shinguards

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by Chetmonkey4000, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Chetmonkey4000

Chetmonkey4000 New Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    heres just a quick question...would you rather have a shinguard that is lighter with less protection or a heavier, bulkier 1 that offers great protection

i personally like the light shinguards, i use the nike j guards right now, but i also use a pair of osi shinguards against rough teams...what do people here use

2. soccerfan11

soccerfan11 Member

Jan 23, 2001
    Around Boston
    I have Nike OSI's, but I just ordered a pair of Nike Vapor shingaurds from Eurosport.

3. calcioguy9

calcioguy9 New Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Wisconsin, USA
    i have the nike OSi lites, great shinguards.

4. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I like protection myself. Getting guards that fit are more important for speed then weight (within reason of course).

Actually, now that I think about it I havn't gotten hit on the shins for almost a year. But that hit was very serious - if I wore a wimpy guard, I might have broken my leg.

5. Chetmonkey4000

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    ya, i like the guards small because to me, the larger ones get in the way if i am trying to trap a ball from the air and i hit it a little bit up my shin. i usually don't get hit in the shins, but if i do, it hasn't been too painful...haha the other day this ref told a bunch of our players who had osi shinguards that we were not allowed to wear tehm because we needed the entire lower leg covered. I don't think he knew what he was doing.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i have adidas osi guards...

kids sized ones. the perfect size...

smaller the better when it comes to guards.

7. cardbordwarrior

cardbordwarrior New Member

Jul 13, 2002
    i like light and small ones too.i use the 7 inch nike mercurials and there great.

8. zizou9

zizou9 New Member

Sep 28, 2001
    Georgia
    the small ones for sure. i have had several refs tell me they were too small, but I have yet to get hit hard enough were the shinguards caused me to be injured. I have been wearing them for several years now and play alot so it has worked for me and I will continue to wear them.

9. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Looking to try the Nike OSI's...anyone know of a place to buy them online???

Eurosport was sold out of the size I wanted (M)...

10. got courage?

got courage? New Member

Sep 13, 2002
    North Carolina
    I have Nike OSi's, but I got 'em too big and they drive me nuts. Unfortunatly, I'm on a tight budget (as in i have 15 bucks) and can't buy new ones. If I did, I would get OSi's w/o the stupid "extra protection" thingy in the middle and the S instead of the M. I wouldn't get any other kind besides OSi b/c I like the whole molding it to you leg thing.

11. PassionOfTheFoot

Feb 12, 2002
    Incheon, South Korea
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I prefer the smallest and lightest pair I can find. I have noticed that bulky shinguards drastically effect your play on the field, but I can understand where some people would prefer the protection. Shin injuries are serious and very painful.

12. Nate2L

Nate2L New Member

Jul 21, 2001
    PA
    i don't know the kind i have but it has plastic that goes over the actual pad for extra protection. well i don't remember getting hit in them but i must have and hard cuz there is a crack down the plastic almost half way. they seem big and bulkie but when i have them on i can't tell. also i seem to remember being kicked in the ankle more then in the shin this maybe cuz i am a wing defender so sometimes i get kicked when the player followes threw on a shot or cross but that in my opinion hurts more then in the shin they need to work on ankle gaurds that you can't tell your wearing, the pair i got with my shin gaurds are terrible to wear and i have only done it twice cuz it is so uncomfortable.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These days I tend to go for protection first, having already had my left ankle broken twice by vicious tackles and having taken plenty of hard hits in both shins. I currently use Mitre Pro Spectra.

14. cmh1414

cmh1414 New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    I think the OSI company went out of business. I heard Nike and adidas were going to come out with some OSI-like shinguards soon but haven't seen anything. I think the large Nike OSI guards at Eurosport are the only OSI's anywhere.

15. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Thanks for the info. I picked up a pair of Puma Hyodoh guards, a tad bulky but very light and conforms to the leg well...we'll see how they play.

16. Chetmonkey4000

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    i thought that osi was a technology, and not a brand, i have some osi shinguards which are nice, but i like the really small 1s better

17. kc123

kc123 Member

Jun 29, 2002
    osi indeed is a technology, not a brand.

18. StingRay37

StingRay37 Member

Dec 4, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have OSi genisis. I think they are 8 or 9", not sure. They are comfortable, not to bulky at all. I've got a friend that plays forward, and he wears some little 4" crap taped up halfway between his ankle & calf. I told him he was crazy and was going to get his legs broke, but he said he needed more speed.