Should Fraser be benched?

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by FlashMan, May 21, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, really, he's looked pretty bad these last couple of games. It always seems like his man is doing the scoring for the other team.

I know he's the experienced vet which you like to have on your back line, but is he costing the Rapids more than he's producing?

Just curious what other people think.

2. burmm

burmm Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bench Fraser?

Don't people keep wanting the same lineup every week? What would benching Fraser do but ensure a new lineup along with disorganization, confusion, and a lack of experience on the pitch. I don't see a viable replacement nor do I think Fraser needs to be benched to realize his mistakes.

3. Pisco

Pisco New Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Denver, CO
    Re: bench Fraser?

OK, so he has realized his (numerous) mistakes. When the hell is he going to start fixing them?

I don't know if we should bench him just yet but he is really starting to look like Agoos at the World Cup. How long before the other teams figure this out and burn us like Poland did the US?

If we do bench him, who is capable of taking his place?

4. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    yes i think he should be benched. Maybe that is the only way to make him concentrate harder. since he is making so many mistakes, let anyone try in that spot. He has let goals in so how much worse would anyone else be?? Kothchau, trembly, sleeth, hart, and crawford play defense!! he changes places that don't need changing and doesn't change each week the obvious places!

5. rocky1030

rocky1030 New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    denver
    Hey what about getting Titus back!

He did well and he was always agressive and determined. He couldn't be any worse than what the team has now.

6. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Re: Hey what about getting Titus back!

Titus is definitely not the answer. He had his odd good game last year, but was frustratingly inconsistent and prone to bone-headed plays. He is not someone we need to bring back...

Now if we want to bring someone back..(and yes, I know he was also inconsistent, but a much better defender)...I say lets get Chris Martinez back in the league.

Or, lets see if Lance Key is over his concussions and try to bring him back.

Not that either of these things are going to happen.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Hey what about getting Titus back!

Given those choices wouldn't it be just as well to start playinf Sleeth?

8. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    If Hankinson truly wants to build this team and restore unity, then Fraser should not be benched.

However, if he's going to hold to form and blame individuals for team failure, then the guy shouldn't even dress, let alone travel to Chicago this weekend.

Yeah, Fraser's had two awful games these recent weeks. But you know, who's to say these opportunities even happen if his teammates do their job and start finishing?

If you screw up as a defender, you allow a goal and can get blamed for the game. Forwards? Midfielders? Not nearly the same responsibility.

Based on missed opportunities alone -- arguably just as hurtful to the team as defensive blunders -- then Carrieri and Chung should sit along with Fraser.

That is, if you buy the logic of sitting Fraser.

I'm hoping Hank starts the same team this weekend (sans Zizi) against Chicago.

9. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Based on missed opportunities alone -- arguably just as hurtful to the team as defensive blunders -- then Carrieri and Chung should sit along with Fraser.

I think anyone who isn't producing should be benched or pull out earlier than 60-70 mins. I think everyone has been benched except henderson and chung. He should try some of the players who sit the bench. They are on this team so they are capable of playing.. We can't be any worse off than we are now!

10. GreatZar

GreatZar Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 29, 1999
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benching Fraser and having Pablo injured is suicide. We need to get Fraser to play to his skill level, not bench him.

11. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Crawford plays defense? In Hanki's mind maybe, but I certainly haven't seen it out where it counts.

12. pigtail

pigtail New Member

Apr 7, 2000
    You are all crazy.

13. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh huh.

14. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First... when i said Fraser needed to be benched 3 weeks ago you all thought i was nuts... the guy needs to sit...

Second... the team will play better without Chung in the lineup (i've also been saying this for about 3 weeks)... he is a prissy little primadonna who refuses to do the work required of him...

Third... ZiZi getting hurt may actually be a blessing in disguise for you guys... he holds the ball a bit too long for his role on the team... Schmitt should get his chance to start as the target player... he plays simple and works his butt off... and he somehow gets on the end of balls that are served in the box (no matter how poorly they are served)...

My starting 11 for you guys would be (4-4-2):

****************Garlick***************
    **Stu**Herdsman*Pablo*Kotchau*
    ****************Hart******************
    *Hendo******************Rizo********
    *********Beckerman*****************
    *****************Spenny*************
    *********Schmitt*********************

If Spenny can't go then play Carrieri in his place as the 2nd forward behind Schmitt as the target... Pablo was superb in this role with Miami and he can get forward very well from his sweeper position... Rizo on the left (tucked in a little bit) allows Kotchau to get forward... and Beckerman has to be given the freedom (and the ball) to run the team...

That's my $.02

15. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is that Fraser has no one who is his equal positioning wise in the center of the defense... IF Fraser didn't have to worry about cleaning up everyone elses mistakes he probably wouldn't be making his own... I'm going with Johnny Spencer on this one, people need to focus on their position, get that right, and then think about doing the extra work, right now Hanki's got them trying to make up for each others shortcomings and in the meantime allowing themselves to be exposed...

Benching Fraser is one of the poorest suggestions I've read... totally knee-jerk... I say we bench RapidMan...

16. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    IMHO, keeping the same lineup as last week, except for of course Zizi and Pablo, would be the smartest thing Mr. Hanki could do. The team needs to be confortable with the guy next to him and players need to be able to somewhat predict what his teamate will do next or where he should play the ball. IMO, it's things like that that are killing our team and those things only come with consistant lineups. Benching Fraser would be just one more stuipid move to chalk up for Hanki.

P.S. as for Chung being a Primadona, I just don't see it. So the guy blew up at a teamate. It's not the first time. I've seen Spencer do it as well as many many others. It's called frustration.

17. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    I agree. The whole team is underachieving and people keep trying to pick out a single player to scapegoat the losses on. It's senseless.

As I've said before, it's shuffling deck chairs on the Titantic. When 11 players are playing like crap you don't dump the players you fire the coach. Fire Hankinson now and start the rebuilding process.

These posts make me wonder how long some people have been following MLS. Haven't you seen a coach lose control of his team before? When has benching 1 or 2 players and keeping the coach ever turned the team around? Answer: never.

18. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Second... the team will play better without Chung in the lineup (i've also been saying this for about 3 weeks)... he is a prissy little primadonna who refuses to do the work required of him...

i agree.. I think if chung would stay outside we would have more on an offense. IMO he runs around with no game plan and gets too close too players as if to say give it to me all the time!!!