Should Spain be banned?

Discussion in 'Spain: National Teams' started by BridgeMonkee, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Are FIFA investigating the racist crowds that were present at the PSV - Arsenal game? Or the Anderlecht - Valencia game? Weird, I thought racist crowds were only present when FIFA investigates a game :D I guess those people were just making monkey noises in a non-racist manner.

p.s. Me saying the obvious and that a big group of French voted for this racist fool that it would even be possible for him to be in the race to lead France = not defending the supporters at the England game. Just that the number of people who voted for Le Pen could fill that particular stadium, what, over a dozen times.

I wonder if the muslim women aren't allowed to wear the clothing they want in Quebec either....it's pretty much mini-me France isn't it?

2. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oscar a reminder lets keep this thread connected to football and not politics, as you know there are other forums where you can discuss politics.

Pichi
    Spanish Forum Moderator

3. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿How is that not connected to what he said? He said there are no racists in French football, when it would be statisticly impossible when so many people voted for Le Pen, that none of those people would be present at the French football games. :confused:

It's not like I'm giving a political opinion, just stating the obvious that many French people are obviously down with hating foreigners that they would vote for this guy. Meh.

4. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    I was at a college basketball game yesterday here in the States (obviously, if I'm talking about college basketball). One of our players (black) was taking free throws when I heard two people behind me making monkey noises. It pissed me off immediately and when I turned around to see who these racist a$$holes were and say something I saw that... they were both black... :confused:

5. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o was the victim of racist abuse in his side's 2-1 win over Getafe in Madrid. The home supporters directed monkey chants at the African player of the year every time he touched the ball.

Eto'o refused to comment but Getafe striker Gica Craioveanu said: "I don't agree with this behaviour. I wouldn't have liked to have been in his shoes."

As if to underline the nature of the problem in Spain, the Getafe defender Nano afterwards felt obliged to offer his opinion that the abuse was not racially motivated. "They weren't shouting at Eto'o because they are racist, it was just because they wanted to annoy him," he said.

Fifa has launched an investigation into the recent racist attacks on England players in the Spain V England game, while Uefa is looking into the racist abuse of Bayer Leverkusen's players in a Champions League game against Real Madrid.

Both incidents occurred in Real's Bernabeu stadium.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's funny that I've heard the same thing being said by the Dutch whenever there are monkey sounds being heard in their stadiums, but I've not seen you copy and paste news articles about that at all like some kind of madman on a mission. (by the by shouldn't you warn him Pichi, I thought that was a major no-no on bigsoccer. He's being totally racist towards copyrights ;) )

Or would that be another one of those cases where they are indeed making monkey sounds in a non-racist manner? :D

7. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Just trying to discuss the news that is happening in the world of football as opposed to the nonsensical pseudo-historical-political drivel that you come out with ;)

Racism is unacceptable to me whereas it doesn’t appear to bother you.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some interesting comments in this article about how racism in society can be affected by football's treatment of racist statements and actions from the terrace. The gist of the piece is that, if the football authorities react vigorously to stamp out such activities, they can play a significant role in helping to alter levels of racism in society AT LARGE.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/sport/story/0,6903,1361352,00.html

'Twenty years ago,' Day says, 'it would have been a foolhardy or brave person who stood up to a racist in a football ground. Now it would be a foolhardy person who made a racist comment. 'I've spoken to my dad about this. In the late 1960s, when there were only one or two black players, notably Clyde Best, it wasn't really a problem because they were perceived as a novelty. Then, all through the 70s and the early 80s - and Britain was a very harsh place in those days - that's when the problem really started.' There seems to be a consensus that, initially by accident and lately by design, football has helped to drown out racism.'

As Spain gets more and more people of African origin it may have to go through the same learning curve we had unless lessons are learnt beforehand. Which is not to say that Britain has no racists... but that football has been part of the moves to marginalise them in society.

9. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Those games would fall under the jurisdiction of Uefa. Try to read what is being said. Try to comprehend what is being said. In essence try to keep up.

If those games need investigation I am sure Uefa will not hesitate to do so.

Fifa is investigating the England V Spain game.

Uefa is investigating the Real Madrid V Bayer Leverkusen game.

As for the Getafe V Barcelona game, it appears that the Spanish FA is incapable of investigating anything. Which is a large part of the problem. To which (Oscar) you’ll reply with some flippant and dismissive nonsense that racism does not exist in Spain, blah-blah-blah an attitude that seems highly compliant with that of a racist.

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Hmmm, everything basically falls under FIFA. Example: when they were proposing to limit the European leagues to 18 clubs. Which doesn't *directly* fall under FIFA, because it's an UEFA matter, but still does.

