Shock relegation candidates

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Doctor Stamen, Jul 27, 2002.

1. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    I never said he wasn't one of the league's tope GK's last year. I'm just not sold on him still and I don't know if I ever will be.

Would I be surprised if Brad stands out again for Rovers this year? No. But at the same time, would I be surprised to see him struggle a bit? No. And if he does struggle a bit and the offense isn't scoring goals, especially Yorke and Cole (and Duff, if he stays), then those struggles will be magnified.

This year could either see the return of Blackburn as a title contender in the near future (especially if they can keep Duff, that would send a mention to the rest of the EPL that they're not going anywhere), or a consistent relegation threatened team.

2. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Friedel won us the Worthington Cup, and stopped a lot of goals. He did let a lot in, but then we do have an iffy defence. Maybe that will change when Todd starts kicking people, and we get that Gershon.

No-one has mentioned the influence Matt Jansen may have. Although he's out of the first few games, if he can come in match fit, his skills and link-up play with Duff (if he stays) and Cole will rip up a lot of defences.

I think Spurs are dodgy, especially now two of their better players are injured.

3. denalimn

denalimn New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Minnesota
    I agree. I think Spurs are vastly overrated and really in disarray as the season starts. Hoddle will implode if they struggle. And I would leove every minute.

Am surprised no one has mentioned Birmingham City as a candidate for the drop. Not very impressed with their manager's loyalty to the team -- once an open position comes up, will he bolt like he bolted from Palace? Not sure if Clinton Morrison can replicate his scoring touch against premiership clubs.

4. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

sunderland...talant...lol...i have been laughing for a good 5 minutes of that.......great joke mate

5. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Am I missing something, or could you pass the spliff my way, please? If Sunderland have any talent, mind telling us exactly where they've been hiding it lately.

And if their team is bad and needs changes, then how come it has "that much talent".

The pen moves before the mind is engaged, methinks.

6. Boro_lad

Boro_lad New Member

hahahaha the dirty mackhams...going down this year.

7. I'm noticing that people are straying away from Bolton being in a relegation battle. I believe that they will be in over their heads this season. I'm not saying that Bolton will be relegated but i'm saying that they're gonna find it very hard to chalk up victories in the Prem. I like their new signings but i'm still not convinced. The second year is always the toughest.
    (Survive but in 03-04, Ipswich will get payback and do them in for relegation)

It's way too easy to say that West Bromwich Albion will be relegated. Obviously they'll struggle against every squad in the Premiership but if they can put solid defensive efforts together in every match, they can get a lot of scrappy one goal victories. One thing that I was impressed with last year in the First Division was the fact that they were the strongest defensively. Teams found it hard to break them down. A lot of unpretty 1-0 victories resulted but they got the results that they need.

(Relegated, the difference in class is overwhelming.)

Other than that i'd have to say that Birmingham City will be relegated. I just don't see Clinton Morrison and/or Stern John scoring in bunches like in the nationwide. West Ham United will also be relegated. Hammertime not, they're goin' down!

p.s. Tottenham must get their ************ together, we could be in for a shock relegation campaign if not.

8. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Bolton, Southampton, WBA/Birmingham City

Totally agree on the Bolton choice, they would have been down last year had it not been for some amazing performances by Jaaskelainen, Ricketts and Nolan. The rest of the team is pants and would have trouble avoiding relegation in Division One.

I think the Saints have layed with fire for too long and won't be able to put enough goals in this season.

One of the new boys will go back and I doubt it will be Man City. Its a toss up to me between the other two so I will just leave it at that.

9. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    Danielle Dichio left last season ;). Obviously having crap like Reyna has dragged them down :D.

My God the Mackems are going down, even though they're going to start the season with a win against Blackburn.

10. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I agree. Sunderland are crap and they know it. They whine on about lack of funds, sacking the manager and pretty much everything else. They massively over-achieved in their first 2 years in the EPL and returned to the position their squad reflects last year ie. relegation candidates. The board must have deep pockets and short arms as their attendance is superb but not everyone is in the rich boy club. They need to invest in their youth program. Take a page out of West Ham's book.

You're off the mark with Bolton though. Class team, good manager, great team spirit. I loved it when they beat Man U at Old Trafford and the fans started singing "Can we play you every week?" Genius. Okacha, Tofting and Djorkaeff would get into most of the mid-table squads. Of course when Big Sam moves on to Spurs or Villa it will be a different matter entirely.

11. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Bolton
    2. WBA
    3. Fulham (where that "jerk" coaches)

12. dcaddick

dcaddick New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    On the Bandwagon
    Give it up for the smartest Palace supporter ever. :)

Now if you could tell us how to get a finisher, then you'd be king!

Okay first off, never mention Cleveland Cavaliers and Charlton in the same sentence. No comparison between the two, and I follow both. addicks more now, Cavaliers earlier. The club can't do a whole lot with moves. Ususally halfway through the season we try and find a spark, but Charlton has had a ton of injuries, that really started when they returned a couple years back. Last year they did finish 14th, but the year before they finished 9th, so it was a little slip. Seaon tickets are up this season, something the Cavs will never experience, ever.

Anyway, I think the all:sports will be right around 10th. You're right,we haven't addressed our need at forward, which will hurt us later in the year when our defense falls apart.

13. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do I detect a bitter tractor fan?

yes :D

14. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Bolton, Southampton, WBA/Birmingham City

Our left back, Simon Charlton, was voted Bolton's player of the season. Gudni Bergsson and Bruno N'Gotty were solid at the back too. Djorkaeff contributed a lot to our survival, as did one Freddi Bobic. To suggest that Bolton's team of last season minus Ricketts, Nolan and Jaaskelainen would have been relegated from division one shows nothing but sheer ignorance. It was pretty much that team that got us promoted from division one the season before.

Bolton's problem last year was Micheal Rickett's servere drop in form and some of the older players struggling in the latter stages of the season.

With our signings this year we should be able to sit comfortably in midtable.

15. glorygloryspurs

glorygloryspurs New Member

Jul 18, 2002
    bronx ny

1. sheringham, rebrov, iverson and sherwood make this too good of a team to get relegated. i know we won't light the world on fire, but this team won't finish worse than 12th. try putting birmingham on that list - way over their heads with the big boys

16. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Quinn and Philips are just flash in the pan players, I guess. Add midfielders like Reyna, McAteer, Arca, Kilbane and McCann and I guess you see not one talented player in the bunch. Chemistry, teamwork, tactics and coaching win games too, mate. Look at the LA Lakers under Dell Harris. Couldnt win playoff games let alone a championship, enter Phil Jackson and they win 3 in a row. Mind was engaged just fine maybe its that look down your nose attitude that needs adjusting.

17. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    OK, here's the acid test. Which of those players would you be excited about signing for your club. Only Philips and I'll bet he's tired of the carrying the team.

18. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    Rebrov doesn't play. Iverson is bound to miss half the season through injury. You cannot seriously expect a full season all guns firing from Sheringham (who I doubt even thinks that he can deliver that at his age) and Sherwood is as likely as not already on his way out. Spurs have an awful lot of problems, starting at the top (ownership), getting more serious in the middle (Hoddle and Pleat's disintegrating relationship) and culminating on the pitch (where the good young players want to leave, and the experienced players spend their lives on the treatment table). I've got nothing against Spurs, but this year does not look like it's going to be a rose one.