Dwarfs [sic] FC" from Ghana?

19. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Well, I like it better than the Mavs 3rd unis. ;)

20. Texan

Texan New Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Pegasus is sort of the unofficial symbol of Dallas due to a fluorescent Pegasus sign on the old Mobil building in downtown.

21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mind bringing your 2000 replica with you Sunday(or Friday if you aren't at the game). How much would you sell it for?

22. italchacao

italchacao New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin TX
    real tamale united?
    :)

23. The Vorpal Blade

Jul 22, 2003
    I Have
    It's an alien uterus with some weird fallopian tubes, one of which is sporting a tumor. Who wouldn't like it?

24. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    photoshop

Would someone who knows how to work with photoshop make some orange burn jersey ideas that we could see? Also has anyone seen the badge with the Burn Horse on it? It's gold and red? I love it and think it should be the official logo for the burn, I think it is on www.3rddegree.net check it out.

25. futuregrace

futuregrace Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is a link to the logo I am talking about. I don't know where a big version is, but I would love for The Burn to adopt this logo. Let me know what y'all think. Perhaps we could make red and gold our colors. This gold not yellow.

http://www.3rddegree.net/images/logos/oarskee_small.jpg