Shooting

Discussion in 'Player' started by doctor_mooch, Dec 4, 2010.

1. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    My question is, how do u keep your shots low and hard? Not as much as the ones that roll along the ground, but the ones that stay under the bar and above hip height. whenever i try to power a shot, it goes way over. I know the basic rule is to lean over the ball, but are their any other tips out there? What about leaning even farther sideways? I've tried that on occasions and sometimes it keeps it under the crossbar, but i want to be able to get it consistently under the crossbar, but above hip height. Any tips?

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. Practice striking the ball at or above it's "equator"
    2. Plant foot (toe placement). The toe of your plant foot should be beyond the ball, 1-3 inches, depending on how high you want it to go (and other things).
    3. Plant foot (distance from ball). The further away the plant foot is from the ball, the more likely you are to get underneath the equator and give it lift. This is how goalkeepers are taught to get distance in their goal kicks. Move your plant foot closer to the ball.
    4. Land on your kicking foot.

Just do repetitions without the ball at first to get the motion down.

3. doctor_mooch

doctor_mooch Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    i think one of my problems is that my foot is too far behind the ball, maybe if i place it farther infront it will work. thanks! anyone else have some tips?

4. BillyGates

BillyGates Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. laure23

laure23 Member

Jun 30, 2010
    You're talking about your non-kicking foot, right? As ele stated plant your non-kicking foot closer to the goal.

The ball tends to hit the ground if your non-kicking foot is too far forward. Drag it too far back and you'll most likely hit some leaves on a tree . You should find a good balance in between those two positions.

6. constructor

constructor Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Out in the sticks
    Just leave the 9 iron and wedge at home. As a ref and former player, I see this lots of times where a player has worked very hard to get into a good shooting position only to miskick the ball and send it over the bar. The coach calls out "unlucky" but, to use the golf analogy, the player kicked from under the ball (for whatever reason), or the kick was an inside/outside arc, or (worse yet) properly struck but aimed at the keeper.

This is a hard skill to master, but there are lots of good instructional videos out there. Get one and practice, practice, practice.

7. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had a problem lately hitting my shots right at the keeper. From good spots on the field too, where I should be simply slotting them in a corner. It's like a mental block I seem to be struggling with.

8. whufc_tom

whufc_tom New Member

Oct 10, 2009
    England
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like anything else it's just practice and more practice. With your case though, alot of the time it's how your body is positioned. Try opening your body up more. (If you haven't already that is) So depending on where your aiming try to face that corner. If your right footed and aiming at the left corners then get your body over the the right side of the ball. And at the right corners it's just the other way around. The problem is not making it obvious where your going to shoot. But look up before you shoot and then just keep your eyes on the ball so it doesn't look too obvious. If your shot is accurate and powerfull you won't need to do that.

Hope that helps but it's just practice and you should find a technique that suits you.

9. HouseHead78

HouseHead78 Member+

Oct 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks - I think this is the problem. I'm ok in non-pressure situations (finishing drills), but in a scrimmage or game situation, I seem to revert to blasting the ball right at the keeper. I think I'm scared of missing the frame completely, so I aim for the middle instinctively. I'm gonna keep working on it.

10. Ninel

Ninel New Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well ive noticed people putting the ball way over too. What i do is. To get the ball low, first of all your non kicking foot got to be close to the ball. if its too far away, the ball will most likely roll on the ground at a slow pace. if its too close, you will disbalance yourself and kick it over. Thats part of it. The key for ME is kicking with my shoe laces... i just dont tap the ball i basically hit Through it, no curve no thing just straight ahead. You have to be Over the ball to keep it low then add a little jump at the end(land on your kicking foot) to give it EVEN more power.

11. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    What part of your foot are you striking the ball with? Where are you striking the ball? Is there spin on the ball? If so, which way? Can you describe the motion your kicking leg makes, during the "wind-up phase", before the strike and after the strike? Particularly the shape your leg and thigh make.