Shinguards

Discussion in 'Referee' started by KeeperKid18, Oct 17, 2003.

1. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    I know the basic requirements of shinguards(being a ref),but recently before games, I have had a few refs tell me I have to lower my shinguards because they were being worn more than 2 inches above the ankle. Is this really a rule? If so, was it instituted recently?

2. Scott Zawadzki

Feb 18, 1999
    Midlothian, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe that the 2 inch directive is new for HIGH SCHOOL this year.

Scott

3. BentwoodBlue

BentwoodBlue New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Dela-where?
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed it is.
    I am a member of the shinguard riech this year.
    It is such fun. Joy. Please kill me.

4. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    That makes sense since I think all of those times were at high school games, not club games.

Personally, I think it is a stupid rule, and as long as they meet the other requirements and "provide a reasonable degree of protection," then it should be your choice how you wish to wear them.

5. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    NFHS found the requirement necessary for legal purposes. Try defining a "reasonable amount of protection" in a courtroom :)

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This rule does make perfect sense. Think about how a player could get injured because in a defenders attempt at a sweeping tackle he cleated or kicked the offensive player above the tongue of the cleat and below the shin guard. I know it really hurts and it's difficult to walk much less run afterwards. Legal liability in our society is no joke!

7. KeeperKid18

KeeperKid18 New Member

May 3, 2003
    NJ
    I know. I had it happen to me in practice recently, but it was my choice to wear them that way, so I wasn't angry. Just very sore, with a cut from the cleat and sitting on the ground for 10 minutes.

8. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My son is 6'3" with very long legs, so it is virtually impossible to have shin guard cover more than about 50% to 60% of the shin -- which leaves a good 6 to 8 inches exposed. He has always preferred to wear them shoved way down like Lauren Blanc always has done.

For a couple years now, he is constantly having referees make him move his shin guards up to the midpoint on his calf so that it leaves 3-4 inches exposed both above and below the guard rather than 2 or less below and 5 to 7 exposed above.

Now this year with this 2 inch rule almost all the guys complain a lot when we tell them to move them down and he hasn't been "hassled" one time this season for wearing them right down where he wants them.

His point was always just what Alberto says -- you RARELY get whacked up high and you frequently get cracked right down around the ankle.