Should MLS expand to Canada?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DoyleG, Dec 6, 2004.

1. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    What planet are you from. The Grey Cup has been contested since the Late 1800,s SUpper bowl since 1965. So maybe the NFL is the bastard child of the CFL.

2. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm suspecting this was clever irony. If not, I'd call your attention to your attempt to use the phrases "A-League" and "efficiently" in the same post.

3. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    Actually the Super Bowl wasn't created because there were two leagues in the U.S., the AFL and the "old" NFL. The Grey Cup didn't exist until 1909 and in the U.S. the Super Bowl started in 1967 when AFL and NFL was about to merge. Thats when the Super Bowl was created. Before that the championship was called AFL championship game for the AFL and NFL championship game of the "old" NFL. Before the AFL and NFL, they had another name for the championship game. But anyways, the NFL is a million times better than the CFL. Right now the CFL is probably made up of washups who can't find a job as a backup in the NFL.

4. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    Yes, but the American Professional Football Association (later morphed into the NFL) wasn't founded until 1920.

The AFL started in 1960.

The All-America Football Conference operated from 1946-49-- When the league folded the Browns, Colts, and 49ers joined the NFL.

And let's not forget the WFL, USFL, and XFL.

For what it is worth the Grey Cup has seniority.

5. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Grey Cup, like the Stanley Cup, began as a amateur title in 1909. The league that is the CFL didn't start until 1956.

6. picaraza

picaraza New Member

Jul 27, 2003
    California
    It still has seniority.

Professionals, amateurs, whatever....

Half of Europe didnøt have professional players until after the war anyway... Germany won the World Cup with a team of amateurs in 1954.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Senority doesn't matter. Fans don't care about the history of a trophy unless it has something to do with the pro league it's used in. People and history see the Grey Cup from the time when the CFL was formed. Same with the Stanley Cup in the NHL. No fan cares about it's early history.

8. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    A million times better i doubt it. NFL A million times more boring to watch for sure.
    The quality of player in the CFL may not be what the NFL caliber is. But for pure entertainment the CFL is so much better to watch.

Its different game played with 12 aside on a bigger field with much more open play. 3 downs not 4 to make 10 yards, Its more of a passing game and is wide open. Teams have 20 seconds to put ball in play, why is it NFL teams need 40 seconds. You have to move the ball to kill clock not like NFL when you can take 2 minutes of the clock without moving the ball 1 foot.

9. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    If the NFL is SO boring, then why do they outdraw the CFL in attendance. If its SO entertaining, then why aren't more people watching it?

10. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    The CFL draws better TV Ratings in Canada than the NFL does. More people in Canada watch the CFL than the NFL. Thats a fact Jack.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Do you have a source for that? If true, the only way I could reconcile that with the fact that the ideal size stadium for a team in a market as large as Toronto is only 20-odd thousand is that both CFL and NFL would have to be relatively unpopular.

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    OK, my intuition is right, and your facts were also off:

This means NFL and CFL ratings are roughly the same (with perhaps a slight nod to the NFL), only about 1 percent of the population.

13. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    To return to the original thread a bit, a Div. I league in Canada is impractical, probably will be for the foreseeable future, and FIFA knows it. Meanwhile, Toronto is a pretty good-sized market (if you ever did want a true Canadian top-flight, the best way to go about it would probably be to put several teams in Toronoto) with a pretty good stadium.

The equation remains the same as for most US cities:

Good Owner + Good economic arrangement for the facility = Good chance for an MLS club.

14. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    What kind of messed up logic is that?

Since when is the masses the barometer of what's good? By your logic, Everybody Loves Raymond is a better show than The Sopranos, simply because more idiots watch Raymond.

15. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    I don't get what you're saying man.

16. msknutson

msknutson Member

United States
    Sep 15, 2000
    San Diego, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC, FIFA Won't Allow It ...

Maybe, but MLS is considered a "domestic league' for the US - no Canadian teams, no Mexican teams. This has been discussed quite a bit, and FIFA has already ruled on several requests like this, again, IIRC, with Belgium and the Netherlands (and maybe Luxembourg) trying to establish a 'Benelux' league. Also was discussed for Scandinavia, and shot down by FIFA.

Wasn't there some talk after WC94 about several US cities getting teams in the first or second divisions in Mexico? FIFA again stopped all discussions ...

Not sure about the reasoning ... maybe the old farts at FIFA don't want all the work.

Potential though for some good natural rivalries! Too bad ...

17. petersoccer

petersoccer Red Card

Dec 2, 2004
    Mississauga,Ontario
    Re: IIRC, FIFA Won't Allow It ...

Don Garber has said Toronto is the #1 prospect for expansion. Do you not think he has his ducks in a row. FIFA will not and cant keep Canada out of the MLS.

18. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

FIFA probably wouldn't. But don't believe everything you hear. At one time Cleveland and San Diego were #1 prospects too. It'll all depend on who stands up as an owner in Canada.

Not to mention, the goal of MLS is not every team in a SSS. It's every team in a MLS-controlled SSS. They may be willing to bend on this, but let's see the relationship between a proposed owner and whoever's going to run the Toronto facility before making predictions.

19. ttman17

ttman17 New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Exactly the problem! People like you give Americans a bad name, it’s a result of ppl like you that Americans are hated – a result of ignorance not jealousy!

Let’s face it; the MLS is still considered a joke by most European standards. These teams are on par with English 3rd division clubs (on their best day)…BUT, it is what we have here in North America and should take pride in it – it has contributed immensely to the success of the US soccer program

Should the MLS expand to Canada – yes…Toronto is the 4th biggest market in North America, the GTA’s population lies somewhere between 6-8 million. Actually the largest Italian population outside of Italy in the world is here, likewise for other ethnic groups! Could it be supported yes, would it be yes! Soccer is supported in the GTA as well if not better than any other American Market!

20. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Canada doesn't have a division 1 soccer league so maybe FIFA might be more willing to go along with toronto joining MLS. Those other countries mexico,belgium, and the netherlands have division 1 soccer. Not sure about scandanavian countries.

21. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Now, I wouldn't say F&CK Canada like my compatriot above but I like many other Americans would say no to this. And many others would say yes. Is it from a selfish base which says that we would like something of our own without having to consider Canada because they can't do it for themselves, probably. But on the other hand I would like to see MLS grow but not for the sake of Canadians or their national team, but because I want the league to prosper. So, I can't see any big problem with letting a Canadian team into our "joke" league.

22. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    ttman17:

To be a Newbie, you sound to me like a "senior".

Go for it... Go Canada...

23. croix

croix New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    St. Croix, VI
    Hell yes!
    More teams means more money for the league, more support from fans, and the best of all with more teams, there will be better competition. And if the US is to compete globally, then we should open the borders.

24. ttman17

ttman17 New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Agreed...we can not afford our own league, well we can but not on the same level as the MLS, It should end up being a great market for u folks and a smart move on the part the MLS. A Toronto squad would likely funded by Maple Leaf Sports and Ent - $$ wise there should be no issues (club folding etc.)...besides we need to do something with our soccer program here...I do remb a time (not to long ago) when a regular routing of the Americans by Canada was common place. The league has done wonders for your national side, and hopefully it will assit us!

25. ttman17

ttman17 New Member

Dec 23, 2004
    A joke league, but u have one or at least a far superior one to our nsl or whatever it is now!