Should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by soccrfn, Sep 24, 2003.

1. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Only Ralph Perez (possibly/probably) can answer that.

My opinion is that he didn't. That he's just too conservative and that he kept waiting for his system/style to "click" with his "preferred" players and it never happened.
    For me a lot of damage has already been done, even if they win the MLS Cup and if a lot people like me (season ticket holders) feel like I do, it's going to hit them where it hurts, in the pockets.

I'm a Galaxy supporter and I'd like to think I'm getting something in return for my financial "commitment", most of what I got this season (80-90%) has been frustrations with the establishment (players and coaches).

2. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    And I would understand completely if you didn't re-up your season tickets next year. I wouldn't pay all that money to watch a near comatose organization and team go through the motions and not be willing to treat each game as its most important game. I'm a 10-gamer myself, but as of right now, I have no intention of buying the 10 pack next season until I see what the Galaxy mindset is. If the team / staff is serious about putting its best foot forward, consistently comes out swinging and attacks its opposition, I'll pony up the money and go watch them, even if we get shellacked by scorelines of 5-3, 4-2, etc... I can deal with losses incurred as long as the team did everything possible to win, but I refuse to spend money to watch them play "not to lose."

3. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    That's mostly what we got this season with Mr. Schmid, "squeezers", one way or the other.

4. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it just me, or are most of those wanting Sigi's departure people still pissed off at OZs departure?

The Fire Sigi stuff started about the time of Sig's arrival. Poor performances (like this whole season has been...but even the start of last season as well) seems to increase the feeling. This year it's really taken off.

I still don't think he should be replaced.

5. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    This team has sucked from day one. Keep Hartman, Ruiz, Cobi, Memo and a few of the other younger guys like Thompson, Lewis, Torres...can the rest...

and as a side note...

KAESO...you shoud be ahsamed of yourself. We could be 0-30, and you shouldnt threaten not coming to the matches. They don't need you if you have that attitude

6. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Not me. As I stated before, I missed most of the 90's versions of the Galaxy. I've really only known the Galaxy with Sigi at the helm. And, at the beginning of this season, I defended Sigi and blamed the players for their poor performances. Beginning of season, Sigi can be excused for not being sure what the heck is troubling the team. End of season and same lineup...different story.

7. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    I'm not exactly sure what you are referring to. Was it about my son being bored to tears?

But anyway, I AM NOT ashamed at all.

Do you think that anyone cares whether I show up for the rest of the year? after I paid for the whole season. Next year when renewing yes.

Do YOU honestly CARE?

What attitude are accussing me of?

If you are talking about wanting more than a mediocre spectacle for my money, I don't know what to tell you.

Ashamed I'm not.

8. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After Saturday's loss against KC, I'm reluctantly joining the Fire Sigi mob.

Kevin Hartman's analysis of the current state of the G's is insightful; it's a virtual given that we'll get scored on at least once, so we have to have it in us to score 2 goals per game to get in the W column. That ain't happening.

What is Sigi doing to try to fix the problem? I see no change of game plan nor innovation. I see no fire in the team's belly to turn things around. The fans are booing the product on the field, and why not? Why pay money to see this crap?

KC hadn't won in 10 weeks and hadn't won in LA since 1997.

Guess who made them look good?

Sadly, both teams on the field sucked on Saturday.

I'm with the previous poster that implied that we go for the goals and play a free-flowing attack-oriented game, just to see if something comes of it. Why not - - the alternative right now is like watching the team slowly bleed to death.

Topper

:D :D

PS: GO GALAXY, DAMMIT!!!

9. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We played an attack oriented game on Saturday and got caught twice (actually, I think I counted 4 times...but got scored on twice) on quick counters by a team playing all 11 behind the ball.

10. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Attack oriented? Is that when people started booing because the players didn't know what to do.

True story, a kid sitting next to his dad asked him (at the KC game),

"why are they booing?"
    "because they want them (the Galaxy) to attack"

The guy is a coach, so I know he's past the fundamentals, but maybe I'm not because I thought it was another conservative boring game. So school me.

11. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not about schooling or knowing more than the other, it's just different views and observations. I don't understand why you need to be so hostle on this whole subject.

I didn't hear any booing until the final whistle...and yes, I booed too. LA couldn't do the job.

However, LA did attack most of the game, they just couldn't get the chances off. It wasn't helped by the fact that KC came in and played a boring bunker D with all 11 behind the ball. LA couldn't figure out how to get through that and weren't able to spread KC out enough to do anything.

If you want to blame anyone for a dull game, take a look at Gansler for his boring bunker ball. Both KC goals came on counter attacks where LA had too many people forward. That's not playing attacking football?

12. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    In the upper deck (where I sit) the boos started a little earlier, FYI. But sure, let's blame it on Bunker Bob and please forgive the hostility on my part, I thought I was expressing a different view and observation.

