Should MLS operate an indoor league during winter

Discussion in 'MLS: Clubs' started by Luis_Rancagua, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. revsoccer

revsoccer Member

Jun 20, 1999
    Lowell,MA USA
    Who needs indoor soccer when you have Team Handball, a fast paced, high scoring, Olympic sport that most Americans don't even know about. I would even dare to say that it is more exciting than basketball, primarily because it's more physical and more fluid, plus I have no idea the difference between a point guard and a shooting guard, but I can tell you the difference between a pivot and a playmaker. To see it in action go to www.ehftv.com

Chesco United and Theopisa repped this.
  3. TerminusFooty

TerminusFooty Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hockey.

4. justboy

justboy Member

Jun 21, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The Scottish league used to run a 6-a-side tournament during the winter in the late 80's, early 90's, called the Tennents Sixes. It was an indoor tournament that generally took a week to play, and it was always played in Glasgow. Growing up, i loved it, but it only lasted for a few years, before it turned into a reserve tournament and then quickly faded out.

I would be all for an indoor event, but i think it would need to be a tournament played over a week to 2 week period, rather than a full on league.

chungachanga, henryo and Elninho repped this.
  5. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Germany and Switzerland likewise had a long tradition of playing indoor tournaments during the winter break, but those turned into reserve tournaments as well before fading out in the late 90s.

I enjoyed watching pro indoor soccer until the quality of players went down (largely due to MLS), and I'd be all for having something like an indoor tournament or a beach soccer tournament as exhibition events. But a full league schedule is simply unrealistic. An indoor tournament might work in preseason before the Arizona and Florida training camps start, when most of the teams in cold-weather cities are training indoors anyway. Might be a way to have preseason start a couple weeks earlier without unduly disadvantaging the more northerly teams. I really don't see it working any other way.

chungachanga and henryo repped this.
  6. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No.. although I'd like it if some indoor teams ran outdoor teams in MLS. San Diego Sockers have been around in one form or another since '78 and I have always liked the name, Baltimore Blast. Milwaukee Wave is another team that I like, although if we are talking teams from Milwaukee, I still have a soft spot for the old Milwaukee Rampage from the A-League days.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would MLS operate a league that doesn't actually play soccer?

9. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    More futsal at the 4-16 age group and yes it will have spectacular results. For players past that I don't think it would help much. As much as I liked to watch it I'd say get rid of arena soccer. The boards discourage control.

10. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Because the acronym would be MLF :)

MLF = Major League Futsal, get your mind out of the gutter!!

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the first NASL- 1970's, 80"s- ran an indoor league and all the teams had to be a part of it- lasted 2-3 years and sucked huge gobs of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MLS is just getting its legs- adding indoor is NO

canammj repped this.
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The league's flagship franchise already plays indoors.

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Only if it is futsal NOT arena with boards. I think it would be great for the B list players and youth to stay sharp over winter and improve their skills. If you don't think futsal works please read "The Talent Code". There is a whole chapter on it and why it works so great to improve players especially the youth.

Keep it regional so travel costs are low. Usually a team will have 11 players so much smaller roster also keeps costs low. A national final with regional champs doing a "4 on the floor" type madness.

14. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Obviously the league should bring back roller derby.

15. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    With "Skinny Minnie Miller"!!!!!!

16. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO !
    The players need an offseason and why would they want to take a chance getting hurt?

17. John_Flushing

John_Flushing New Member

former Metrostars
    Apr 10, 2021
    State of New York
    Should the National Football League operate an indoor league during the spring?

No.

In the case of Major League Soccer, the same principal applies.

Chesco United repped this.
  18. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a bad idea 10 years ago...it's still a bad idea today.

Consistency, if nothing else.

19. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My thoughts remain identical to what they were in 2014. A short tournament is justifiable if it enables preseason training to start earlier without placing cold-weather teams at an undue disadvantage. Nothing larger in scale than that.

Chesco United repped this.