Should Germany have 6 stars on shirt (3 for Europe)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by kontrol-ball-Germany, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    Those stars on the national football Jersey such as for Brasil, Italy and Germany do they denote success. If so then its misleading because Germany have won 3 major European championships and it is not represented. Viewers around the world see those Jerseys and may not be getting the whole picture.

Basically the Euro success goes unoticed in this sense and Germany gets hit worst because they won the most of those Euro Titles. Also i give significant weight to the Euro because its the worlds second biggest football tournament.

The system of just showing world cup stars indirectly favours nations (in terms of representing success) who have won world cups but not those who have won Euro championships its also misleading in the sense that Italy have not been as successful as Germany in the Euro's but the 4 stars they wear as opposed to Germany's 3 shows Italy as more succesful. In one way its showing that one team has more than the other yet if one team had won 4 Euros for example and the other had won one world cup the shirt would be saying that the team with one world cup is more succesful, as theres no mention of the Euros.

Would you like to see the 3 gold stars and perhaps 3 silver stars to represent the Euro on the same shirt for Germany.

France, Holland and Spain might also like the idea of respresenting the success they have had in the second biggest football tournamnet in the world on their jerseys.

Are we proud of Germany's 3 Euro cups then lets show it.

Your thoughts.

2. episkeptis

episkeptis New Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Manchester
    I disagree with this. 1st, the world cup is the most important football competition in the world -though the European championship might be more difficult to win- and is the only competition where all -or at least most of- the top football nations of the world can play against each other, so success to this competition is more important than any other. 2nd, what about the countries outside Europe? Should for example Argentina put a star for every Copa America they have won? I doubt if there is enough space in their jersey for that.

3. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    You mentioned the copa and other tournaments well the Euro is an exception because its the second biggest football tournament in the world and what about a team thats wins 5 Euro cups for example and a team that wins one world cup. Yet the shirt is saying the team with one world cup more succesful in not so many words.

Another point is that the smaller competitions you mentioned can never be worth more than a world cup but 2 or 3 European cups can equate to the same worth of a world cup or in the case of having 3 or 4 european cups that would certainly be worth more than one world cup. Yet that cannot be represesnted? Why?

Like you said it can be the more difficult to win a Euro than to win a world cup and the Euro is the only competition (national football wise) you can say that for.

So technically you can have a bigger achievement than one world cup getting multiple Euros and a team can go through a tougher challenge than the world cup (on occasions) to win a Euro but it cannot be put on the shirt but the world cup star is okay to put on the shirt.

There is no other competition that comes close to the World cup apart from the Euro (national wise) and im saying why not have both of them represented on the shirt when they are won, im not saying leave out the world cup.

Maybe they could be displayed on the side arm part of the shirt like similair to where the Euro logo is or even right above that logo there could be 3 symbols to signify the 3 trophies.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    To a Brazilian, Argentinian or even Ecuadorian, the Copa America is much more important to them than the Europcup. To an African or Asian, the same will apply to their own local competition. It would be European arrogance to say the Euro is more important than the other regional competitions.

Perhaps the countries could wear the stars on their jerseys equating to the titles they have won for a Eurocup during a Eurocup.

Trying to equate what competition is more important or less important is ridiculous.

5. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ...yes, and during the Euro qualification. Why not.

The Copa America countries could use their own scheme. Maybe a star with halo for 10 cups or something. :)

Since the Copa America is played about every two years with much less countries and no qualification tournament it is hard to compare to the Euro anyway.

6. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    This just smacks of European arrogance :rolleyes:

7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think the euros are as hard to win as a world cup, but there's no need.

Unless the stars are marked in a different colour to the gold stars, so that people know it's euros and not world cups.

Then maybe other confederations will follow.

8. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is what he suggested in the initial posting.

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    it"s still stupid. How often did Australia win the Oceanic soccer competition?

It's sort of a good German virtue not too brag around with accomplishments that are often overlooked (ie Euro record compared to other nations) too much, we should try too keep that.

10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    4 times, out of 7.

And putting additional stars on the jersey would reek of insecurity, imho.

11. Dead Fingers

Dead Fingers Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 22, 2004
    St. Paul, Minnesota
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    I know.. talk about "measuring one's self in the mirror." :D

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah I don't think we need that really.

It's fine the way it is.

We're the shit and we and everyone else knows it anyway.

The only thing that annoys me sometimes is the stereotype of german style of football, but that apart...

13. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ... and they will not win it again because they moved to the AFC in 2005.

