Shirt Swapping

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by matthewowen10, Oct 21, 2003.

1. matthewowen10

matthewowen10 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Out of curiosity, when does shirt swapping take place? It isn't every game, so during which games do teams swap shirts? Any one know the history behind this? Thanks in advance.

2. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've seen it like in international games both at club level and NT, usually at the end of the first half or second half.

3. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
  4. MightyBees

MightyBees New Member

Aug 16, 2003
    London, England
    i was watching the spanish La Liga the other day- i think Barcelona where playing someone-
    and they actually swapped shirts at half-time!
    This is the honest truth! i couldnt believe what i was seeing!
    they've actually replayed it on sky sports a few times juts because no one could believe it!

5. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    End of the first?
    You sure?

6. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes I've seen it several times, end of the first half.

7. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he was wearing the Argentinian shirt? wow, cool stuff.

8. ThrashBoy

ThrashBoy New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I don't know if it's common in Brasil, but at the game I went to in Santos (Santos vs. Atletico-Mineiro), some of the players swapped at halftime (not all).

9. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i guess maczebus is the only one who hasen't seen it...

10. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
    It happens mainly in international games(clubs and National Teams).
    Is is very rare in Spanish League games,and when it happens in domestic games,only some players swap the shirts(usually,some young player asking a big star like Zidane or Ronaldo to swap their shirts).
    It is also very rare seeing a shirt swapping at halftime.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Well, probably not the only one but I'll freely admit that in my 1/4 century on this planet, I have never seen people swapping shirts at half time.

I guess the first question must be....why?
    Unless it's an exhibition game when everyone gets substituted at half time - I cannot fathom out a situation where shirt swapping at half-time would be appropriate.
    Maybe I haven't seen enough mickey mouse football played.

12. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You're calling Brazilian soccer mickey mouse soccer, and people even said that in Spain they do it too, and I saw a game on TV from Argentina where they did it too...oh ok, just because you haven't seen it, you immediately call it mickey mouse soccer.

13. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Damarcus swapped shirts with a guy from the Crew after the match a few weeks back. I think this is the first time Ive seen it in MLS, at least at a game that I was at.

14. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Oh do shut up and stop being so indignant.

Ok, so it's apparently happened in Brazil and it's happened in Spain.
    1) Not that bloody often.
    AND
    2) More importantly..you still haven't given a reason as to why it happened at half-time. Things like this just don't happen in meaningful matches. How the hell do they work it? What happens in the second half? They have to swap them back for the next 45 minutes?

By definition it must have been a mickey-mouse game. If it's an important match, people don't piss around swapping shirts when there's another 45 minutes to play.
    Again I ask - why, on God's good green earth, would they change shirts at half time??

No-one's giving me answers - merely trying to reinforce the 'evidence' given that it has happened, by repeating it.

Give me an example of it happening in a vaguely important match and I'll accept everything you say about it.

15. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes they ask for them back before the 2nd half begins cause clubs/NTs are too poor to have more than one per player....

16. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    So, you can't actually help solve this conundrum, so you add attempted facetiousness. Great.

Ok, work with me here.
    The whistle goes at halftime, the players trudge off to the dressing rooms - yet some of them exchange shirts.
    Why? Had the opposing players been that impressed that they couldn't wait until the end of the match?
    Or do these shirt-swapping payers know they are coming off at half-time and as such want to get their hands on the opposing teams shirt while they have the chance?

I think I've seen the problem here. You contrue it happening in Brazil sometime and hearing of it happening in Spain once, as worthy of discussion.
    it is still my assertion that players do not change their shirts at halftime. Certainly it might have happened in the past. But then it's rained herring in Poland in the past - it doesn't make it a constant probability - such was the implication by your original statement.

A better statement might be:
    "Players exchange shirts occasionally after 'big' games - and there have been a few occasions when they have been exchanged after the first half"

However, if you still think it goes on the world over, then we have reached something of an impasse.
    I still have to hear something that dissuades me from thinking that swapping shirts at half-time is devoid of all logic. I can't be the only person that doesn't see the sense in it and because of that I'm inclined to think it does not happen even half as much as I'm being led to believe.

Wide-ranging and numerous examples please.

17. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've seen (in the game from Argentina) the players that exchange shirts after the first half is usually cause they had their own battle during the first half, you know like a really good defender and a really good forward. And talking about examples, I saw it during Copa Toyota Libertadores between D. Independiente Medellin(Colombia) and Santos (Brasil) in the semifinal games.