Shopping List for 2003

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by George Griffin, Sep 8, 2002.

1. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wolde has a green card and does not count as an international player.

I too hope they can keep Kante next year. He is dooing very well now and should only get better as he plays the position. It is my understanding that prior to coming here he has played more as a midfielder and even some as a forward.

2. Gregor

Gregor New Member

Jun 23, 1999
    Boston, MA USA

the Kamler backlash is surprising, yeah he's lost a step or two, but he's been INVOLVED as a supersub for winnie.

Also, someone pelase show Winnie a video of Evans Wise and tell him where he ended up, STAT!

3. George Griffin

George Griffin New Member

Feb 18, 1999
    Prince Edward Island
    Re: ,..,

There are good reasons why Winnie is with his fourth MLS team. A speedy left sided National Team player on paper is something most teams would wait in line to pick up yet three teams have lert him go already this year. Since he's a YI for another year I do see us keeping him around for another year but I doubt that he will mature into a good--team--player for the Revs.

4. swissman

swissman Member

Sep 9, 2002
    Boston
    when I first saw winston play for the Revs I got really excited at his speed and ball handling.... now with each game I become more and more frustrated with him..... he doesn't cross very well, always tries to take on too many defenders, and doesn't really appear to have a plan when coming up against a defender.

That flick on by Kamler to Ralston (for the eventual Twellman goal) last game was fantastic!

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I'm pro-WG (for now)

Although I was one of several who expressed this criticism of WG after his first start, my thinking has evolved somewhat.

The question is how well does he combine with his teammates. While it would have been great to have seen WG link up well with his teammates from the start, the fact that he hasn't doesn't mean that he won't. He's a young guy who is used to a different style of play. There's no question of his technique. He needs another couple months to get used to SN, and some consistency in the line-up. I suppose he may never be a great ball crosser, but both wings don't have to be great crossers of the ball. The classic example is Giggs/Beckham for Man U. If he could find his support, who knows?

6. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Didn't Wise end up in the Bundesliga? Seriously.

7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Give the guy a break, he's only been here a few weeks and has been thrown right into the fire. He's had to integrate himself into an offense which is basically the "Ralston-Twellman" show.

He has shown an excellent ability to beat defenders one on one and penetrate into the penalty area. This greatly disrupts the defense and creates space for others.

Griffiths play has indirectly contributed to the revival of the offense after it went into its slump. Just remember how threatening the Revs looked in the few games prior to his arrival!

As for guys like Kamler, Cloutier, Harris and Cullen, they are valuable bench players who don't take up much salary cap and can play a variety of positions. They only look out of place in a lineup filled with bench players - when surrounded by good players they are solid contributers.

8. soren_k

soren_k New Member

Oct 28, 2001
    Exactly.

And there doesn't seem to be too much need to get rid of Griffiths- as long as he doesn't count as an SI we may as well give him another year to see how he develops. There's not too much question that he could be a good player if he refines parts of his game and gets on the same page with the rest of the team.

This could be the first time we have continuity from one season to the next.