Should Cosmos Buy Red Bulls? SI Says RB Available For Right Price

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by oneeyedfool, Oct 1, 2014.

1. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Both NYCFC and NY Cosmos both want to within NY in or near the 5 Boro's.
    There could be something said of being in the North Jersey area as well though. The Giants and Jets have made it really work well for them.
    Similar to football Soccer matches are mostly played on the weekends with some matches during mid-week unlike the NBA with the Nets having 41 home games on the schedule.
    For NYCFC, if they ever find a place to build, a secondary larger venue is available to them at Yankee stadium.
    For the Cosmos should they need a bigger venue for certain matches I am not sure the Mets would be open for a match there. If playing in Harrison there would be a newer option at High Point Solutions stadium in Piscataway home of the now Big 10 Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
    If the Cosmos should be a buyer for the NYRB it certainly would not happen for 2015 so the fear of entering 2 new NYCMetro clubs would not both happen next season.
    RedBull just seems to want out with a stagnet Energy Drink Branding the club.
    Both the Cosmos and NYCFC would do much more to make a success club at what is a very very first rate soccer venue.
    Cosmos have been accused and not done a lot of promotion this season. I think they realize there really is not a whole lot they can do playing at a temp home that really is not home for them

2. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Cosmos on their old stomping ground - and I do mean stomping - IS the magic. The Cosmos name and history and legacy make hallowed ground of an unfancied area.

The Cosmos were very much NYC's team AND New Jersey's. Now the Div 1 league product is arguably better, the stadium experience is light years better than the Meadowlands, and RBA is much easier to get to.

Cosmos and (MLS Harrison) need each other, are made for each other, and a smart partnership could help take US pro soccer to another level.

cflsteve and oneeyedfool repped this.
  3. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am not sure they need each other but you do make some great points. It is just something about an Energy Drink team in NYC that has lost the luster it had when re branding and Building NYRB Arena.
    Cosmos are all about soccer and playing out of the Modern SSS opposed to Giants Stadium is definitely much better.
    I am sure if the Cosmos do get the Elmont Stadium that will make a huge difference as well whether they go tier1 MLS or stay NASL.
    Cosmos would be a much better fit in the Jersey area than NYCFC for sure, with Cosmos having more Jersey/Giants stadium roots as a second pro sports club along with the NFL Giants that made that a viable area for pro sports.
    A bit off topic but with Rutgers in the BIG 10 for football at the much upgraded "High points solution stadium. Along with a likely rise again in Seton Hall basketball with the Big East back to Basketball only power conference.
    Bigger high profile regional rivals with the Jersey side and the Jersey NYC Metro vs the 5 Boro's Metro across more sports an more leagues.

oneeyedfool repped this.
  4. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were the Cosmos I would buy them, play at RBA until Belmont or another stadium in the NY proper happens, then sell RBA to NYCFC. Or buy RB and straight up sell RBA to NYCFC and play at Citi Field until a SSS gets approved in NYC.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which would kind of defeat the purpose of calling them NYCFC, wouldn't it?

6. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. They would use it temperately as well. Wayyy easier said then done tho!

7. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea! I'm sure NYCFC is just waiting for RBA to become available for purchase. They just didn't buy it two years ago because they wanted to make sure the Cosmos were all set first.

8. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is far more logical for the Cosmos, who have roots in NJ, to play in NJ rather than a team called NYC FC

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  9. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RB have been for sale for 2 years?

10. QuakesForever

QuakesForever Member

Mar 15, 2014
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but Red Bulls called themselves New York.. So do the Giants and Jets..

11. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And so would the New York Cosmos... There's nothing controversial about that. It's not for example like the "San Francisco" 49ers playing an hour away in Santa Clara.

12. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One factor that the Cosmos should consider is that if they don't buy NYRB someone else will. Not only does that seal off MLS, but it introduces what would almost certainly be a stronger competitor into the local market. Maybe that teams reverts to the MetroStars name or comes up with something new, but they won't be named after an energy drink anymore. With NYC FC coming in next year and looking strong, another strong MLS team in the NY area makes it even harder for a NASL Cosmos to establish themselves in the market even with the Elmont stadium. Harder, not impossible.

13. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    YES! Cosmos to MLS!!!

14. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue Member

Sep 18, 2013

:eek:

15. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, threads like this have a way of being called rumors when they are speculation. That being said, it is the most sensible move for the Cosmos. With Henry and maybe Cahill leaving without being replaced as DPs according to rumor, and with Red Bull backing out of the USL team, it seems as though they are pulling back their investment in MLS. Just as the team is starting to draw too. Perfect time for the Cosmos to pounce.

The question is really whether the Cosmos are wise enough to seize the day, or if they still imagine their brand is too good for MLS. As a fan who loves the club, I hope they don't let pride get in the way of taking the club to the next level.

