Shirt sponsors OK, but...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Delta Blues, May 12, 2007.

1. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Two of the four MLS shirt sponsors are for pyramid schemes. Xango for RSL and Herbalife in L.A.. Maybe we could get Nikken, Amway, Melaleuca and all the other pyramid schemes (oops, excuse me, MLM's) to sponsor the league? I really thought MLS would at least filter companies with such putrid reputations and shaky legal status from being sponsors on the uniforms of the league. I guess money is money, but really...

2. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This is all I read.

3. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    That's extremely sad. I guess it is the mantra of this generation of me, me, me, gimme, gimme, gimme. Unfortunately where and how you receive money and power does matter.

4. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to elaborate?

5. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Yes, more and more people seem to suffer from ADHD these days.

6. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

No it doesn't. Not from reading everyone's opinions about the matter.

I don't think shirt sponsors belong in MLS in the first place. I've always said there were problems with it. Now we have them, and now people are complaining about the problems.

Some things never change. The problem is they're the wrong things.

And remember that you did concede that money is money. Now's not the time to go back on it.

7. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather have Herbalife than Exxon-Mobile or Chevron, speaking of shady-ass companies with questionable legal standing.

8. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA
    it does seem a bit "odd" that the league allows questionable pyramid scheme companies but hard liquor is verboeten.

I want the Fire sponsored by T Com (for the Bayern fan in me) or Jaegermeister (for the drunk in me, plus I want a deer head on our shirts :p)

9. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't believe they are pyramid schemes. Pyramid scheme is illegal, but multi-level-marketing is legal. Xango and Herbalife are multi-level-marketing companies. They are legal and nothing's wrong with it.

What's questionable? They are legal and nothing's wrong with multi-level-marketing.

10. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Once you let the genie outta bottle, nobody is going to be happy about a particular sponsor. If its Herbalife, it's gonna get called a pyramid scheme. If they allow beer companies, then we will get complaints about promoting alcoholism. And on and on. Herbalife and Xango are legitimate businesses.

11. TFC4LIFE

TFC4LIFE New Member

May 12, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Pyramid scheme or not.. They're funding MLS.. Fans and consumers aren't forced to buy their product.. Every single company out there deals in some shady areas..

From Apple and their CEO of Jobs taking a $1 salary but then taking backdated options worth millions/billions (along with the 15% tax bracket)..

To Nike and their measly wages, to Gas companies and their effect on the environment..

Money is money.. Either way, they pay MLS.. its your choice whether you want to show them love by buying their products.. We're all smart people.. we don't need someone to "filter" sponsors for us.. Those who aren't were destined to be stupid people in the first place and will get fleeced by someone else.. Don't adjust policy just for the stupid minority..

12. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    What does it say about MLS team names when alleged pyramid schemes look better on the fron of the shirt than the real names? (Xango is better than Real Salt Lake)

13. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nothing.

Xango is not pyramid scheme.

14. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    That is why I said alleged.

Anyway so far I like the sponsors on the shirts better than the team names.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

If I "allege" that you beat up small children and puppies with a baseball bat, what does that say about you?

Not that it's probably true, but we're going with your logic for the moment.

16. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Is that so?

17. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife was once in charge of health insurance enrollment for a university. An insurance company would send offers to foreign graduate students and got them to sign up for its insurance. The problem was the coverage was so pitiful that these students then still had to sign up for the university's health plan. So these poor foreign students had to pay twice for health insurance.

The name of that insurance company: AIG.

18. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Principal sponsor of Manchester United.

(in case no one's paying attention)

19. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

well there are several people on BS claiming that Xango is a pyriamid scheme, I am assuming they have reason for this claim. To allege I beat up small children based on absolutely nothing whatsoever is not a proper comparison.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

And puppies too. That's what I'm alleging.

And if I put my mind to it, I can get several BS posters to agree. Ah, the power of online bulletin boards.

I trust my point has gotten across.

21. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

I trust that you are good at making false comparisons.

People allege that Barry Bonds use steroids based on things they know or think they know about the situation. Same with Xango.

You alleging I beat up little kids and puppies is based on absolutely nothing. So please stop playing this game.

22. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Or what? This should be fun, I'm just dying to have you come at me with your baseball bat.

Your backup is "because other people on BS said so." Anyone can meet that very low standard if they work hard enough. My God, if this place is your primary source for information, you have serious problems.

So please stop begging that I stop poking holes in your credibility.

23. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Funny I put "pyriamid scheme and Xango" into google and tons of sites come up. Including watchdog agencies.

I put my name and "beat up kids" into google and zero sites came up.

Looks like Google thinks I have more credibility than you.

24. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Doesn't matter what some people on internet say or what pop up on google.

Important thing is the fact of the matter.

1. Pyriamid scheme is illegal.
    2. Xango is not Pyriamid scheme.
    3. Xango is a legit business.

If you or somebody else on internet can prove otherwise, provide us the evidence and facts, and then report it to FBI and Department of Commerce as well.

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Multi-level Marketing <> Pyramid Scheme.

Lots of people seem to simply conflagate the two without any regards as to the actual sructure of companies. I have no idea with any personal certainty that XanGo isn't a Ponzi Scheme, but I know that the US government has investigated them and found that they are operating legally. That should be good enough for people, but some folks just enjoying complaining.

Avon is a MLM company, for Pete's sake -- are they illegal?