should 16 teams Copa America continues ?

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by w-inds., Jun 27, 2016.

1. w-inds.

w-inds. Member

May 6, 2006
    should they keep the current format in next tournaments ?

2. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Sure why not.. but don't host it in USA all the time.. they should continue to host the 2019 edition in Brazil, and the 2023 one in Ecuador.

Unak78 and La Trucha repped this.
  3. JamieFox

JamieFox Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I think if it's a 16 team tournament that can work well, however it would need to be a merging of the Copa America and the Gold Cup. I don't see room in the calendar for both a 16-team Copa America and a Gold Cup. Players need some summers without tournaments because of the demanding club league, injuries, fitness etc.

If you merged the two tournaments and ended the Gold Cup you might need a qualifying competition, or even more than 16 teams.

posteador and MatthausSammer repped this.
  4. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    damn, that would be a whole bunch of teams participating.. it would feel more like a World Cup

5. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's been a success commercially and football wise, no doubt.

6. Abram Jones

Abram Jones Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Wisconsin (WI)
    Yes, of course they should. The Gold Cup is kinda worthless anyway because Mexico and United States are the only sizable countries in North America (regarding wealth and population amount). South America also lacks this to a lesser degree, and these 2 teams along with a few small North American overachievers will supplement them.

Unak78 repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    its not worthless to the other concacaf teams that participate

you cant block them out of a NT tourneys completely

8. JamieFox

JamieFox Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    How about 16 team tournament but with a qualifying round. All the teams that qualified for the last world cup qualify automatically, but playoffs or some short qualifying tournament for the other places. For tournaments where the Copa is 1 year after a world cup, just use the world cup qualification placings so the world cup qualifiers can serve as qualifying for both, with a higher cutoff for world cup and a lower one for Copa America.

Some countries might struggle to find enough stadia to host a 16 team tournament, but I think you lower the bar on what's acceptable for a few of the lower key group games (20,000 stadia and so on) and consider joint hostings across two neighbouring countries.

I think keeping the Gold Cup and Copa America separate is OK as well, but Mexico in that case should just stick with Gold Cup and not be invited to Copa America, at least not if they are going to show up with weak squads.

9. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Im sure they are considering it.
    There's a Gold Cup played every 2 years right? One of those is the same year Copa America is played, on that year the 2 cups can merge and make a tournament similar to this one we just saw. CONCACAF wins because they still keep their Gold Cup (it will only be played every 4 years now) and they get to play Copa America in their home US.
    Will CONMEBOL change the worlds oldest tournament to US? Leave us fans without a CONMEBOL tournament? Will Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay etc etc never host another cup? Its for CONMEBOL officials to decide and they dont think about fans.

10. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    It's been a success commercially for who?
    Not for the Conmebol federations, it has not. Chile is getting the most: 6 million.
    Some of them are not even clearing a million. I think the total collected by all is about 20 out of over 300 million total earnings. The winner of the Euro alone is getting 27!
    So who's getting the money? Certainly not the ones who should get it, certainly not the Conmebol clubs who against all odds are STILL creating the players that make all this possible.
    So stop the myths already! Commercial success my arse...

Rickdog and posteador repped this.
  11. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Why are you always so Angry? LOL [​IMG]

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All I wrote was that it was a success commercially, there is no denying that in terms of TV rights and ratings, box office revenue, sponsorship deals, concessions/merchandise sales, and social media interest. The distribution may need to be discussed for more equitable terms.

Do clubs ever get any money from international tournaments? Did Cobreloa see any payments from last year's tournament, for example?

13. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Clubs form the Confederations, money earned by the national teams are shared amongs the clubs. Small clubs that never make an international tournament, that sell 100 tickets to their game on sunday, count on that money to survive.

So when you talk about commercial "success" I say for who?
    What is the point for Conmebol? What is the point of enriching the tv networks, and a few crooks, at the cost of all the hardship that players go through.
    Look now they'll rest for a week or two and they'll be back doing preseason again. Dont you think that takes a toll?

posteador repped this.
  14. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! Play this every four years, in the mid-year between the World Cups to compete with the Euros. Switch between North America and South America hosting.

Have the confederations play their tournaments in the odd years after the WC and use that as qualifying for this. Maybe have 8 teams from CONMEBOL, 7 from CONCACAF (1 for the host).

