Shoddy Reporting at Wash. Times: (Formerly "Times blames Zack; Ray blames the fans")

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Times blames Zack; Ray blames the fans

Here's the link. Based on this, and some of the comments Zack has made here on BS, there seems to be some bad blood between Zack and the Times.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/sports/20020728-85303534.htm

And check out this little ditty from Ray. Man, does this guy have a brass pair. His team couldn't score in a whorehouse and he's taking out the paying fans. $hit, the way the team is playing, he AND Zack ought to be appologizing to the fans!

"We don't have any home-field advantage," Hudson said. "Home-field advantage? The Screaming Eagles the Barra Brava, all the wonderful fans we've got, they've got to be putting their hands up. Maybe we should just tell them to be quiet. Let's not have a great atmosphere. Let's not get everybody behind your team and screaming blue murder for your colors. Let's not do that. Let's play it in a [expletive] monastery."

2. Magikfute

Magikfute Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I thought Ray meant the officiating was bad when he said that. I think he's saying something to the effect of "we have a great crowd and still don't get any calls, so we may as well be playing in a monastary".

3. RoHo

RoHo New Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I think you may have misunderstood his quote. I think he was saying that the fans WERE really loud and supportive but that the team didn't live up to it. Basically, that the effort by the fans was wasted and he's surprised that we (the fans) didn't just throw up our hands and say that we give up.

4. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Ken Wright is an idiot. He completely missed on another quote in one of his articles.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -I agree, Sandon, you are not reading his quote right. He is looking for an atmosphere like Saprissa, Costa Rica, where ref's are intimdated into calling game where the home side gets the benefit of the doubt. Since we don't seem to get these calls he was exagerating about playing in a silent stadium, since the crowds has very little effect. The players pickup their level of play but right now teams and officals have no fear of RFK.

-Did Ken go to the same game we did?? Did he miss all the handballs???? Like the one Heaps used to settle the ball before his goal. Did he go to journalism school??? It seems he is often taking quotes and twisting them to fit his article. Maybe he should go back to basics. For right now Ken just give the score, attendance, and the time a date of the next game, until you can handle this writting gig.

6. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Bags of urine and some knives should turn this problem around.

Oh wait, and we all thought bringing in Eliseo was about an attendence bump.

;)

7. bofahey

bofahey Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Washington, DC
    This article is libelous... as Diceson's transcript of the whole quote CLEARLY indicates, Ray was actually saying that he doesn't understand why we get no calls despite having such a loud crowd.

Ken Wright should be banned from RFK. His cheap-shot at Stephen Zack after blatantly misquoting him earlier in the week is pathetic.

I'd like to nail him with a urine bag.

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    OK, my bad. Totally, my bad. I just read Diceson's stuff and got to read the question that preceded Ray's quote on the fans and the whole quote.

Having read the entire context, it's pretty obvious the quote was misconstrued in the Times, which is pretty irresponsible and unfair.

Maybe the guy made an honest mistake but it sure seems like he was using that quote to fit into an agenda.

I basically only read the Times because of their soccer coverage - they had a great piece on Benny yesterday - but if it's gonna be misleading like this, I'm not gonna bother.

Again, my bad and I'm sincerely sorry for lashing out at Ray after reading only the part of the quote that was in the Times.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You should go for it. After all he'd probably just blame Kevin Payne, or maybe even Phil Anshutz.

10. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I, too, just read Diceson's quotes and I don't see how anyone could accidentally misunderstand what Hudson was trying to say.

Wright clearly misrepresented Ray's meaning in the Times article. This is too bad because Ray's support among fans is starting to teeter and it would be a shame to have casual fans turned against Ray over something he didn't say.

11. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ken Wright=Cheap shot artist.

12. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Based on my reading of the Wright article and the complete transcript as it exists on Diceon's site, I would have to disagree with you CHICO13.

I think you're giving Wright too much credit. A "cheap shot artist" can think. I don't believe Wright is even intellectually capable of this. I think he's just a moron who can't even understand the concept of sarcasm that Hudson was so cleary using in that statement about the fans.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree with you 100%, I was refering to the shot he took at Steve Zack in his opening paragraph.

14. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    My take is Ray was saying the fans were great. He's frustrated United didn't use that incredible fan support to win games. He's just identifying w/the frustration of the fans-to have them cheer so hard for his team and have his team lose in front of them hurts Ray

Just sarcasm from Ray, that's all

15. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Taking cheap shots in articles that are supposed to be news is just unprofessional

The first sentence about the game should not be about Stephen Zack-talking about him getting $$ and watching his team fall into last place is mean-spirited

Wright is usually a good writer. This is very unfortunate I've lost some respect for him

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  17. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until recently, I've enjoyed Wright's coverage/articles on soccer in general and DC United in particular. Now this particular article starts with : 1) a personal attack against SZ & later, 2) a blatant misquote against RH. If this article is not followed by an immediate retraction, he should have his press credentials revoked by DC United. I have lost A LOT of respect for him.

Winoman

18. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Mr. Ken Wright,

An apology is in order.

19. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Wright's coverage has been going downhill all year... remember earlier when he said the team was going to trade Convey?
    This is just the step over the edge. He reads these boards, its where he gets his material. Everyone should tell him how much his writing has sucked this year.

I think I've read enough of him, no more reading his articles, I don't want to give him the hits.

20. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Dear Ken Wright,

You couldn't carry me.

Sincerely,

Steven Goff's Jock

21. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Sachin,

What's up with the distressed DC United avatar?

22. Kenobi

Kenobi Member

Jul 11, 1999
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sachin, you have it mounted upside down. All the luck is running out!

23. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Who want's to bet a fiver on the fact that the poster bullfrog will weigh in on this thread in the next 24 hours?

I know some of you will get what I am talking about..

PM for details if interested...

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    It's because I was talked out changing my avatar to a Metrostar logo.

And any luck that's running out is bad luck at this point.

We suck-diddly-*********. At this point, even Hernandez, Branco and Mattheus would be an improvement over Lazo-frickin-Alavanja, Ican't McKinley and Last-Sitter.

Sachin

25. bullfrog

bullfrog New Member

Oct 22, 1999
    There's nothing more to say, other than let's hope John Hayden will be taking over soon.