Should Ben Sahar and anyother Footballer or Athlete be exempt for military service

Discussion in 'Israel' started by Cloudkicker09, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Cloudkicker09

Cloudkicker09 Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Windy City, Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    (finishing title) in effort to improve Israel's competitive (ps in the title it is 'from' not 'for')

The following was written on the BBC webite
    Chelsea's 17-year-old striker Ben Sahar must pin his hopes on a memeber of Israel's parliament to avoid the military draft potentially ruining his Blues' career. (Guardian)

I believe that if we are truly to advance in football or any other sport for that matter and show the world what we are really made of, we need to exempt great athletes like Sahar from military service so that during the pivotal years of their 'atheltic development' they can be harnassing their abilities instead of interuppting their training for military service.

In a way aren't they still serving their country, just by defending Israel through the use of their talent instead of with a tank.

Don't get me wrong I support the Israeli Defense Forces, the Sahal, I even dated a few soliders ;) , I believe that everyone should serve and that refusniks are cowards. Again in a way the althletes are still serving their country, just by defending Israel through the use of their talent instead of with a tank.

politics aside what does everyone think?

(please excuse the poor wording this was written very late or very early depending how you look at it, but the issue is still important)

2. YossiFan

YossiFan New Member

Jul 15, 2006
    London
    I really do agree.

In my opinion these athletes could sign an agreement where they offer 3 years or maybe less amount of time once they have retired. If they have been a professional sportsman for 15-20 years, then surely they would have a lot to teach young Israeli recruits about physical activities.

3. SabraDani

SabraDani New Member

Nov 4, 2006
    New Jersey
    I think he should be able to fulfill his service in different ways. For example, working for a period of time at an embassy or as a spokesman so as to be able to continue his training. I agree that it shouldn't ruin his career but I don't think he should just be able to skip it altogether.

4. OBizz

OBizz New Member

Oct 9, 2006
    A tank :confused:

You know what Yossi Benayoun (and other "sportaim mitztaynim") do for their military service. Yossi would wake up early three times a week, turn on the sprinklers at the base, maybe take some pictures, and leave. It's not like Sahar would be doing anything different or anything crucial for Israeli security.

Like all Israelis (and I lived there for a long time) I know how important the army is. But you're telling me they really need Sahar to turn on sprinklers? That's more important than the national football team?

5. Yossi Benayoun was a Mashak Sport. He would train the Shayetet in Haifa. KYHS served at the same time as him, so he should know.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Hey, he could get out of the service by attending yeshiva while playing footy. :D