Shoes for futsal refereeing?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RefIADad, Jan 14, 2019.

1. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I got such good feedback when I asked about shoes for refereeing outdoor/turf, I'll now ask about what those of you who referee futsal wear on the court. My town is ramping up futsal leagues and tournaments with a new multi-court complex recently built close to where I live, and I will work a number of games. I'm friends with a lot of basketball referees, and many of them wear either the Reebok shoes with the Zig "cutout" outsole or New Balance shoes. I'm sure indoor/futsal shoes are an option, but they would pose many of the same issues that wearing soccer cleats pose in the full-field game.

2. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I alternate between "proper" futsal shoes and running shoes with a bit of ankle support (but not full on basketball shoes, because they're way too heavy).

As long as you have some grip for the pitch, and a bit of cushion in the sole, that's all you really need.

3. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I use either Adidas Supernovas running shoes or my NB training shoes. I wear the supernovas when I have a lot of futsal games and they are on hard surface, ie concrete. I wear the NB for all other games. Additionally I alternated every 2nd game. Just find some shoes that can take the pounding and are comfortable for you.

4. Dayton Ref

Dayton Ref Member+

May 3, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I will say that when it comes to NB shoes, there is a wide variety that you many need to try a few to find a pair that fits your foot well. I'm lucky that my running club has a running store & shoe rep out about once a month and they bring a set of demo shoes to be tried on (usually NB). I tried 3 pairs before I got a pair (1080) that help keep me centered, fit to my foot well, and have the right kind of grip.

As a side note, I'm sure I looked crazy doing my shoe testing because I'd do intervals except my 'walking' was usually side stepping or moving backwards.

5. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also have the 1080's and they are great for track. However they are a bit on a narrow side for me plus they lack the cushioning that is needed for concrete. I prefer the Fresh Foam Zante for futsal.

6. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I went with two different types of shoes.

Reebok ZigWild TR 5.0 - These are very similar to the shoes I see a lot of my basketball referee friends wear. They feel much lighter than they look because of the sole design.

On-Running Cloud - I wasn't sure how I'd like these since they seemed really light. However, I have done a fair amount of indoor running at my local YMCA with these and I really like them. They have much more cushioning than what appears on first glance.

I had much less trouble with my feet this fall and winter when I rotated different shoes for full-field games (Speedcross shoes and Rockadias). I'm hoping this rotation works as well on the court.

IASocFan repped this.
  7. fischietto

fischietto Member

Apr 13, 2018
    Please report back on the ON running shoe. I tried them on in the store, and they look really nice, but I didn’t spring for them yet because of the price. Let me know your thoughts after a few games ... and how they hold up after a long day.

RefIADad repped this.
  8. RefIADad

RefIADad Member+

United States
    Aug 18, 2017
    Des Moines, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will do. I may try the ONs for a turf indoor game as well. I haven't seen a high school basketball referee wear them yet. I normally like wearing heavier shoes with more support like Brooks Adrenaline GTS shoes. These ONs have been a really pleasant surprise.