Short Track vs. Long Track Speed Skating

Discussion in 'Olympics' started by Caesar, Feb 20, 2010.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Short Track

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Long Track

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Which do you prefer?

As a casual watcher I have to say I find the short track much more exciting. However I have a feeling that if I greater appreciated the strategy and nuance involved in the latter I might find it more rewarding to watch.

2. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Short track. The tight spaces and the way they zip around the smaller track so quickly makes it more dramatic.

3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I like long track better. It's about who skates the fastest, rather than bizarre judging decisions.

4. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    What's nice about long track is that the better athlete wins rather than the better skater (short track). Short track is more exciting and tactical though.

5. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was a distance runner in high school, and have always been more interested in distance events. Sure short track is exciting, but I like watching the technique and stamina of long track.

6. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    I like short track. It is kinda like watching roller derby on ice.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    As I'm Dutch you can all guess my answer!

I think the two can hardly be compared. They're very different. Even the different distances in the long track are very different. I don't think many people apart from the Dutch can stomach watching a 10k but a 500 sprint everyone will like.

8. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I actually prefer a 10 K (despite the US not winning that since Heiden, IIRC)to a 500.

9. qwidgibo

qwidgibo New Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Genève, Switzerland
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    What is the difference between long track and short track?

10. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Long track: Skaters race as pairs. The skater with the best time after all the pairs have finished wins.

[​IMG]

Short track: Multiple skaters race at the same time. The first skater to cross the finish line wins.

[​IMG]

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Long track is better. :)

12. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It's boring :p

13. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    long track = boring
    short track = fun and exciting

kinda like snow board and ski cross are exciting.
    but in skiing, downhill and all the other disciplines involving only one skier at a time are also equally exciting.

but what makes these things exciting - I would submit to you that it's a little bit like auto racing. the speed involved, and a possibility of a wipeout makes the sport exciting.

14. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    long course and I like watching the longer races. As a mid-distance, sometimes distance swimmer, I appreciate the strategy.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    And that's exactly what makes some people like the long track more. Short track is about instant gratification whereas with the long track it gives you time to properly engage in the sport. With the short track you don't get time to analyse a skater's technique, for example. Or to analyse the race even. Or what influence the circumstances have. Each to their own really.

16. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    short track, snow boarding, ski cross I don't think of these at "true" Olympic sports. They aren't really as much about determine the best athelete as they are about providing exciting wipe-outs for the spectators.

long track speed skating = true Olympic sport
    short track speed skating = roller derby on ice.

17. aerez

aerez Member+

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Long track has it's pros/cons and it's advantages. Short track offers more bang for your buck, I think there are more variations in how speed skating is approached.

18. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I think it's a case of short track being an event where split-second decisions need to be made. There is strategy: where guys position themselves at the start, when to make their move, and interpreting the other skaters intentions.

Seriously, what "strategy" does long track employ? You need to pace yourself and eventually beat the current leader's time. Not very deep. You're racing a clock, not human beings.

I love watching long track too, but because short track is faster and rougher doesn't make it less of a competition. It certainly shouldn't be dismissed as just roller derby on ice as some have said around here.

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think that uncertainty is what makes short track so exciting. In LT, as somebody said, it is about beating the clock. Yes, the skaters display amazing technique and stamina, but heck where is the fun when you can't elbow your way around (kidding)? I like the team events though.

ST is tactic, you see amazing technique, a bad start does not mean that a competitor is no longer able to win and oh boy, those passes and cuts are a thing of beauty. Sometimes the judges make questionable decisions, but precisely the toughness of the penalties is what prevents this fast exciting event from degenerating into a demolition derby.

20. Roger Allaway

Roger Allaway Member+

Apr 22, 2009
    Warminster, Pa.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dislike it for the same reason.

Auriaprottu and cleansheetbsc repped this.
  21. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    No sticks or puck make both boring ;)

22. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    true, but in short track, you have collisions and skaters taking each other out. I remember a few Olympics ago the second place skater decided to take out the first place skater and ended up taking out the entire field except for one guy who was so far behind that he didn't get caught up in it and ended up winning the qualifying heat.

23. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    That's how the Aussies got their only winter olympic gold IIRC.

I was being glib - sure - but I find short track to be pretty much roller derby without the WWF element - and long track is like distance running against a clock. Personally I'd like to see elements of both - maybe a speed skating combined event would be a good addition.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Sorry, but that is just way off! Long-track involves racing human beings as much as, say, the 100m sprint involves racing human beings. Just because you aren't elbowing someone in the face, doesn't mean you aren't racing against them.

Roger Allaway repped this.
  25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I watched some short-track last night. Now I have another criticism: why do we have a 1000m and a 1500m race? I mean, if the competitors are only going full throttle for the final 500-750 meters anyway, is there really enough difference between these lengths to warrant 2 separate events?