Shifting Gears - The Axel Tuanzebe Thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, May 8, 2017.

1. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul Hirst from The Times is reporting that Tuanzebe will not be going out on loan. His good performances during preseason have convinced Ole to keep him at the club.
    Good news there.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Get Carrick working with him ASAP so we have another choice that isn't Matic at #6 if McT gets injured.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Played well,. Loved the OT crowd chant too;

Tu-an-zebe diddy dum diddy doo :)

jnielsen and jscott23 repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ball-news/axel-tuanzebe-man-utd-news-16973967

A player I'm definitely more and more excited about: every time he's played with United's senior team (going back to Mourinho's first season), he simply has never disappointed.
    He's that good on the pitch and also has the characteristics we need from a mental point of view (strong character, work ethic and leadership). Very much looking forward to see how he evolves.

7. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only positive thing to come out of the Newcastle game;

jnielsen repped this.
  8. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tuanzebe talking about the team needing to go back to the drawing board is very apropos. May be seen as a gutsy/crazy call in some quarters, but I'd like to see Tuanzebe start at the 6 spot vs Pool. The added defensive cover alone he would provide would make that move worth it IMO.
    If we're lucky enough to get Pogs back, a midfield 3 of Tuanzebe, McTominay (deployed in his natural position as the b2b guy) and Pogba would be pretty intriguing and I feel would match very well against whatever 3 Pool would field on the day.
    If it was to work, it would provide a (temporary at least) solution until we are in a position to make the required changes in midfield.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  11. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Futbol_Head repped this.
  12. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Please please stay fit.

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  13. JayBoy

JayBoy Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Lewisham, S. London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This. Dear God, this

Deadtigers, J'can and benni... repped this.
  14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...-axel-tuanzebe-champions-league-b1193025.html

Hearing him speak post match, he's really the type of player we need not just on the pitch but personality wise as well. It's been mentioned often how the team lacks true alphas and leaders and it's pretty clear he ticks those box handily.
    Having captained United at every level in the Academy he showed again yesterday, both on and off the pitch, that he's got the attributes to be a potential senior team skip in the future as well.
    Really praying to God that he can put his injury issues behind him. Not just for him as he could be destined for big things, but simply because the team (and the defense in particular) needs someone like him bad.

yikchi repped this.
  15. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think it isn't uncommon for athletes like him to have some injury issues at this age. I think Jonny Evans had the same problems, Phil Jones (never recovered) and Chris Smalling too. I think we're going to have to attempt to manage his load better. He needs practice, but maybe we work with him more on the ball.

He's one of just 3 defenders on our books who has the pace to stay with quick attackers, the leaping ability/aerial prowess to win high balls and the tenacity to close down attackers to prevent a shot. The other two are Bailly and Jones and neither of them can stay fit. Even when they are fit, they lack Axel's calm and his positioning/awareness.

Harry is the best ball-progressing defender we have, but Axel has it in him to be at least as good as Victor is. A partnership of Axel and Victor would have pace and be able to progress the ball and would be ok in the air, providing there aren't 2 good aerial threats in the attack.

I hope Axel keeps his place (Rio said he should somewhere) and that we find the best partner for him.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Agreed. I cant really add more to this point.

The last time he got a chance to play, he impressed as well. I hope he can play against Chelsea, but i would understand of he doesnt, coming off a long layoff.

johno repped this.
  17. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Agreed on this. We should ask him if he's up to it and we should plan accordingly. If he's up for it and the medical staff is ok with it, just feed him video and let him do ball work. No contact for him, maybe even light on the conditioning stuff, just let him get his feet under him with a few matches.

One thing I'd like to see is him not going up for corners. That's one way to protect him if we're going to ask him to go again so soon.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  18. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see Tuanzebe in training with the rest of the boys again today.
    upload_2020-12-22_7-28-45.png

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope, not just for his sake but the team's as well, that he can put his injury issues behind him. He's going to be needed, particularly if we don't sign a CB in January.
    He could use some good fortune on his side though.
    upload_2020-12-23_15-6-33.png

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Putting aside the abhorrent nature of the comments made towards him on social media, I'd hope that we are not too quick to dismiss him either. Tuanzebe is a talented player. He's had issues with injuries throughout his career and has been sparred for the most part this season, but we've still hardly seen him in action this term.
    How can any player be expected to perform at an acceptable and consistent level, if he only gets to play once every blue moon? It's well known that the more players get to see action, the more they are settled into a rythmn and the more consistent they'll become.
    Even if he can't get lots of time at CB just yet, Tuanzebe has shown he can play at RB as well, a position where we are starved of any real alternative for AWB, a player who puts in heavy minutes. Why not give him more time there? Looking at our own history in the SAF years, he had a habit of playing guys who eventually would become CBs out as FBs. Brown, O'Shea, Jones, Smalling just to name those guys saw significant time on the flanks, prior to being moved in an inside role (with some continuing on a dual role throughout their careers, like Brown or O'Shea).
    Point is, Tuanzebe needs to play: certainly wouldn't want to send him out on loan but if he's going to be fit and not playing more than he has so far this season, then it should be seen as no surprise if his performances are uneven at best. And it's going to be important in the 2nd half of this season for Ole to dig deeper into the squad and start giving mins/games to more players.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Have no idea about how legitimate this source is. But putting that aside for the moment, this is not a straightforward decision in the least (complicated by the fact that I believe he will be coming into the last year of his current contract in the summer).
    As far as I'm concerned though, I don't want to see him go. He's never had any real/consistent run at the club. And when he did get chances, by and large, he's acquitted himself pretty well. There is one game I recall him being poor (this season) but it still does not come close to outweighing the times he's had solid to excellent displays.
    The other concern is his reliability: despite his history, it's still an unknown at this point, if we're being honest. But unless the club plans on replacing him directly with a worthwhile addition (which is unlikely at this juncture), I'd sooner keep him for the coming season and hope he gets real opportunities to prove his worth with us.
    Can only hope that the club will have the good sense in not selling him, especially when Jones is still in the books...

24. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Sell him with a buy back clause. £7MM doesn’t sound right

jnielsen repped this.
  25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015