Should Pia Sundhage be fired if the U.S. now does not make World Cup?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by WPS_Movement, Nov 6, 2010.

1. casocrfan

casocrfan Member

Nov 25, 2004
    San Francisco
    I completely agree with what Ireland says in this article but I find it amazing that it's coming out of his mouth - he and his brother were (it sounds like he has changed his beliefs) part of the problem in developing a culture of winning over development. He's made a ton of money doing it this way in Northern California, I'll believe he's changed his colors when I see it, however.

2. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was always wondering why we never see any mexican-american players on the USWNT. I'm not saying they are naturally more technical just based on the fact that they are latinos but sometimes culture does play into it and I would like to see more diversity on the field. It's sad when you see someone like Veronica Perez that could have been on our team, say that she had no chance cause she's smaller player. We need more players like her on our team... The same can be said for the Italian goalkeeper who said she was turned down because she was too small........ and yet here she is having a wonderful game with Italy and it seems like height isn't slowing her down one bit.

3. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep, Cosmetic changes (Sundhage going) post every Olympics will never tackle the real issues.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    U.S.Soccer helped develop there own demise in WCQ. If USA don't want small players, Mexico can clean up all the players USA waste.

It may actually take USA losing a superstar talent to another nation like Mexico before attitudes change.

5. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Gary Ireland hasn't a clue! What a bunch of crap.

Lets do this!!

Lets all develop players for the National team and pros!!! Sound good!

Lets not play to win at all! They can win at the national and pro level only. Lets let those 3% of US players play to win.

Its funny in all other sports it works and the US is the BEST!!! But poor soccer and guys like Ireland who feel left out have to want to change things.

If its so bad here in the states go coach somewhere else! Hell England has had this approach for how many decades and when did the men win there last WC and when did the Women???

So please don't come with this boring Tony And Gary poor soccer crap.

Whats wrong with soccer is all the excuse makers!

6. Longtimesub

Longtimesub Member

May 18, 2009
    About "diversity"...Coach Pia should select her team without worrying about if she is not including enough "minorities"...Worrying about "diversity" is not helpful when trying to pick the best team possible...

I do think that Perez is a good player...

I think that the goalkeeper should be at least 5ft. 9 in. tall...Hope Solo is 5-09...

1 person likes this.
  7. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    1. What a maroon. I like how he blames college soccer for not developing players and then when he's asked about development talks about how you have to continue developing after college - like in a pro league? I'm sure they worry about development over winning in WPS, the EPL, or whatever . . .

2. He's certainly right about youth soccer in the US. But that hardly makes him an expert - everyone knows this stuff and talks about it all the time. No group more than college coaches . . .

3. Perez got capped at the youth level for the US, and was fully integrated into the Nat program as far as getting looks. She decided she might not make the US senior national team on a consistent basis. That's really all you need to know about a player's perception of the US player pool vs. the Mexico pool. Not that she is an automatic starter for El Tri either.

8. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Veronica's name seemed familiar, so I checked the some of the Portland Pilots' past box scores and I was right. She played at Washington, and I saw her play a bunch of times, not just against Portland but also against other teams. Over her four years at UW, she played five games against the Pilots, starting four. In her five games, she scored no goals. Yes, she is a good player, but ....

9. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The US should just be happy that there are few very good players who choose not to play for the MWNT.