I think it could be more successful if billed as a BIGGER, more important tournament and people could plan to actually travel and host it.

15. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    So you are saying for players to play World Cup, Copa America, Copa Conmebol/Concacaf and for one or 2 teams to play Confederations cup the summer before starting all over again? So the regions best players will not have vacations anymore? UEFA clubs will love that and by the way they'll need to squeeze Qualifiers in there.

16. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering CONMEBOL teams only play 18 World Cup Qualifying matches and CONCACAF teams like U.S. and Mexico only play 16 WCQ matches, whereas UEFA teams play qualifying matches for both EURO and World Cup, we aren't really making these players play a whole lot more.

A UEFA team has two rounds of qualifying for both EURO and World Cup, both consisting of at least 20 matches for teams.

I think a one-month tournament every summer is actually more harmful to the MLS players/teams/leagues because we actually play in the summer. We can't have a June break every year (can we?)

But, consider the positives, at least from a CONCACAF point of view, please.
    • Competition against MUCH better opponents. Currently, the U.S., Mexico and Costa Rica (maybe Jamaica) are stuck playing teams like Aruba, Haiti, El Salvador, and Canada in our confederation tournament.
    • More exposure to big games. Along the same lines, unless you're going into Azteca or are playing a Gold Cup semifinal or final, the exposure and pressure of a match are so subdued compared to World Cup play.
    • Revenue sharing. Obviously, this tournament was held this year because it presented a unique money-making opportunity for CONCACAF and CONMEBOL. CONCACAF teams receive a share of the revenue from the Gold Cup, which definitely helps Canada, Aruba and Haiti, but the revenue that could be pulled by a combined tournament would bring even more money to the U.S., Mexico, and Costa Rica.
    I also think that the COMEBOL teams would like to play more than just the same nine teams every time, but I don't know that for sure.

17. svelten

svelten Member

N/A
    Jun 22, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If they expand the CA (unlikely) to 16 teams, there will be no need for an additional tournament and the benefits that this tournament edition has realized will continue in that form. If they want to keep the CA's current format, a new regular joint cup every four years I think would be hard to get approved with 16 teams... too congested and too long.

Still I'm positive it's on the table for discussion now that they're counting all the checks and revenues, and qualitatively assessing the football that has been played this summer (excellent).

18. Zasal2000

Zasal2000 Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Conmebol would under no circumstances agree to a joint tournament that would not include all 10 teams. It would only work with the conmebol 10 + 6 from Concacaf.

Outside of what we saw in the US this year, i would worry about the draws of some of the lesser matches early on in a 16 team tournament. but i think its a great idea, this is a large continent that needs more unity, financial and cultural ties. I'm all for it.

NaBUru38 repped this.
  19. ATLfirefan

ATLfirefan Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 8, 2005
    Norcross, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a glass-half-full take, but I would expect that a regularly scheduled and planned event would draw slightly better than the attendance figures this go-around for non-big country matches.

20. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If CONCACAF were to not have USA host the Gold Cup every two years, and to strip automatic qualification from Canada, then maybe the tournament wouldn't be so Mickey Mouse.

NaBUru38 and dna77054 repped this.
  21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    the line has been crossed folks. NO turning back. Not so much because the CAC was so successful but because the GC has now lost any luster in comparison.

22. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    hmm.. how about this.. Create a whole new tournament all together, for Conmebol and Concacaf teams to compete against each other.. and leave Copa America strickly for Conmebol teams Only.. and Gold Cup strickly for Concacaf teams.. So that would be three competitions.. Copa America, Gold Cup, and ???? i dunno, you guys can think of the name for this new tournament.

ATLfirefan repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Almost Nobody wants to host it except the USA. Only Canada and that was for a Group match day.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Copa America will probably stay at 12 but I am hoping a new Cup with 16 teams will probably come about and be played in the USA. Serious discussions are probably taking place right now.

I think the potential is there for the new hypothetical tournament to be bigger and better. There's 4 years to prepare, four years to promote and advertise it, a few years to figure out how teams should qualify.

I think it can really grow and be better next time around. Especially if CONCACAF teams with large populations find a ways to qualify (Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala)

Also, playing games in Miami would also add to the tournament.

25. Abram Jones

Abram Jones Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Wisconsin (WI)
    These 3 countries have a high degree of extreme poverty which greatly reduces their potential, so in reality they are very tiny countries: