Should Hawaii become an OFC member ?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Metropolitan, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Well, we all know that football is a great sport which is played worldwide. It has always been important for FIFA to represent the most territories as possible in the world. And FIFA is actually one of the only international organization in which Taiwan and China are both members of. Anyway, I've noticed that Concacaf have made a lot of efforts to integrate the French departments of Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion as its full members. Despite the fact they are fully part of the French Nation, they are still located far away from Europe, something which explains the Concacaf stance.

But this being said, why Hawaii shouldn't be part of the OFC ? After all, it's also far away from the Americas, and I believe they would also be glad to participate to the OFC regional championship. Especially that now that Australia is gone, it could really become among the top teams.

What do you think?

2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The United States wouldn't want that to happen. Hawaiian Brian Ching saved the US from a loss in a WCQ in 2004.
    How far is Hawaii from New Zealand, Samoa, Solomon Islands, etc. relative to how far it is from the nearest point on the west coast of the United States?

3. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Brian Ching could still play for the USA if this ever happened.

4. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Indeed. That's how it works with Guadeloupe actually. Guadeloupean players all have the choice to play either for France or Guadeloupe. The team which has reached the semifinal of the Gold Cup last year was made of player who didn't believe could reach the French national team, or were too old for it anyway (such as Jocelyn Angloma). Actually many of them haven't even been raised in Guadeloupe, but actually in the Paris metro area.

There's no reason why it would be different for a Hawaii team. I see no reason why it would be harmful to the US national team.

5. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Brian Ching will play for the USMNT, regardless of whether Hawaii is a separated OFC member or not. The Hawaiian players who are good enough to be on the USMNT will choose the US team over Hawaii. It only takes a US passport to be eligible for the USMNT and Hawaii does not have their own passport. Players tended to look for the best opportunity when it comes down choosing a NT.

6. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hawaii's a U.S. State,they don't have their own team.

Maybe Alaska could join UEFA,they're pretty close to Russia. :rolleyes:

7. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Guadeloupe is a French department, and Concacaf pressured France to allow it as a full member.

I understand they could not participate in intercontinental championships since that would be weird, but in regional championships, why would that be bad?

Actually, at the beginning I was rather against Guadeloupe, Martinique an Guiana to get their own team because anyone bearing a French passport could pretend being Guadeloupean. However, after I've seen their results at the Gold Cup, I don't believe it's that bad to have these teams playing in regional championships, and this even if their football associations are actually members of the French Football Federation.

Now, they can of course not become FIFA member, because there's a too high risk one of these teams could actually become a second French team. Indeed, as French players having no link whatsoever with Guadeloupe can still become member of its team, Guadeloupe could become some kind of "2nd league" French team. Something risky as it could actually qualify to the World Cup, and that would make 2 Frances in the World Cup.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it keeps Brian Ching off the USMNT then I'm all for it.

9. argaen

argaen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Tucson, Arizona
    Who would qualify to play for them since Hawaii is a state and not a territory or country? I grew up in Hawaii but I was not born there, am I disqualified? Never gonna happen and rightly shouldn't. Now if the people who want Hawaii to secede from the nation finally get it to happen, then definitely give Hawaii a team. ;)

Oh and if Hawaii should get a team, then so should California so I dont have to watch Donovan take penalties for the national team anymore. Just kidding. Sort of. :D

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I know for sure... if Hawaii played international football... everytime the visiting players came to Hawaii, they'd all get laid. ;)

Sorry, it's a Hawaii joke.

11. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Hawaii is an American state, not a territory (like the Marshall Islands) or a commonwealth affiliated with the United States (like Puerto Rico). It is as much a state as New York or New Jersey or any of the original 13 states. Your comparison doesn't work, and it would not make any sense for Hawaii to join the OFC.

12. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Guadeloupe is as much a French department as is Jura or Paris. And despite this, it's a member of the Concacaf. Legally speaking, the situation of Hawaii and of Guadeloupe are exactly the same: they are full part of a country of which the mainland is located at several thousand miles from them.

Anyway, the fact they are fully part of another country make them unelligible for a FIFA affiliation. But actually, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't get a regional affiliation.

13. bigdoug

bigdoug New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    Yes, I don't think the U.S. Soccer Federation wants this to happen. So, why spend time worrying about it?

14. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pay attention.
    Pay attention.

15. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a really dumb thread. Hawaii is a U.S. state, so no it's not going to have a national team. Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, and the U.S. Virgin Islands all have national teams because they are U.S. territories, not states.

End of discussion.

16. hail columbia

hail columbia New Member

Dec 2, 2006
    New Jersey,U.S.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, Guadeloupe most likely have their own unofficial National team because despite being part of France they're very far away from it,and most of the players there won't have as good a shot as someone living in France.

Hawaii on the other hand,is close enough to the U.S. for this kind of thing not to happen. This is what I think anyway.

17. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. To be relevant, this thread should have been started before August, 1959. :D Sorry, mate, but you're late.

18. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Actually, no. As counterintuitive as it is, Guadaloupe and Hawaii have a very similar status. As Guadalupe is an overseas dept. having full rights within the French consititution similar to the US. THerefore, they could not be recognized by FIFA, however they could be associate members like Guadaloupe. Therefore, they could compete in the OFC championship but not in WCQs. Still don't think it'll happen.

19. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i got an idea why dont england scotland whales and n ireland merge to form the United kingdom
    ?????????:D:eek:

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hawaii is a state, guam which is in oFC is a official US teritory but the govt is self serving and circulate US dollars and US military is the representing defense.

21. georgemladenov

Apr 17, 2006
    Guam is actually part of the Asian Football Confederation

22. Martininho

Martininho Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, my friend. With all due respect, it's not counter-intuitive. It's dead wrong.

The confusion is understandable. The term "state" in reference to affiliation as one of the United States has a significantly different political meaning than the term "State" in reference to a sovereign nation (e.g., France) or an independent political authority not fully aligned with a nation (the territory of Puerto Rico, for example). a "state" in the united states surrenders its sovereignty except within its borders to become part of a federal (centralized government) republic (voting representative government, a la elected senators and congressional representatives). In return, its representatives and citizens receive voting and other privileges.

While Guam, American Samoa, etc., have representatives in the U.S. Congress, these representatives do not have voting privileges. Neither can their citizens vote in U.S. national elections. On the other hand, neither are citizens of these territories subject to U.S. income taxes (I'm pretty sure, please verify).

As such, these territories are free to join regional athletic confederations outside U.S. authority, and I believe most if not all have (I haven't verified the Pacific territories' affiliations, but I did check Puerto Rico and they are independently aligned with CONCACAF.

Not Hawaii. Once full statehood is granted, trying to join a regional confederation would constitute an act of sovereignty by that state beyond its border, a big "no-no" for an individual member of the Unites States. We already addressed such a previous misunderstanding between 1861-1865. It got messy.

23. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

hey if i was acivics teacher(soon to be soon to be) i would give you a A+,,,,,

also Guam doesnt have representation in the UN also pR and other territories so that also shows recoginition of sovergnty of independent territory.... not to be off subject, sorry i thought Guam was Ofc, ok they are aFC cool. also Guam usvi and pR samoas have delegates in the IOC and representatives in regional alliances .:D

24. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This question is like asking if Bavaria wanted to join UEFA and field its own national team. Simply not possible.

25. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Why not have each individual Island have it's own team? I bet Maui could kick Oahu's ass.

:D