should teams be allowed to sell dp slots back to MLS for a higher salary cap

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by chris5854, Jun 14, 2012.

?

should mls allow teams to sell back dp slots for a higher salary cap

1. yes

22.2%
  2. no

77.8%
  1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats were my next idea come in. allow teams to trade their DP slots for allocation of players. Then all the stars can go to LA and New york and the other teams get More salary cap. we then raise tha salary cap to 5 million and make the maximum salary under the cap 500,000. with three DP spots with now tax on the last one.

2. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Under the current rules, small market teams can already compete, and big spenders can lose big time. The combination of the current salary cap structure, along with the DP rules means teams can experiment a little with a player or two in order to generate revenue or whatever without (hopefully) destroying their entire team. Have you been paying attention to the league at all this year? NY and LA will probably always have some sort of advantage in that players will be attracted to bigger cities, but no salary cap or DP rule restructuring is really going to change that and the league has a pretty good record of parity as it is.

3. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every MLS team can fill it's cap because the MLS pays for it.

4. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    the three big spenders have 40 points in 39 games right now.
    Beckham won 1 title in 5 years. NYRB have trouble getting out of the first round. Toronto opened their wallets and they are as ridiculous as ever.
    RSL eats them all for lunch.

If you make the rich even teams worse, they might stop buying stars at all.

IMO, you really wanted MLS to spend more money. All the other parts are just there to make it seem elaborate and necessary.

5. chris5854

chris5854 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just think its insane that la has a salary of over 17 million and ny has a salary of 13 million and the rest of the league is somewhere between 3.5 and 4 million, I know teams with high salaries can do terrible and teams with low salaries can go great but i think thats because of other factors like coaching and ownership not their wage advantage

6. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    is he actually suggesting allocation money?
    it's my impression is that the 750k would be treated like cap space, in his view.
    And if i understand correctly, he wants to change max salary restrictions as well, so I doubt he has allocation money in mind.

either way, it's not a key problem with that idea, IMO. It's not that it's horrible proposal, it's that it's pointless, it tries to solve nonexistent problems and might actually hurt in that regard, and it involves magical money appearing from somewhere.

7. chris5854

chris5854 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also im not taking money away from rich teams i just giving more money to teams in smaller markets to spend on getting their players from a 5 to a 6 since they will never be able to attract the 8 or 9s like ny and la

8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. it has nothing to do with ownership and coaching. LA has one of the best coaches in this league and they are still a steaming pile of crap this season. Teams with high payrolls pay for their high payrolls by having an extremely limited bench. LA lost Omar Gonzalez and all of a sudden the best defense in the league is now one of the worst defense in the league. Last season the Red Bulls depth was so bad that Backe never made in substitutions because his best sub was Mehdi Ballouchy...

chungachanga repped this.
  9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    so if LA pays Beckham 100 mil a year, and RSL still beats them, will you then propose even more help to RSL than you are proposing right now just because the whole situation will look "insane"?

If there are no parity issues, there's no need to fix them.
    Otherwise you'll "fix" the system to a point where spending money on stars will put teams in a bad spot most of the time.

10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes you are. You are making every DP worth a $1.1 million hit to the cap. This means that if a team has 3 DPs, they are eating up $3.3 million of their $5.7 million cap. That is 58% of their cap space. HTF is any team going to be able to compete when that much of their cap space is taken up by 3 players?

11. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    RSL are already murdering people with their "from a 5 to a 6".
    you make teams like them better --> teams with expensive DPs get relatively worse.

Again, you need to prove a problem, then we can talk solutions.

PS: where are you taking the money that you are "giving" to smaller teams, just out of interest?

12. chris5854

chris5854 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but la wouldn't pay Beckham 100 million if they had that money they could afford 3 superstar dps in their prime, i imagine that there would be at least 3 world class players in their mid 20s who would be willing to play in mls for 33 million a year and la would beat rsl with 3 world class players. RSL doesn't compete by getting massive superstars, they compete by having a great eye for talent and developing it and using teamwork, i think teams like that should be rewarded instead of being forced to fit in a system that inherently forces teams to buy superstars in order to use up all the money they have available to pay players

13. chris5854

chris5854 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    because in the current system that same team would have the 3 dps taking up 1,000,000 dollars of cap space leaving less then 2 million meaning its the exact same percentage of the teams money spent 1.1 times x 3 = 3.3
    3 million salary cap - 1 million from the three dps = 2 million
    3.3 million plus 2 million = 5.3 million total money spent by team for players
    3.3/5.3 = is 62% of that teams total money spent
    under the current system the same team would spend even more than 58% of their salary on 3 players

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris,
    There is one very basic fact that you are ignoring. Dollars do not equal position in MLS. Here's the current payroll rank and PPG rankings:

Code:
    Team  Salary PPG
    SKC     17    1
    RSL     9     2
    NYR     1     3
    SJE     16    4
    SEA     7     5
    DCU     5     6
    VAN     4     7
    CLB     12    8
    COL     11    9
    CHI     15    10
    HOU     19    11
    NER     13    12
    CHV     14    13
    POR     6     14
    MTL     18    15
    DAL     10    16
    LAG     2     17
    PHI     8     18
    TFC     3     19
    Care to explain where the help is needed? The best team in the league by PPG is 17th in payroll, the worst has the third highest. The median payroll rank for the top 5 by PPG is 9, the median payroll rank for the bottom 5 by PPG is 8. The median PPG rank of the top 10 payrolls is 10.5, the median rank of the bottom 10 payrolls is 10.5.

15. chris5854

chris5854 New Member

May 20, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    their can be so many variables in sports if you look at a given year, but you really think money doesn't over the long run buy better teams, money buying better teams is one of the most common aspects in sports

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prove it. Provide even a scrap of evidence that the total size of a team's payroll has a relationship to their rank in MLS.

17. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what this sentence is supposed to mean.

18. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    my point is that your argument made no sense.
    "these teams aren't doing well, i don't know why, maybe coaches or whatever, but i think it's still insane how much they spend on DPs, so lets make them weaker anyway".
    That was your argument. What kind of argument is that? If there's parity, then there's parity. You are fixing a problem that does not exist.

Look, you keep trying to explain how a balanced team can compete vs. an imbalanced team with 3 DPs.
    Hell yes it can!
    That's how MLS works. That's how the rules are set up.
    You don't need to explain that. We understand, MLS understands, MLS has come up with the system you suggest in the first place.
    It's been repeated, but you really have to understand this: you aren't inventing anything here, you are just changing the numbers. MLS is already using "your" system, but numbers are different. The question is "why should MLS use your numbers"? Why not keep the current ones? I think it works fine so far, so prove that it doesn't.

19. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    This.

And even that wouldn't be enough. You would actually have to prove that spending on 1.1 mil+ DPs has huge relationship to winning.
    Because your measures are directed against teams with 1.1 mil or more expensive DPs, specifically. And you also claimed that MLS disparity is so huge right now, that even after your changes rich teams in LA/NY won't stop signing these stars.
    There's a lot you need to show here.

20. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    today: 3DPs*350k/2.81 mil cap = 37% of cap space gets "eaten" by DP cap holds
    In your system I'd say it's ~58-65%, you seem to keep changing your numbers in every other post. Either way, it's much higher.

21. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The League pays for all the salaries except the DPs

22. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That I know. What does that have to do with anything I said?

23. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, yeah. never mind. i thought somebody said that small market teams couldn't even fill their cap space.