Should Beckham Take His Act To Las Vegas Instead Of Miami?

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by DaveBrett, Dec 10, 2014.

1. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
  2. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He has to stick with Miami since he can't use his franchise discount anywhere but Miami. If Miami doesn't work out, he's probably done with MLS.

3. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I don't think that's correct. MLS could easily change the rules on the fly.
    They've done it before.

JasonMa repped this.
  4. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    That is totally correct. Garber confirmed it on a CNBC "Squawk on the Street" several months ago. Besides, no owners are going to vote to give Beckham $75 million bucks (if you assume that the new franchise value is now $100 m since Beckham has a $25 million franchise option) if he can't make it in Miami. There is nothing in it for them.

5. DaveBrett

DaveBrett Member

Nov 28, 1998
    Austin, Texas
    I don't agree. If the owners decide that Las Vegas is a better destination, and Beckham can't get a good stadium deal in Miami, they can vote to allow him to move there. What Garber said several months ago represented what he was thinking back then. It doesn't represent what he will think several months from now.

6. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #6 Cyclonis, Dec 11, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    Miami MLS needs to go away! PRONTO! I have been monitoring their activity on the fan front and the majority of them wanted a total euro-clone name for their team. It was either Miami United or Inter Miami... any suggestion I made that did not fit the euro-clone syndrome was instantly shot down and eventually they had me banned for merely making team name suggestions. They were hardcore in their insistence that the name needed to be a euro-clone name to sound official...:confused: Building a foundation on top of close-minded fans like that is like building a house on quicksand. It was bound to fail anyways, so if Beckham can open up shop in Vegas, I say go for it. The name that is catching on there is 1000% better than anything the 'fans' from Miami came up with..

[​IMG]

7. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Why would the owners do that though? There is already an ownership group that is working on the stadium out there. That group would already know that the expansion fee is going to be 100 million or so. Why would the owners allow Beckham to take his discount over to Las Vegas and join the LV ownership group and lose out on 75 million dollars? if Beckham is going somewhere other than Miami it is going to be somewhere that MLS wants to be but they don't have a strong or any interested ownership groups. The reason MLS doesn't care that they'd only get 25 million for a Miami franchise is that they (and presumably their TV partners) want a team there. This discount allows an ownership group more money to try and get a stadium built downtown. There is no incentive to allow Beckham to take his discount to a location that has the 100 million expansion fee AND stadium lined up.

8. Jewelz510

Jewelz510 Member+

Feb 19, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas doesn't seem any more promising as far as fan support.

Boloni86 and Topper repped this.
  9. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    What business is it of yours what fans of another city want to call their team? What's amazing is that you are so Dunning-Kruger that you don't even see that what you just said applies more to you than them.

BrodieQPR repped this.
  10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Wow a sport played indoors on ice isn't so popular in a city world famous for its sun, palm trees and beaches ... Go figure.

MLS would do fine in Miami. This isn't your grand dad's Miami any more and fan support for Marlins, Heat etc is irrelevant. There is an untapped niche there that is ripe for soccer. There's been a huge wave of middle class/upper middle class people moving into Southern Florida in the last decade from Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Russia, Germany, UK, Middle East etc ... Put Beckham's celebrity seal of approval on the franchise and splash some money at some big name players and embrace Miami's flashy sexy personality and you have a solid starting point.

11. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Huh? :confused: Care to explain?

You see, the beauty of the American style nicknames is that you literally have millions of different options to choose from. However, if your intent is to copy off an already successful European brand, the amount of choices are much more limited and thus you have the ridged, close-mindedness I was talking about. So, from that perspective.. what are you talking about..?

12. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    I meant that you accuse them of being rigid and closed-minded, but you yourself are being rigid and closed-minded by insisting that fans of a team that doesn't exist and that you don't support, follow your preference.

I should leave it at that, but I will also address your first sentence. It might seem that there are millions of options, but I would argue that really there isn't. For an American style team name, your options are actually very limited: The [city name] [somethings]. Not only that, you need to come up with something that most people agree doesn't sound weird or lame. Because of the millions of dollars on the line, no pro club is going to take any kind of risk with the name and is going to subject it to so much focus group testing that they will never come up with anything interesting.

