Should Donovan be suspended?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Shabs, Oct 5, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Again, two guys and you say "KC fans". Maybe a couple people heard about the rule, and didn't know that FIFA had relaxed the rule a bit since. Either way, "KC fans" aren't bothered by the lack of a yellow card. A couple of fans who happen to support KC are bothered. Big difference.

As for the Donovan stuff. I'm just sick of his arrogance. Theres not a thing wrong with being one of the best, knowing you're the best, and even letting people know that you know you're the best once in a while. But Donovan acts like a brat. His team is down in a game so he "decides" Guevara (and I dont care what any Metros fans say, he's a diver, plain and simple) is dancing with the ball too much and deserves a hack. Joe Franchino does that and he's sent off in a heartbeat. Golden Shower Boy does it and he gets a yellow. Then has the nerve to throw and elbow at the keeper. The discussions were had earlier in the year with Ruiz, it doesnt matter if the elbow makes contact or not. Throwing the elbow is intent, and is a red in and of itself. Donovan should have been sent off and should be suspended.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, you're right about my KC fan comment. It really was just that one writer and then the other guy. I just thought it was kind of lame to bring that up.

Gotta disagree, though, about you saying Donovan acts like a brat. Other players do similar things, or do their own thing, and they're not hit with that label. I still say he's held to a different standard and faces more criticism for his actions than what is warranted. What he did yesterday does NOT characterize how he normally plays. But it seems that the FEW times he does stuff, people really get all up in arms in a way that, to me, is unjustified. As I've said, sure, he should have had 2 yellows, if not a straight red on the Guevara tackle. But other things should have been called also and weren't.

If he's suspended, so be it. If that happens, I hope he learns his lesson and comes back a better, more mature player. But you gotta admit, he does know how to get these boards talking, doesn't he? :)

3. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Well, yeah, somebody really needs to sit the boy down.

A few weeks ago, when he took a knock going up for a ball against Rusty Pierce, LD publicly expressed his juvenile belief that defenders just treat him roughly because they're not "man" enough to treat him with the requisite fairness (ostensibly, that a superstar like himself deserves).

After the same game, boneheads de-jour Waibel and Mullan (who later took out Pierce in a clear red-card foul) noted how they were just sending messages to the Revolution and protecting their own. Real testoterone replete ra-ra stuff.

And here we are a few weeks later, and you've got Landy playing the part of the thug (although rather badly), while Waibel acts something just short of psychotic for the whole second half. Meanwhile the Chosen One and his teammates play exactly the type of game the Metros want, loose ignominiously at home, and are lucky not to face a slew of suspensions (including and especially, Landy).

The really stupid thing is that the Quakes simply will not win with this type of mentality. The Blessed One needs to get his head straight - and quick. You would think Yallop would be the one to get this through to him.

Can you just imagine this guy in Germany with his current mind set?

4. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I'd have a lot more respect for your opinion if you'd stop with the "Chosen One" and "Blessed One" references. You accuse Donovan of being juvenile. Look in the mirror. Why can't there be any sensible discussions about this player without the name-calling and silly lables?

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I love how you add this little bit at the end of your post. As if you cared about Donovan or the Quakes at all.

6. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Soccer is a contact sport, ladies. If you don't like it perhaps you should follow synchronized swimming, that's probably more your speed.

7. Rodan

Rodan New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Providence
    Zounds! I've been caught! You are a sharp-eyed seer of men's souls my friend.

I guess it's just an "if the halo fits" kind of thing...

I actually like the Quakes. I think LD is a very good player. But he's been acting like a dope the last couple of weeks, and his strident bleetings in the press have just been unbearable.

Besides that, I'm thoroughly pissed that the Quakes gave this game away to the Metros.

First thing Landon should do: Shut up.
    Second thing: Deal.

Maybe Yallop can get through to him.

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell me something:

During the 2001 playoffs, did you get as vaginal about the Fusion's treatment of Baby Jesus as your fellow Quakes fans did?

9. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, that SlimPickins thing, cute! :)
    And I agree, hopefully Yallop can get through to him...if he needs gotten through to. Unfortunately, Frank was a little occupied during the game. His wife went into labor at halftime. Thinking back on Wynalda's comments about how he couldn't figure out why the Quakes hadn't changed their strategy...basically he was saying, "What's Yallop thinking?" Now it all makes sense.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first foul v. Guevera a red card? That's the most laughable thing I've heard in a while.

People forget it was Guevera who fell over in that June contest drawing a red from Corrales, who was on the bench at the time. I didn't see it but it was supposedly the biggest dive this side of Louganis. The Quakes haven't forgotten that. Their loathing of the Honduran goes much further back than just this game.

And while Baby Jesus did put up his elbow on Walker, Walker did do the Chilean tango and totally overdramatize it in good Latin style. Donovan deserved a 2nd yellow just for putting up his elbow in stupid fashion but I don't think he touched Walker, and Walker did his best Argentine diver interpretation. Donovan was just telling the truth after the game.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Has anyone ever received a yellow card for taking his shirt off? I recall watching the US Open Cup game vs LA where DMB took off his shirt several times without getting a card. When Conrad took off his shirt after scoring his goal on Saturday, did he get a yellow? I did not see the game just the highlights on MLS Wrap so I don't know if he did or not.

Just wondering...

12. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, it was one of the worst reffed games I've seen in some time. It's fortunate nobody got killed in that game.

13. NateP

NateP Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Plainfield, NH, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Should Donovan be suspended?

This is exactly what I thought when I saw the elbow. This wasn't a corner where the keeper was one of many players trying for the ball. Walker was all alone, went up to collect the ball uncontested and LD hit him as he went by for the sake of hitting him. As for the first yellow, I wouldn't have been surprised to see a red but as someone pointed out earlier the ref was pretty lax and a yellow was consistent with his other calls.

Unfortunately, as El Jefe noted, earlier MLS has a pretty bad history when it comes to punishing this sort of behavior and given the small punishments for Dema & Stoitchkov I don't expect MLS will do much of anything this time around.

14. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it always seems to be Gus St. Silva matches.
    He just flat out sucks. Does anybody think this guy is a competent ref (even by MLS standards?)

Actually, Guevara has really toned down the histronics after that Corrales mess. But unfortunately that reputation he gained during the first few months is going to stick to him for a very long time. It's a shame really.

15. Metros#1

Metros#1 New Member

May 14, 2001
    NJ
    So, getting the first yellow card = license to throw elbow freely with intent to injury as long as in a puny way as LD did it. Do you know how ridiculous it sounds?

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Some earlier said that if 95% of the other players would have said this they wouldn't get away with it. Who know if they would or wouldn't, because the truth is they probably wouldn't say it, even though 95% of the other players out there are probably thinking it. The thing is, if any of those 95% out there said it, these boards would be lit up with, "Wow, how refreshing. Way to tell it like it is. Finally, someone not afraid to speak." But since it's Donovan, instead you hear, "What a spoiled brat. He's arrogant. He should be suspended. HOw disgraceful." That's the double standard I'm talking about.

17. penubly

penubly Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    irrelevant BS

All this talk about taking off the shirt, what would have happened if someone else did or said this or said that is irrelevant.

Landon is supposed to be THE player in MLS. Whether he wants it or not, he is THE man, and it is a hard role to play/live. Sure he is a target most of the time, but in MLS any skilled player is a target when the whistle blows. The only way to get around that is to perform. He can say what he wants, but from where I'm sitting, his frustration has more to do with himself, than anything else.

BTW, I haven't noticed anyone commenting on the most obvious point here.

How is our most skilled player supposed to perform at the highest level, against the best players, when he has some problems in MLS? 30 points is not bad, but what does it mean in terms of Europe? Lets see him play against the best players, in a better league and then he can talk about frustration.

18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. Unless you suspend him for being immature and stupid. Of course, MLS would have to suspend a lot of players for those characteristics...

As I posted in the Quakes board, I was embarrased by the actions of the team in the second half. They lost their composure and did some really stupid things (see Waibel and Donovan). Whether for the tackle or elbow, Donovan should have been taking an early shower. However, the referee was a disgrace. Both teams were effected by his inability to control the game.

