Should the Burn rebrand when the new stadium is built?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Knave, Oct 27, 2003.

1. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I can appreciate that. Believe me, I'm no great fan of the name and it certainly wouldn't have been my first choice. But we can agree that that sort of talk was a lot more muted when we had the third-best record in the league last year.

I guess winning does cure a lot of ills.
    Fair enough. For what it's worth, here's an example that might be more germaine to our current team:

The Philadelphia Phillies were bad year in and year out in the late Thirties and early Fourties. In fact, between 1936 and 1942, they lost 100 games a year every year except for 1937. So in 1942, while they were going 42-109, they got a new owner, who held a "name the team" contest, and "Blue Jays" was chosen. In 1943 and 1944, the Philadelphia Blue Jays went 64-90 and 61-92. In 1945, the name "Phillies" returned and it's remained ever since. And the Phillies didn't win their first National League pennant until 1950 or their first (and only) World Series until 1980.

Mind you, we've only had one bad season. But I guess that's my problem here. It's that it seems to me that people want to throw the baby out with the bathwater over one bad season. It all seems so knee-jerk. If this sort of discussion was happening when we were our usual competent selves or on the heels of several straight losing seasons, that would be different, I guess. At least the Clash spent three straight seasons in the cellar before that name got the heave-ho.
    Well, if people want a name change because they don't like the name, that's one thing. But the whole "change the name because the team sucks" line of thinking is so short-sighted. Believe me, the stench rising from a 2005 Dallas Diablos team that goes 6-19-5 isn't going to be any more pleasant than the stench rising from the 2003 Dallas Burn.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking back through this thread, maybe I shouldn't have been so harsh in my criticism, since almost everyone who is a fan of this team said "keep the name," even if they said "change the logo" or whatever.

Most of the "change the name" folks are fans of other teams. So I guess I shouldn't have been so hard on my fellow Burn fans.

This season has given me an itchy trigger finger, I suppose.

3. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are some pretty darn strong accusations - care to back them up with some detail? I don't see the Burn's numbers out of whack from the rest of the league prior to this season, and were doing it on a smaller budget.

Mediocre play? I'll take the Burn's history of the history of most of the teams in the league - only Chicago, DC and LA are more decorated and the rest are either about the same or worse.

And if you would stop farting... ;-)

Seriously, though, there are a lot of people who have found a way for the name "Dallas Burn" to be something pretty cool. You may not get it, and the average Joe Six-Pack may not get it right away, but whether you believe it or not, the Dallas Burn has become more than just a name and a collection of people.

4. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Re: Appreciate the Tornado, but don't bring 'em back

Drum'r Boy. I happen to agree. It was not my idea to change the name to the Tornado. Someone else mentioned it in an earlier post. I just said I liked it, and then had a brief walk down memory lane. I and my two children have t-shirts, equipment bags, and other "Burn" items. I follow them, but being 500 miles away, I guess I'm really more of a "league" fan.

BTW Thank you for responding in a respectful manner.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Appreciate the Tornado, but don't bring 'em back

You're welcome - and I do try to as often as possible.

500 miles away? Well, if you're interested in getting any old tape, there is a link on my webpage regarding David Brett Wasser - he has TONS of old games on tape. I have a copy of a 1977 Aztecs-Tornado game where Kyle scored the winner. Pretty cool in many ways.

I think the Tornado do have a great legacy. I have no trouble with the Burn doing throwback games - even as often as once a year - and hopefully now that they are owner by HSG, they can do that.

6. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to this season, the Burn had the 4th best winning percentage in MLS History.

http://www.mlsnet.com/statistics/pdf/AT_league.pdf
    (caution large .pdf)

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand where you're coming from, and actually the Burn's name has grown on me a bit too. It's just that I think Diablos, for one, would make for a better nickname and would also have great possibilities attire-wise.

You know how they always show shots of people with Viking helmets on at Minnesota games, or cheeseheads at Packer games? Well, imagine Dustin or one of his Inferno-mates dressing up as the Devil. If it's a good costume, it would have a good chance of being briefly shown as part of the game highlights on the sports news shows and would be good PR for the team.

