Short Term Loans: are good for MLS?(Donovan&Beckham) and why stars from Europe?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DCUdiplomat96, Jan 7, 2009.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Donovan and beckham Doing "short term" "loans" to euro Teams to "better" their game. why dont we see the same from euro players to come to MLS for a lil bit? Im just wondering, personally i dont like both deals, beckham can stay for all I care and Donovan 's move is a little more tolerable. why Cant we(MLS) manage to get Henry or a ronaldinho or evne aShawn Wright-Phillips to play for a "couple" Months?

2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Rocco1313

Rocco1313 Member

May 14, 2008
    NY
    If Barca gets a team then maybe we will see this although more likely would see some of their youth players. It would be cool though to see someone like Messi come to MLS for a few months.

4. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well maybe I just dont want anothe Chivas USA (Barca USA) type thing. loolol

5. Garby80

Garby80 New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Copenhagen
    Club:
    FC København
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The european season is longer, and these players need their vacation and rest, so they can stay clear of injuries.

There is the possibility of loaning players who are not first team players, but MLS have had a policy in the past against that for some reason i can't remember. The rules against has been softened lately when Juan Tojo was brought in on a loan (they later signende him for real).

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The logical thing wouldn't be SWP. It would be Blackburn Rovers loaning Treacy for a season. Something like that.

You know, if I were, say, Chelsea, I'd actively TRY to put one of my young players in LA or NY. The kid would get a season playing at a reasonable level, plus, it would be a very cheap way for Chelsea to spread its brand. If Toja had gone to a Prem team, I'll bet that team would boost its presence in Dallas.

7. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't loans supposedly part of the partnership Chelsea has with LA?

8. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Kapt...to answer your question....just about every "partnership" between MLS clubs and clubs abroad includes some sort of exchange of players and coaches. To date, the only evidence of that is Ricardinho and Rocha joining FC Dallas on loan from Paranaense in Brazil.

As far as loans are concerned, and I'm not 100% sure on this, but because MLS controlls all player contracts, loan deals would be unattractive to them for one big reason.

1) If a player is on loan, MLS doesn't own his contract. They would likely want an option to buy tied into every loan deal (i.e. Toja). Big time European clubs are a lot less likely to sign on for something like that.

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. NYRB brought in a couple of defenders from River Plate. And many years ago the Gals picked up Saragosa and Nagamura that way, right?

But as the teams get more autonomy doesn't the equation change? Doesn't it become possible for, for example, the Gals to bring in a young target striker from their SA partner to knock in Beckham crosses? And doesn't it get harder for MLS rules to stop this?

10. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Saragosa maybe...I'm not so sure about Naga. I'm feeling way too lazy to do the research on that one.

I think it's starting to lean in that direction, but the league still has a huge say in which players go where. Mac Kandji, B-McBride, and Pat Noonan come to mind as expamples of this from last season alone.

I remember talking to Arena right when the Beckham to Milan rumors first started swirling. His response (and he's a smug dickhead in general, but still) was that the league handles all negotiations, so he had no knowledge of any alleged move. Teams basically get a say, but not until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.

11. Pibe the kid

Pibe the kid New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    I'm pretty sure Saragosa and Nagumara were both from the partnership. Although technically not the same thing, Paco Palencia, Juan Pablo Garcia, Pachito Mendoza, etc...though that well has since dried up.

12. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Nagamura was with Arsenal right before joining the Galaxy. Played in their reserve team and youth setups. I don't think Sao Paulo had anything to do with that move. Saragosa did originally come to the Gals on a loan.

That being said, can anyone confirm that the Galaxy has an official parternship with Sao Paulo?