Since the league has been inconsistant with suspensions, it's hard for me to say that Donovan should be suspended (although I wouldn't have a problem with it). Even though he stated his intent after the game, what is the difference from him stating his intent publically versus a player who has the same intent, but doesn't comment on it?

Unfortunately, until MLS officiating gets better, we are going to continue to have these threads...

19. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    First off I will say that I don't believe that Landon Donovan is a dirty player. It's not like what happened to Mike Ammann in 2000 when Diallo stepped and kicked him puncturing his lung and cracking his ribs and there was enough time to pull out of his run, but he didn't. It was reckless and a Red Card should have been issued. That paticular incident should have been at least between 3 to 5 matches.

The Metro frustrated Donovan all afternoon. I can understand that in an energy pact matchup and your not scoring a goal since your last three. But still he threw his elbow into the keeper. He was intending to injure the keeper. Yes he made contact and yes I think Donovan should be suspended for one match. To teach him a lesson and to make sure that he never does this again under frustartion. He has to learn not to do this. What would have happened in the World Cup if he did the same thing to Perez of Mexico, or Baia of Portugal, or even Oliver Kahn of Germany. The Red Card is out and FIFA would have suspended him harshly.

I'm not branding Donovan a dirty player. I am however disappointed to see him do this, and to resort to these tactics that you usually see in Brazil, Mexico, And anywhere else in Central or South America. I have seen some of these sports blooper shows when they have footage from down there.

When Jonny Walker was landing on the ground he got the elbow from Donovan. And Donovan connected. He deserves a one match suspension and for those defending him, I'm sorry but you have no leg to stand on this one. You can't protect what the Video Evidence showed. Intent to throw the right elbow.

Once again. I don't think Donovan is a dirty player, but a one match suspension is deserved so he can learn from this and move on.

20. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, you're right here. And I'm afraid the same thing is going to happen to LD. This is really the first time he's said/done anything like this, and it's going to stick for a long time, I imagine. And it too is a shame because whatever he might do for the Nats and the Olympic team and the Quakes and MLS, this incident is what is going to stay in some people's mind.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another voice of reason. I appreciate the way you've expressed your thoughts, and they're very good thoughts, I might add. Perhaps if MLS doesn't suspend him, Yallop just might, and it would not be undeserved. Since this doesn't usually characterize his play, perhaps the coach will cut him some slack. But I too hope he learns from this, and just figures out a way to put the ball in the back of the net in situations like this.

22. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a stupid statement? Please go back to the Quakes board so you don't embarrass the rest of the Quakes posters...

Yes, soccer is a contact sport. However, when a player throws an elbow intentionally at a player, you are not talking about a fair and solid challenge.

Donovan flipped and should have been tossed from the game. He seemed to have matured this year. So, hopefully, this is an anomaly...

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's all the more reason why LD should be suspended -- he admitted that he had intent to take Guevara down.
    You really need to take your head our of your ass on this. Why would MLS HQ ever care if Guevara "deserved" it or not? LD made a tackle from behind with both feet, and admitted afterward that he did it intentionally. That would be more than enough for most leagues to take action.

Here's a parallel from earlier in the season: When Metros played at Columbus in May, in overtime Chad McCarty made a hard tackle on John Wolyniec that got him a yellow and then barrelled into Tim Howard with no card given. Then in the final minute, on a corner kick, Wolyniec threw an elbow into McCarty's face. The refs didn't see it, but afterwards Woly still got a fine and a two-game suspension for it. The intent was clearly retaliation for McCarty's hard play, and I don't think that Metro fans shed any tears when he went down in a heap, but of course Woly still deserved the suspension.

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC

Bwahahahahahahahah!!!!!!

Ok, so one week Donovan is complaining about the Revs hacking him, and basically calling them out as not playing like "men". They fouled him and he whined in the media later.

Fast forward, and Donovan hacks a guy out of frustration, admits doing so after the game, and this is fine? So he'll complain to the media that he's being hacked, but will turn around and do the hacking later?

Talk about being hypocritical. Give me a break Quakes fans. How can you defend the contradictory actions of Donovan? I'm confused...

25. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not to mention the hurt that ollie kahn would lay on him immediately after.