Anyhow, if we're going to keep the Burn as our nickname why not bring back "Disco Inferno"? That song was certainly part of club history, but for some reason seems to have been dropped in the move to Southlake. "Disco Inferno" isn't quite the same as "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a club's song, but it sure is better than nothing.

8. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

What's stopping them now? They're the Inferno.

Hand the PA guy your mix tape: Disco Inferno endlessly looped. I want to see Dustin hand his keys to Mephistopheles, get wild w/ Belial, loosener than Lucifer, bollocked like Moloch, gyratin' like Satan, doin' the rub in Club Beelzebub -the SouthLakeofHellfire Club.

Eh, maybe I'll wait for Frisco.

9. SoccerNova2009

SoccerNova2009 New Member

Aug 19, 2000
    probably at a bar
    It's a good idea to discuss this now. If a name change is going to happen the Frisco move would be the perfect time to do it. Change then or it will be Dallas Burn and forever hold your peace. Like it or not there is history now to it. Of course it is a horrible nickname. At least it is not THE worst in MLS history. Kansas City Wiz will always have that dubious distiniction.

A logo change wouldn't be bad. Mavericks changed their crappy logo a year or so ago. People responded ok to that.

All Dallas needs to do is change back to their original logo. Dallas used to have a really great logo. It was their second logo they used in '96 and '97 with just the horses head in the middle and wings going out on either side. I have it on a couple of shirts. It was always a great logo. Does anyone have a gif of it? The original version of the logo we have now also had wings on the horse.

If we let MLS decide it could end up worse. Look at the MetroStars and their new badge. A star and a soccer ball. Really clever......

10. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I too love that logo you are speaking of, I was thinking of getting a small one tatooed on my back. Maybe we could get a traditional shield that has the horse (either one) in one of the sections, that way showing our roots.

11. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just use the Inferno crest.

12. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    I think you should, like, try to celebrate the sport and how it brings people together.

The Dallas Diversity.

I can't believe that no one else thought of it.

Aren't I precious?

13. Poose

Poose New Member

Mar 17, 2001
    Re: Re-branding...

That would be PC Cobb Stadium, on the site now occupied by the Infomart.

14. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That'd be a great stadium name, or supporters section name. Very cool.

P.S. Rebranding doesn't equal a change in the name. They should tweak the horse.

15. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3rd Degree has had one posted since 1997.
    http://www.3rddegree.net/spew/logo2.htm

16. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    I can't believe how many people don't find the name just laughably absurd. The Burn? Would "the Itch" be any better? Or "the Welt"? Or "the Sore"? What kind of burn is it supposed to be, anyway? A grass burn I take it? Please change the name. I've told people there's an MLS team called "the Burn" and they've not believed I was serious. It really does sound like it should be a visiting team playing the Isotopes on the Simpsons.

17. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    First, I don't give a crap what your friends think.

Second, We've been supporting the team like rabid dogs for 8 years. Winning MLS Cup is hell of a lot more important.

Third, you are not ever going to be a Burn fan, so why should your opinion on this specific issue abour our team, matter.

Fourth, the last thing we need is to give HSG the slightest hint that form comes before substance.

Fifth. you can thank Nike for that name. They hired the teenage dweebs for the focus group that came up with "Metro" and "Mutiny" and Burn. And more to the point, it's was supposed to be Chicago's name. Lucky for them, Dougie didn't get his way with the name they were slated to get.

Sixth, Diablos is the name of the Something A baseball team in El Paso, and it's too satanic for the bible belt.

Seven, if you want an orange team to support, move to forking Holland.

Eight, yes I do think it's been talked about, because Burn is not a word that ever translated well.

Nine, I think Rogues is a decent name, translates well, and we could keep the rest exactly the same. And Rogues fits the personality of the team pretty well. But I could be the only person in the world who thinks that is a good name, which is the next point

Ten, the team has an identity, the fans are there, why mess with something of limited beneift, as proven in SJ and Metro and DC and KC. While the changes varied, nothing I've seen says "that was a must for the league," because it sold more tickets.