14. ZimbabweBob

ZimbabweBob Member+

May 16, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no, nobody else does this..it's standard to have the stars for world cup wins

there is one easy way to get more stars on the jersey...win another world cup (2010?) :)

15. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ok, that sounds like a brilliant idea. :D

16. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    No a large majority can just look at Brazil's 5 stars or Italy's 4 and think Germany is further down the ladder, does not reflect the full picture. Why reflect a partial picture. Again if its trying to reflect success then its not accurate.

So its fine to put the world cup stars even if a team can win multiple Euros that do equate to more than the worth of a world cup.

Germany has won the most Euros yet Euros are overlooked? How convenient.

Your opinion.

In Superbowl they call themselfs world champions or use the "world" championship game when infact its just American teams competing not the world, yet you say my post smacks of arrogance.

So why field second string sides in the copa if its so important. Does that happen with the Euro?

Its not arrogance that the Euro is the second biggest football competition in the world if the Copa or another regional cup was on the same level then what would be wrong with putting the stars on the jerseys. No other competitions comes close to the world/Euro Cup in terms of viewers/prestige football wise.

Someone said if a team has won 10 copa's (which have been won) then putting some sort star would be good, infact I agree.

Your saying they should wear the Eurocups during the Eurocup, sounds good to me, not sure other would agree that could also be a big no no.

17. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    What does that have to do with anything? Your post still smacks of ignorance.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  19. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the reason i don't care if we have the extra stars for the euros or not is because the majority of people around seem to know that germany have the best euro record by some distance (3 wins, 2 finals), as well as the fact that germany have been ridiculously consistent in world cups, with the most quarters, semis and equal most finals with brazil.

That germany have been considerably more consistent in world cups than italy, the majority of people are aware of.

To say that we're better at world cups than brazil is wrong because their record of quarters and semis are very nearly as good as ours (1 less in each), and they do have 2 more trophies in the same number of finals. But the difference between italy and germany, most people are aware of.

So the way it is is fine with me.

What I'd want to actually get across to people is the fact that for 75% of the last 45-50 years, germany have played swashbuckling, sometimes cavalier and always stylish, creative football, and that germany have scored 192 goals and conceded 120 in 92 world cup games. Hardly fits the stereotype does it. 1-0 win, yeah right.

Brazil have scored 201 and conceded 85 in 92 games. Now that fits the defensive stereotype better.

Those goals scored totals are miles ahead of the remainder of the teams.

I just love how when interviewed by fifa on receiving his mvp award, toni kroos was asked how this german team played what you would not describe as typically german football. He just dismissed it as "yeah I've heard that stereotype".

As far as I can see, the way they played, and the 20 goals scored and 11 conceded in 7 games fits the normal resume for a german team over the last 4-5 decades in a tournament.

20. SchalkeSupporter

SchalkeSupporter New Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Germany
    In my opinion its much more difficult to win a Euro than a World Cup. You don't play teams like Costa Rica or Ecuador (2006) in the group stage. You directly get hard opponents like Holland or the Czechs (2004). But of course the World Cup counts more, so for me it's ok to wear only stars for WC's on the shirt...

21. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Apparently some countries already wear non-WC stars. Egypt wears 4 stars for their Africa Cup titles. Uruguay wears 4 too for two world cups plus two olympic titles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(football_crest)

And last but not least: Denmarks jersey in the Euro 2004:

[​IMG]

22. Aran

Aran New Member

May 25, 2007
    I'm sure we will wear 6 stars in 2018.

23. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    At least the World Cup is a tournament everyone can win, so it makes at least some sense (not that I consider those stars to be really meaningful in any way). But desperately putting more stars onto the jersey because Italy now has one more is close to the kindergarten school of trying to impress people.

Alternate suggestions:
    - putting a star on the jersey for every game Lothar Matthäus played in.
    - printing "respect me... please?" on the front of the jersey.

24. kontrol-ball-Germany

Jul 22, 2006
    Western Europe
    Well DENMARK seems to think very highly of the Euro, like i have been saying about it being the..........

How ironic its seems there is a message in disguise, that star they are wearing came from defeating Germany in the final and its funny how a lot are saying its not worth putting the Euro wins on our Jerseys.

Its not like we gonna be silly enough to lose another final, will that make it 5 final loses at world cup. So we deserve to something for our consistancy.

Well thats your opinion. Appreciate if you leave out the insults. You say its kindergarten and i can say your quick to dismiss putting the Euro stars on the jerseys even though its the only tournament that compares to the world cup.

25. The Old Lady Hertha

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Well, we all know what guys have if they drive a really nice car....