Should Donovan be suspended?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Shabs, Oct 5, 2003.

1. joe guy

joe guy New Member

Apr 26, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Re: Re: Re: Should Donovan be suspended?

As a non-partisan watching the game on TV in Portland, OR I have to say that Donovan deserved to be red carded on both fouls. He's got to grow up and act like a man, not some pampered third grader. The League will probably do nothing of course, but that doesn't justify Donovan's stupid fouling.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I wasn't referring to double standard from MLS HQ; I was talking about the double standard rantings from these boards when talking about LD. I will reiterate again, if you read all my posts you'll see that I agree, he should have been carded out of that game. And it won't surprise me one bit if MLS (or Yallop) make him sit on Friday night.

3. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Let me start by saying that the Metrostars deserved the 3 points they got yesterday. They came out wanting it more (because they needed it more) and we came out a little flat. I was very impressed by Ricardo Clark yesterday. I thought he outplayed Mulrooney, though that could've been because Mulrooney didn't have much help from Ekelund, who had a bad game, and because Metros had 5 to our 4 in the midfield.

Let me add that the Metros played a very frustrating game, as well. It got them the points, but it was by and large pretty cynical. Nobody has pointed out that the elbow came very late in the game when the Quakes were obviously frustrated both by the bad officiating and the Metrostars pack it in tactics.

What was especially disappointing about the two incidents (in addition to that they occurred) was the theatrics shown by both Walker and Gueverra after the fouls were committed. Gueverra rolled about 8 times after the tackle from behind (which was one foot, not two) and Walker lay prone and lifeless on the field as if he'd been shot. Neither showed any ill effects after play resumed.

Donovan should not have done either foul. But the Metrostars players did not act with much dignity, either.

4. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a meek attempt to change the focus of the discussion! Pitiful, pitiful, pitiful.

5. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    Thanks.

And I'll accept your silence on the issue as an admission that the Metrostars flopped and played cynically.

6. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Helmet. And that's why still kickin is a much better objective Quakes supporter than you are. There will always be theatrics involved with every tackle. But accusing a keeper of them when he doesn't have too. Well sir. That's really hitting below the belt.

If that was a love tap Donovan gave then I hope the next time Jonny Walker actually gets hammered he will just have to lay down on his back and not even move. How would you react getting a hard elbow to the stomach and not even expect it.

Landon Lunged his elbow with enough force to knock the wind out of Walker. Thank goodness it was just the wind knocked him down. There could have been cracked ribs.

It could have been alot worse than what it was. So do us a favor let's see what happenes with Pat Onstad and try to take an elbow and nail him in his stomach. See how it hurts him.

You just don't understand. Your attempt to change the focus of the subject is truly pitaful. I keep watching the game from ESPN 2 on tape. And I still can't believe that Landon did this. Even Eric Wynalda said. "There's just so much you can do to defend him." "But he should have been sent to the showers 15 minutes ago."

Once again I'm not labling him a dirty player. But give him the one match suspension to teach him a lesson and let him learn from this.

7. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By the way, when does the Head Office announce if they're going to take action? Is it usually early in the week, middle or late?

8. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose
    I never said Donovan didn't deserve to be sent off. I said that Walker and Guevera were not hurt and they both acted like they were. Some consider this cheating. Others consider it "theatrics." Count me in the former.

Donovan should not have given them the opportunity to play act as they did. That was his mistake. And I hope he learns from that because it's just going to get worse in the play-offs.

9. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Scanning the headlines at MLSNET.com, it appears that the Disciplinary Committee meets and announces rulings anywhere from Tuesday to Friday of the week.

I'm glad I am able to narrow that down for you all.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the excellent service.

Since the Quakes play on Friday, hope they "rule" before then.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Doo itashimashite.

De nada.

Since the Quakes play on Friday, hope they "rule" before then.
    [/QUOTE]

If there is going to be a suspension, history shows that they will announce it before the Friday game.

Cheers.

12. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Still bitter about life passing you up? Retard.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah all he did was whack Bobby Convey in the back of the head with an elbow last week. Hence his non-appearance in this week's game.

14. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    Baby Jesus lashes out

holy *#*#*#*#! i couldn't believe my eyes. Did Donovan really say all that stuff? If soccer mattered in the country, we'd have front page news for days.

15. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Changing the subject to another favorite whipping boy, Ty Keough continued to defend him after Eric said that. Which amused me to no end.

On the challenge against Walker, I couldn't get a clear view from the replay as to whether or not Donovan actually swung the elbow at the keeper or not. He certainly had the elbow up, and clearly up in such a way that there could have been no other reason than to make contact with Walker. Most of the contact looked like it came from his forward momentum.

That said, it would clearly warrant at least a yellow, regardless of whether or not he was already carrying one. I know sometimes that can be a factor, but not if you go after a keeper.

Seems like the "Razov won't make the USMNT squad because he has a bad temper" argument isn't going to hold much water for much longer.

Later,
    COZ

16. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flat out - Donovan deserved the red card.

That said, Guevara is a punk, but the hit on Walker made no sense to me. Except that Donovan wanted to hit the showers early.

As for Waldo, his best line was at the end of the game - he said something to effect that he called for Donovan to be red-carded 20 minutes ago, but had changed his mind and thought Donovan should have stayed in the game after all.

Reminded me of the time when I tried to get myself suspended from High School, but ended up spending the week in the Principal's office.

17. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Clint Mathis commits violent conduct, he is red carded.

Last year against DC United he stomped a player. Red Card.
    The Open Cup Game where Franchino and he got all hot and bothered.

Both got the Red card.

So Donovan purposely lunges into a defenceless keeper with his elbow and.....

free kick metros.

thankyou for proving the point.

18. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's called putting things into context. I have no problem admitting that Landon made mistakes and should be punished for them - I just wish the sanctimonious handwringers on BS could see things both ways. Cynical fouling for 90 minutes should have no place in the game, and that's exactly the strategy that the Mutts employed, which I like to call "Ray Hudson soccer". You could also call it Rusty Pierce soccer. I don't care what you call it, intentional ankle-biting should be called, as should persistent infringement. When they're not, things like yesterday happen. Not that I'm excusing Donovan't behavior, simply bringing to light the context of the events in question.

19. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    Get over it. Neither actions required a red card.

20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, from the Land of Enlightenment...

21. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    No, he doesn't have the required hair line.

22. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I think most of us are saying yes, he deserved to be sent off. We can't help that the refs are inept. What is really ridiculous, though, is all the histrionics (sp?) by some people, someone actually calling for a 3-game suspension. People acting like he does this all the time. From your post, seems Clint is more inclined to behave this way.

Donovan obviously lost his head..and people are so shocked, like he's never supposed to do this. He's an intense soccer player, for crying out loud; got frustrated and blew it. But I think people are so exaggerating this, it's unreal. Describing it as "lunging into this defenseless keeper." Review the tape; he barely got him, and you know it. Think Walker's got a bruise now?

Does that excuse what Donovan did? Absolutely not. Deserved a 2nd yellow, no doubt. May yet get a suspension, who knows. But I think people need to get off their high-horse and treat this situation with the perspective it deserves. Oh, but that's right. We're talking about Landon Donovan. Whatever he does, is
    magnified ten-fold, whether it deserves to be or not.

Now, I hope I don't have to look at this thread again. :D

23. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see. Bitchy = Homosexual. I guess a lot of us husbands married homosexuals.

Actually, I was thinking of John Harkes. With his recent "dye job" hair and acting chops, he would be great to play Donovan. Plus, he always thought that he was the greatest US soccer player...

24. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, I'm back again. Couldn't stay away. :)

This is really becoming quite comical. Thanks, everyone, for making my day! Whoda thunk little Landon could cause such hysteria...keeping his shirt on, no less!

25. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Wow, this is riduclous.

What Landon said is insane. He's a moron, who obviously thinks he is a god. Someone should have taken him out.

Anyway, if Dema does something like that he becomes a villain. Clint? If he does something, just Clint being a bad boy again.

If Landon does it? Well...ummmm....Amado deserved it.....Walker shouldnt' have rolled aroudn so much.

Jesus christ people, this kid is a punk. He will get raped in Germany, with all those lumbering Germans trying to break his knees. We'll see. All I know is that if he isn't fined and suspended, the league is a joke.

Also, if he was such a marketable icon, then he would obviously bring in more fans to games. He isn't, so screw him.