So, everyone please focus your talk on keeping the Goon out of MLS Cup, getting LA dumped to increase the value of their pick we have, and HIRE THE FORKING COACH ALREADY SO WE CAN GET MOVING ON MAKING SUCKLACK II A LESSER DISASTER THAN SUCKLACK I.

18. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Sheesh! I can't get over the hyper-sensitivity here over this evidently sacred name! People are actually taking this personally?!

Do I think "Burn" is a stupid name? Yes.
    Does my opinion matter? No.
    Is Bigsoccer a message board for people to spout there opinions even though they don't matter? Yes.

I think that about covers any and all relevant questions.

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I consider the name 'Burn' to be the red badge of courage.

It has grown on me. I happen to not like the plural US name method for soccer. I like Burn becasue it is more like what I would call a traditional name.

I like it when you read something like 'Snoop Dog transfers to Dallas Burn of MLS.'

And when I say traditional I don't mean like Manchester United, I mean names like 'Bethlehem Steel' or 'Chicago Sting.'

Here are a few more.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/events/competitions.sps?iType=262&icustompageid=272

20. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pots and Kettles and Black, oh my!

You missed one - why the hell should we listen to a questioning of our name from someone who supports the "Sounders." I mean, pot/kettle.

(Of course, if you were to seriously answer the question, you would then be giving basically the same answers we give as to why we don't want to change the name of the Burn. That might require you to be intellectually honest, though... Careful with that.)

But to add a bit to why the Burn works for Dallas - have you played soccer in the summer here? Have you driven in August with a broken air conditioner? (Okay, maybe that is more of a personal experience that isn't all that germaine, but there you have it.) Bottom line - it gets damn hot here, and if you take the Hell interpretation of Burn, it works. Lots of good imagery (Diablos, Phoenix, Rogues) that fits under that umbrella.

21. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too satanic for the Bible Belt? That makes it even better, then. :)

22. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Do many people outside of Dallas know about the red pegasus and the mobil/magnolia building?

'Cause they don't seem to get the connection with the hot weather and the oil/energy business. (Which makes no difference - local fans should understand the connection at some level.)

Nike did a nice job of coming up with an icon that tied you to Dallas history.

Far less esoteric than San Jose = Rosecrucians = Egyptians = Scorpions.

or

Tampa Bay = pirates = mutineers = winged space invaders.

And those were fine. Be happy you don't have a Disney name and logo like the Earthquakes or MetroStars.

23. HalaMadrid

HalaMadrid Member

Apr 9, 1999
    Actually, as I understand it, even when we were originally supposed to get the team in 1995, "Rhythm" was supposed to be the name. Then the SF deal never came about, the team was switched to Dallas, and the Nike folks used their "Dallas concept" that was dreamed up during the time every city in the continental US was bidding for an MLS team. Thus, the Burn.

When the expansion team came around in 1997, Nike was just planning on using their original 1995 Chicago team concept and plopping it on the new club. Thankfully, people with sense gave Nike the finger and come up with something Chicago could be proud of.

24. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Re: Re: Re: Appreciate the Tornado, but don't bring 'em back

That would be WAY too cool. I still have a team photo of the '77 Tornado team....

ANYway, back to the "Burn", I think in some odd way it helps that we no longer have the Wiz and Clash. Those three names always seemed to get lumped together in unflattering ways.

Cobb Stadium....Thanks Poose.

Logo - Horse head with wings: I liked that one as well. The "D" with flames wasn't too bad. Still have/wear that t-shirt around.

25. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I first heard the name, my initial though was "huh?" It is a terrible name, and should be changed.

So let us get back to basics. The most important thing the team can do is get the Russian fans back. Clearly. So change the name to Torpedo Frisco or CSKA Frisco and put a two headed eagle on the red white and blue unifroms.

Dallas Levithan sounds nice as well. Dallas Rednecks. Dallas Burp, when we get beer again.