BrodieQPR repped this.
  13. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

You are backing yourself into a corner. If, as you claim, the American style naming system is very limited, copying euro-names remains exponentially more so! You have [city name] [somethings], where the something is limited to a few euro-club names that marketing thinks has enough international recognition to piggyback off of. And for the people that disagree about an American style name sounding weird or lame, you will find a great deal more fans that have problems with these euro-style copycats. Almost universally, these names have been rejected and yet MLS keeps forcing them upon us. It is like they want to make it even more challenging to get people to come out to games. Geez! Stop already!

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    is this really the type of team pedigree we want in MLS?? i would rather have teams in mid-market cities like portland, SKC, RSL, vancouver and orlando that are building from the ground up, including a passionate, committed fan base with supporters groups who are in it, thick or thin- not supported for the glitz and style and when that doesnt play out well, off they go

thats is why i would rather have sacramento and minnepaolis than LV and Miami

15. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    OK, I'm done. Your reading comprehension is terrible, and what you insist is fact is not backed up by any evidence. On the contrary, MLS would not be looking at Euro sounding names if they weren't getting a lot of feedback in favor of them.

Peace.

16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I always get the feeling that Miami teams often try to promote themselves as world teams instead of just marketing to actual locals who can attend events.

17. 4four4

4four4 Member+

Nov 13, 2013
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Michael Russo the current beat writer for the Wild and former beat writer for the Panthers says if they put together a team who can win some games the fans will come back.

18. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't care either way ... the only MLS team I care about already exists.

I think if we're going deep into Southern markets there's an inherent acceptance that fans will be more casual. Something in the sunny climate makes people very laid back ... I'd expect similar issues in San Diego, Vegas, New Orleans, Atlanta, Phoenix etc ... Houston and LA are steady but not exactly ground breaking in fervent fan support ... Orlando could prove to be the counter argument but it's still too early for me to assume that.

It is what it is ... my main goal is to see MLS expand, expand and expand some more. I don't expect that all the franchises will be "perfect" but I think many cities could work in their own ways. I see no reason why Miami couldn't work if they get a good plan in order.

19. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a question of franchise placement, not a solicitation for your preferred name, logo, and color scheme. It is certainly not an invatation to continue your rant against what you call Euro names, nor is it an invatation to discuss other unrelated teams and their branding decisions. Continued attempts to hijack threads in this manner will be met with appropriate action, up to and including additional forum bans.

JasonMa repped this.
  20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    WRONG! they get his name and as we found in 2007 when becks joined the league, he is a world figure and a great ambassador for MLS and soccer in the states- he along with the new TFC franchise, elevated the public profile of MLS not only in NA, but also around the world

should he decide he is done with miami- which i hope is true- another franchise with a $25 mill buy-in should still be on the table- LV has lots of glitz and i am amazed that it is now a possible MLS franchise with the latest news about the SSS- it would be a sound decision to keep him involved in MLS as an owner, wherever that is

21. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Another $25 million dollar franchise won't be on the table. That is the point of a contract. MLS doesn't need Beckham anymore anyways.

22. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unlike other people on this forum, I like to give reasons as to why I have reached a conclusion. Perhaps, it is better if I simplified a bit so that others can understand.

Miami = Bad
    Vegas = x+y (where 'x' is still undetermined)

And since they voted for a new SSS in Vegas, it looks like the plan is in motion. Might as well lock this thread as there is no reason to give Miami fans any sense of false hope any longer.

[​IMG]

And welcome Las Vegas to MLS!!! OH YEAH!!!!!!

[​IMG]

JEY Z2100 repped this.
  23. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And when those reasons are germane to the topic there is not a problem, when there is however no relationship at all that is when it becomes trolling. As for the status of this thread there so far has been no indication whatsoever than Beckham and co can and would consider moving operations so pretty sure it will stay open a while longer.

24. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Inter Miami would be a fine name.

25. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I prefer Juventus Miami. If you are 100% going to copy off any already established entity and piggyback off their name, at least choose a team that is successful.. :confused:

xtomx repped this.