But yeah, "read what is being said. Try to comprehend what is being said" because the point was that a game doesn't need to be investigated by FIFA for racist chants to have been taken place.

Never loses it's charm to correct people who tell you, that you should read things.

11. miky

miky Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Its Not Good For The Whole Country To Be Banned The Fact Is Let No Black Play In Thier League Join Top Flight Like Englsh And Co Where Its A Little Better And Let No Spanish Play Else Where But In Spain For Two Years.anyways I Thank God My Parents Where Educated Enough To Teach Me This Things.

12. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fifa is to investigate the England V Spain game as it was a "friendly" and therefore falls under their jurisdiction. Had it not been a "friendly" it would have fallen under the jurisdiction of Uefa.

(Oscar) I know it is difficult for your delusional racist mind to understand these matters, but please do try to keep up :D

What Fifa are specifically investigating is that the Spanish crowd had a "Stop Immigration" banner (how did that get into the stadium?), monkey noises were aimed at the English players and chants of "whoever doesn't bounce is a fu cking black" as almost the whole stadium (the racist “minority”) bounded up and down.

13. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    This was the point: a game doesn't need to be investigated by FIFA for racist chants to have been taken place.

It's like you can't argue with that, so you start arguing about something else entirely.

When in Rome....this wasn't a friendly. Or UEFA have their own investigation for that friendly match

But again, that wasn't the point. :D

14. guategol

guategol New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    vancouver
    Spain is really good but if they keep up with this racist comments and acts they should just ban them for gods sakes.its that easy.

15. Power_of_foot

Power_of_foot Red Card

May 28, 2004
    Not bannned forever.
    Banned about 3-4 games from now on, would be appropriate

16. DiegoCervero

DiegoCervero New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Oviedo, Asturias
    Hey people, you can judge a whole country for the acts of some stupid people.

It's obvious there is racism here, but it's the same all around the world.

The problem is just of some small groups of people, like the Real Madrid Ultra group, Ultras Sur - known racists and fascists.

But if you take a look at any Spanish sports forum, you'll see almost all of us refuse these disgusting attitudes of some coward and hateful people, who sometimes aren't even real football fans.

NO RACISM

Greets,
    Hugo

17. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Dwight Yorke and the two black players at Bastia would disagree with you.

18. sweet nick willy

sweet nick willy New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Barcelona
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I agree with you. To say that America is no longer a racist country is incredibly naive.

19. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

Madrid were fined 9,780 euros (£6,767) by Uefa after Bayer Leverkusen's black players were racially abused during the game at the Bernabeu on 23 November.

Real found themselves in trouble after a section of their spectators made racist chants against Leverkusen's black players as well as making Nazi salutes.

20. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Great to see UEFA taking the opportunity to send out a real strong message as to their views on racism :rolleyes:

What the hell difference is a piffling €10k going to make to Real?

And people wonder why we still have problems with racism.......

21. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
  22. BridgeMonkee

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. diabouloussataneus

diabouloussataneus New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    Re: Spanish FA must wait until Wednesday for racism decisio

i doubt a ban i think it would be a ban. More likely would be monetary sanctions.

24. Morpheus

Morpheus New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Midlands

NO, DON`T LIVE WITH IT. DON`T MOVE ON!!

This is the attitude that disgusts me. There is a problem. Don`t ignore it, don`t move on. Face up to it and say `yes, we have a problem with racism we should do something about this`.

You know what p!ssed people off the most around the word!! That Spain ignored what went on as if it never happened. The Spanish FA, the Spanish Manager. Hell, parts of the media ignored it and if they dident they blamed the English press for it!!!

FIFA have wimped out again. They need to be all fired and other people who actualy have a grasp of what is going on around the world instated.

Fvck the Ultras, Fvuck racists, Fvck FIFA, Fvck all you ar$eholes that choose to ignore racism or deny theres a problem!!!!!

25. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    English Unimpressed by Spanish Racism Fine

LONDON (Reuters) - English soccer has reacted with disdain to the fine of 100,000 Swiss francs ($87,340) handed to the Spanish FA for the racist chanting at the November friendly between England and Spain in Madrid.

Several black England players were subjected to monkey noises from the crowd during their 1-0 defeat at the Bernabeu stadium on November 17 and FIFA could have ordered Spain to play its next match behind closed doors.

However, world soccer's ruling body opted to fine and warn the Spanish Football Federation after a disciplinary hearing on Tuesday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-spainenglanddc&prov=reuters&type=lgns