13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    is it that far-fetched? now i totally don't believe for a second that we're going to get past the first round, however, i remember 1998 when we destroyed every single team in the league, the thought that we weren't going to MLS cup champs never even crossed my mind as we entered the playoffs. realistically i don't think it crossed anyone elses mind either, we were that good. then an uppity start-up team called the fire came in and stopped us.

i also bet that no one bar columbus thought that san jose would be booted in the first round... or that the last playoff spot holding angels would win the world series, or the last playoff spot holding ducks would go to game 7 in the stanley cup finals.

point being, in the unlikely event that we win, if you really thought sigi was that bad a coach then he should be axed no matter what.

on the flip side, if we get booted in the first round, no, i don't think sigi should go. the logic doesn't follow. an mls cup would simply reinforce sigi's winning record, an exit at the first round of the playoffs would be an anomaly.

i am not ready to sack the best coach we've ever had, the only coach to bring us silverware for one bad season.

14. ChiBear

ChiBear New Member

Feb 14, 2002
    CA
    I do not know that I completely agree with this statement.

From my perspective there was very little imagination in the attack, except where Albright attempted to take on a defender.

Most of the game you had Serna standing at the 18 with his hand up, Moreno on one corner of the 18 with Cobi on the other waiting for someone to give them the ball. When the ball did get wide to either Cobi or Moreno, they would always make a move to the end line and throw up a hopeful cross.

There was no diagonal runs, horizontal runs or for the most part runs of any type. Give and Go's, through balls into the box appeared to be foreign concepts.

Set pieces, does the Galaxy even have a plan for set pieces.

In short, I do not blame the outcome on "Bunker Ball" I blame the outcome in the fact that there is ZERO imagination in the Galaxy attack.

The combination play between Moreno and Serna that led to the first goal, seemed to have been an aberation because it was not to return the remaining 85 minutes of the game.

15. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever.

The voting is in, and it's 31 to 23.

I'll call Sigi and let him know that he's fired.

You're welcome,

Topper

:D :D

16. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Well, dashiel, we're definitely of two minds on this point without question. Where you see Sigi, I see Carlos Ruiz. Sigi without Ruiz...no championship; Ruiz without Sigi...we still win. I will never understand how you can gift Sigi the 2002 season success.

17. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    because, no sigi == no ruiz, no ruiz == no cup.

18. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Sigi spotted Ruiz, brings him in, watches him carry the season on his back, and Sigi is a great coach? What about everything after the talent scouting ability?

Look...after this post I'm out...and hope that MLS magically materializes some ringers for us because the one sure thing we know is that Sigi can coach a good team, otherwise he hasn't shown a clue as to how to steer a drifting ship back on course.

19. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Havent chimed in on this one yet

Well I'vd been a little busy but it is quite interesting to read all the takes from the Galaxy Fan Base.

As my recent prognostications have proven I'm well versed in knowing the direction and motivation of the G-boys. And after a week long peyote&tequila induced trance I have seen the Galaxy 2003 future.

The G's will be barely and non-deservantly making the playoffs. becoming first round casualties of the San Jose Earthquakes in 3 games.

Although the lads will try and work hard a few excellent missed oppurtunities will glaringly sum up our pathetic season.

Now for the Future after this season.....

Sigi should be fired, but won't. This team is not necessarily "old"... but in all of our hearts who watch this team... everyone of those dudes is old and tired of each other.

We need to inject some life into this team where it has none.

Cien will go, Lalas should too, Elliott should've had a hit put on him, but will be lovingly snuck out the backdoor after the season, Albright is no-more.. hopefully, Marshall or Suarez.. pick em.

Hey this season we had a shot at the unprecidented Super 4 Championships... and they are.

Concacaf Champions Cup.

the Sun Tounament

U.S Open Cup 2003

MLS Championship 2003

0-4 on in the trophy case.

Most coaches would be run-outta-town after posting this record with a Championship team. But you decide if you think Sigi can do something next year with this team.

Personally I dont

20. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Havent chimed in on this one yet

Uhhh - nope. first round is two games total goals, so we CAN'T carry Quakes to three. And no, I don't like our chances in a "total goal" competition.

21. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    Re: Havent chimed in on this one yet

Well if you count the La Manga Cup (Pre-season in Spain) it would make a perfect record so far.

22. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    ruiz was an intregal part of one championship (2002 MLS cup), sigi has brought us 3 (mls cup, us open cup, fc champions cup) and took us to two mls cup finals without ruiz.

and if ruiz is so great, sigi is so bad, why isn't ruiz carrying the team this year? because ruiz is having a bad year too. should we get rid of him?

the only players/coaches/fo people who are giving it all for this team and performing to standard are hartman and cobi. if you say get rid of all the rest, then fine. but i'm not going to go looking for a scapegoat.

23. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    As I said, I'm done debating the issue on this thread. You seem very interested in using Sigi's "past record" as the bulwark of your defense. Go take a look at Galaxy standings on MLSnet and see for yourself the Galaxy's rank in the standings for every year, with and without Sigi. Guess which coach is going to post the worst single season record in Galaxy history? Also, should the defense decide to fall back on Sigi's past history in future seasons, please don't forget to add this season's tally to the pile.

24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    well how else are you supposed to judge someone other than their past record? fire sigi, who are you going to hire and why? coach X, because they've done X, Y and Z which proves they're a great coach.

the debate is moot anyway, because sigi won't be going anywhere until 8-10 games in next year. i guess we'll know by then who was right. if this was just an off year for sigi, or if he's a bad coach.

25. KAESO

KAESO New Member

Nov 5, 2000
    San Gabriel Valley
    I don't know if he's a bad or good coach, but he's definitely BOOOOOORING.