Should Bolanos start the dallas game

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know he hasn't played with the team yet and the usual procedure would be to put him in, in the second half but I think he should start, let's see what he can do.

2. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    He has trained with the team for as many as 3 weeks already. Minimum 2. I get the feeling from the quotes from the guys that he fits in really well and that he is pumped to get on the field. Plus it's Dallas.

3. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    OK fine, start him.

Now tell us who sits?

4. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    ---------------Zach----
    --------CJ----Jimmy----Boca
    Mapp---Bolanos---Armas---Jesse---DMB
    ----------Ante----Damani----

5. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    when is the last time Beas had a break? Let him sit this one so he can be fresh for the stretch run.

6. Fireball_Dan

Fireball_Dan New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Palos Park, IL
    I would at least give hime some playing time this Saturday.

7. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    It's hard to say not having ever seen him train with the team. But it never makes much sense to just throw a guy in there for the sake of "seeing what he can do". We have a deep bench and are playing well. Better to play a normal lineup at first and then bring him in situation permitting in the second half.
    We are certainly not desperate so moving ahead slowly is the right way to go. It's fair to the players who have been on the team all year long as well. i.e. Andy Williams, Kelly Gray.

8. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Beez definately needs a break. Aside from that close goal attempt he had in LA, he hasn't been himself the last couple of games.

9. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

If we're up by a couple of goals, bring him. Let's see what he can do. Maybe he can be a surprise weapon to use against LA in the Open Cup.

10. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    So sit DMB, Start Williams in the spot I have Bolanos in and start Kelly or Whitfield on the wing. Then at the half sub in Bolanos.

11. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our offense has been pathetic the last three games. Only a great goal by williams averted a shutout in Ne. A header goal by a defender bocanegra averted a shutout against columbus. A nice razov header set up ralph and a stoppage time goal by jaqua in LA. We still have not shown midfield play assisting in scoring. Get Bolanos in there,what is the fear, we will miss all the assists and goals of whitfield and marsch.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Also, if there is any time to risk trying something new, it is against the dallas burn.

13. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    We've lost one game in what? Almost two months.
    It's very easy to sit here and plug this guy in and take that guy out. But in fact, there is a lot more to it then that. Chemistry is a huge issue with any good team and the coach needs to consider that as well as many other things. You can't just plug Bolanos into a starting role in his first game. I would be incredibly suprised if Coach Sarachan did it. Though, I don't expect he will. If there were injuries to Mapp and Williams, sure that would make sense. But they are both healthy according to the injury report so as I said, I expect Bolanos will have to make his first performance as a substitute. After that, performance will decide what happens.

14. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Chemistry is important, so my feelings are that we need to get this guy playing time now so he can have a positive impact for the playoffs. Otherwise it's write him off until an optional next season.

15. jjayg

jjayg New Member

May 9, 2002
    Rolling Ghettos, IL
    No argument there. He definately needs some PT. I just don't think you start him for his first action.

16. FootieBloke007

FootieBloke007 New Member

Apr 25, 2003
    Chicago
    Good thing to do would probably be, depending on how we're doing in the game(it IS Dallas..like mentioned earlier), would be to put in Bolanos halfway into the second half to give him decent playing time and to see the impact he makes on the team.

17. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Obviously if the team is winning, we can find him some space on the field. If we're (gasp) losing, what's the thought?

Giving him a start might be a good idea, because I feel like if we have to we can come from behind to beat Dallas. Our team is used to this kind of field so we can adjust quick enough.

Also, if he starts, it's only one substitution to get him off the field. If we wait, we'll have to sub him on and potentially off if there's a big problem.

Coaches are usually conservative about this stuff so I expect him to get some second half minutes.

18. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I'd like to give him this pass, but for my money, DMB has lost the desire to go hard full 90 for the club.

I think he's reading the press clippings more than proving it on the field. Either that or Sarachan has been holding him in our half of the field for some mysterious reason, which I doubt. I think Whitfield has been getting more touches on the ball in the offensive end than DMB, so something ain't right. In any case, he doesn't seem to want the ball with a clear determination to make game-breaking plays.

19. Mr. Trike

Mr. Trike New Member

Apr 7, 2003
    Chicago
    OR
    --------------Ring----------------
    --------whit--Gray---Perez--------
    Futagaki----Pause--Walls---Capano
    -------------Bolanos--------------
    ----------Dipsy--Jaqua------------

20. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    No way would an attacking mid be able to screw up sufficiently to turn a situtation which Sarachan feels is safe enough to give a new player some minutes into a scramble to get a point. Bolanos should play in the second half. Maybe 45 minutes, but probably 20. He might come in for Mapp.

21. FairWeatherFan

Sep 9, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You're totally right on that one, but at the same time we've had a number of games to see what Williams can do as an attacking midfielder... and that's play well, but not well enough to be a consistent starter. If there's anybody you could just throw somebody in against this season, it would be dallas.

Chemistry is important, but it's the coach's job to see who the best players are in practice and put those players on the field (very profound I know, but bear with me), so if Bolaños is playing like a starter in practices, the rest of the team would probably understand why he would get a starting nod. I've never seen him practice, so I'll trust Coach S's judgement on this one. I'm just saying that if he's good, then the team will understand why he gets to play. if he's not, then he'd better be damn good at tekken 3, otherwise Dipsy will own bragging rights on the bench.

Aut 3 Baby!