As I said before, however, I can't see MLS letting a "new" brand come into NY the same year as NYC FC. They'll be more likely to buy them back like Chivas and then bid it out after the Sheikh's first season.

The Irish Rover and Sam U El repped this.
  16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record Straus and IMS Soccer, who I both respect, never really answered me. Outside of rumors, conjectures and BigSoccer, I've never read or heard the Cosmos say they were interested in buying the RB.

Prosoccercdn and Sam U El repped this.
  17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there is a lot of cryptic messaging all over the place. I'm always more concerned by what's not being said then what is being said. MLS said that the Red Bulls aren't going to be sold:

The New York Red Bulls are not for sale.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...sioner-don-garber-new-york-red-bulls-not-sale

"There are no plans to sell the New York Red Bulls,” read the club's statement. "While interest in soccer continues to grow in the U.S. and MLS continues to expand, Red Bull is confident now more than ever in the investment and committed to the franchise and its supporters."

Now while that sounds fairly resolute. That doesn't mean things couldn't change. There was alot of back and forth regarding Henry's retirment discussions initially.

New York Red Bulls, Thierry Henry talking about future, but "there's no rush," says Andy Roxburgh

Roxburgh, ever the astute linguist, initially sidestepped the inevitable question about the recent comments made by Houllier, Red Bull's head of global football, stating that Henry was likely to retire at season’s end. But when pressed on the matter, Roxburgh admitted that he had a good idea as to what the French forward will do – even if the Red Bulls are in no immediate hurry to force Henry to make a decision.

Now after all of that Henry said it was always known that he would leave the Red Bulls at the end of his contract. The point is that Everything is subject to negoation until it's not. When the final whistle blew last Saturday the Red Bulls were in a rebuilding mode... Period end of conversaion. Their front office is changing (chaos) and their roster is changing (chaos). Does the Red Bull HQ's really want to go through that rebuilding process or simply say that Soccer is hard in NYC and just sell the operation? It's still debatable. Are the Cosmos still in the running for a place in MLS? I think if the stars align correctly they will. The Cosmos' owners understand more about what their brand is worth now than they did when they first bought it. They also know the value of working within the established system than against it. How that all plays out is still up in the air. Gio was in a meeting a few weeks ago when he came out to do his normal presser and said, “Just coming out of a meeting that could change the future of our club.” That was back on the 8th of October. What happened a few days before Gio made that statement? Grant Wahl came out with an article on Planet Futbol with the headline:

'Zero chance' Henry returns to the Red Bulls; Club's owners losing interest.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-fut...red-bulls-mls-premier-league-uefa-concussions

I'm not saying that this is proof positive the Cosmos are MLS bound but the Cosmos are ultimately a better club brand and fit for NYC than the Red Bulls. Likewise the jury is still out on what MLS, NASL, USL and USSF ultimately look like 10 years down the road. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

18. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Right, and we would all be so jazzed on derby day, NYCFC v. NYCosmos live from RBA. Please!

19. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't lie to yourself you'd buy front row tickets. :p

oneeyedfool repped this.
  20. jspech

jspech Member

Dec 12, 2013
    #145 jspech, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
    dude I want to be as far away from some MLS fans as possible, to overbearing & Kumbaya-ish for competitive sports fo my liking. So no way. I'll watch on tv, because I support a club, NY Cosmos not a league. But no way would I find the excitement that was RB v. NYCosmos w/ NYCFC v. Cosmos. For me to get jazzed about that. I'd be a phony. In a few yrs after NYCFC establish itself maybe.

But my college bud, a RB fanatics already invited me to Yankees stadium RB v. NYCFC, I'll go to that, w/zero emotions as a wingman

21. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    #146 Zoidberg, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2014
    Hopefully we start hearing some leaks soon. If not then it may all just be hot air.

22. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

Yes the commish had mentioned that in a article that the RB sales rumors are not true. Why now anyway NYCFC now coming in as a NYC metro rival.
    As for the Cosmos you may be right and could have changed their thought process on the single entity set up. If they Should get into the MLS via Red Bulls and the North Jersey Stadium, Emerites would like up the Jersey Sponsor $$$.

23. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    CEO speak is CEO speak. Means little.

Yes, RB has a rival, but maybe they don't want to completely overwhelmed by that rival, and/or they don't want to continue to invest as much as they have been.

Off season should be ineteresting.

Will be impossible to have any real meeting or exploratory meeting without someone catching wind of it in this day and age. RB's action this offseason will also be a major telling point.

24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Less you forget this is the Cosmos NASL forum, not NYC General.

Cosmos fans should feel free here to express themselves. Others, not so much.

25. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Absolutely. My points were clear. I don't believe the majority of NYC fans are close minded to MLS, and most have expressed that. Also, there are reasons RB might want out, and if NYC wants in, we should start to hear things as the off season progresses.

nanoGVSP repped this.