Should Cities Buy Pro Teams

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Gamecock14, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    No. The writer knows nothing about anything. He's just some untrained local "new media" with a niche following.

El Naranja, jason1551 and Bubba1971 repped this.
  3. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    No. Cities are already screwed up we don't need them to screw up my favorite club.

4. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I'd like to see cities gain ownership shares in clubs but never controlling shares.

That is if the entity invested money in the stadium.

superdave, ielag and Fanatical Monk repped this.
  5. MLSFan10

MLSFan10 Member

Mar 23, 2014
    I think it'd be beneficial to everyone as cities would become much more willing to build stadiums...

6. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Actually, it might be just the opposite. Why would they build a new stadium when there's already a stadium for [insert NFL/NCAA team here].

7. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe I am missing something here, but, let's say United were bought by D.C., aren't they still in need of a new stadium?? Or would they just be playing at RFK rent-free?

8. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The author goes off on a really weird tangent, but the main point is asking why cities pony up money for what is generally a losing venture for the city when they could buy the club and keep the revenues.

What you are bringing up is the main reason it might not work. It would have to be run like a business that uses governmental resources. Which might not happen.

xtomx repped this.
  9. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fvck no, this goes totally against the proven business practice or privatizing profits and socializing losses.

Elninho, RfrancisR, derek750 and 6 others repped this.
  10. Bubba1971

Bubba1971 Member+

Nov 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where to begin...

1. Fan associations, supporters trusts, etc., are completely different than government ownership. He's equating the two, and that's stupid. I'm all for fan ownership, because fans actually care about the team. Government would sell the team the second they had a fiscal crisis.

2. Any type of collective ownership really only works when a team is generating a big operating profit. Green Bay, Barcelona, and Bayern Munich all do that. Most MLS teams do not. MLS counts on very rich people constantly spending their money to improve their product in hopes that maybe, some day, they can sell it for a total profit. I can't see a city council approving a budget that includes pouring money into an MLS team for the next 10 years.

Etcetera.

11. revsfan603

revsfan603 Member

New England Revolution
    Jun 20, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    ADO Den Haag
  12. rocketeer22

rocketeer22 Member+

Apr 11, 2000
    Oakton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In DC's scenario I expect the value would be about even. The District's portion is for the infrastructure, land, and future tax abatements. The club's contribution is about $150 million for the construction.

13. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    How long before they run the team like a tollbooth?

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    "Want to use the highway? You have to go to a CUSA game, first."

That would have been amazing.

15. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO

That's much better than what I was thinking. "What? city workers want a raise? Guess we're raising ticket prices now and you can forget about that new fancy DP."

ImaPuppy repped this.
  16. Matt Hall

Matt Hall Member+

Sep 26, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Haha, like anyone working for the city, state, or federal government has gotten a raise in the past 5 years...

Sounders78 repped this.
  17. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We're running on 6+ now since we've had a raise but the governor is promising to put something like a 3% raise in the budget. Of course, after all the alterations to the proposed budget, it will go down to 1% if we are lucky. :(

Matt Hall and jayd8888 repped this.
  18. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Ha, I too work for the state. This sounds too familiar.

Matt Hall and Sounders78 repped this.
  19. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Cities should use eminent domain to buy teams if the team is threatening to move and the demanded subsidy to stay exceeds the value of the team. The leading US Supreme Court case on eminent domain is the Kelo case where the court held that public use is pretty much whatever the government says it is. In that case a city wanted to force a woman to sell her house so they could turn around and flip it to a real estate developer who would privately profit from building an office park. The city's claim was that the greater real estate taxes generated would provide services to all citizens.

There was some backlash to the decision with various states passing laws restricting eminent domain. But depending on the state, it may very well be legal to take a sports team that way. Sports leagues hate the idea and usually have partnership terms that prevent publicly owned bodies but those would probably fail an anti-trust challenge if the league tried to force out a publicly owned team.

I live in Columbus and am a Packer shareholder just so I can claim to be an NFL owner;-). Our local baseball team the Clippers (Indians AAA club) is owned by the county government and plays in a relatively new county owned stadium. The team operates at a modest profit so there is no annual fight over how much to subsidize it. When the stadium was built a few years ago there were shenanigans in the construction contracts. State law requires using the lowest bidder so various methods were used to disqualify non-union shops and steer the contracts to favored bidders. But that's as much as politics interacts with sports here.

harrylee773 repped this.
  20. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    Government running stuff is communism. Government giving stuff to rich people and corporations is capitalism. Stand with capitalists against communists.

21. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Pittsburgh briefly own the Pirates back in the 80's, or am I misremembering that from my childhood readings of the Sporting News. This would have been before the stadium building boom, but the Pirates were pretty miserable at that point.

22. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    In 1984 there was some talk of the state of MD using eminent domain to keep the Baltimore Colts from leaving town. It was along time ago but I believe that is why the Colts snuck out in the middle of the night in the infamous Mayflower trucks in the snow.

23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got 4% last year but that was the first 'raise' I had received in 3 years. But I did have a job reclassification in that period that resulted in a ~17% jump. Nevermind that I had been doing the job I got reclassified to for 4 years previous, and did not get back pay.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It looks like You Be The Don has begun it's traditional winter offensive against News & Analysis.

JasonMa, terrier and jayd8888 repped this.
  25. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    [​IMG]

JasonMa, RafaLarios and AndyMead repped this.