Shevchenko?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by NYCONEONTA, Dec 10, 2006.

1. seeds

seeds Member

Apr 23, 2002
    NYC
    Re: Shevchenko and MLS

Based on where we are now, that's just reality. And let's not forget that not all 30 year olds are created equally. Don't think anyone would turn their nose up at a Medved or Sheva. But we have hopefully seen the last of the Donadelli's and Lothar's.

2. lakaix15

lakaix15 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    USA

Hey where ever Sheva goes to the mls will benafit it... i hope his american wife wants him to come now or with in the next two years

a striker like that woopie

but him being in LA or Nyc is kind of hard unless mls gets another dp spot to each team

But for Dc getting sheva how many fowards/ attacking midfielders do you need..... your recored isnt showing for it, thats why the saying goes offence wins games, defence wins championships... and when dc won those championships they had a good defence

3. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle

One significant factor, Shevchenko's status in Ukraine, combined with the general level of the Ukrainian national team, probably means that he could continue to get call ups to his national team if he were in MLS.

4. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sheva's wife is American so there's no reason not believe why he wouldn't want to raise his sons in the US and eventualy play in MLS. When it happens I have no idea. Aside from Abromvich one of his reasons for moving to England was so his boys could live in an english speaking country. I'd love to see him sooner than later. I'd say there's a good chance he doesn't return to Chelsea but Milan and reportedly have opened the door for his return.

5. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD

Already thinking like an American.

6. The Liquidator

May 22, 2006
    Tigres UANL---Dynamo
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

being Ukrainian he'll want to play for Dinamo, oooops I mean DY-NAMO

:D

that would make my jersey looks so much cooler if his name was screen printed on the back

7. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle

His season could have been even better if he would have scored more league goals than Carlos Bocanegra.

8. ATLGunner

ATLGunner Member

May 8, 2005
    Atlanta

This is one of the guys who I believe will inevitably end up here...yes inevitably. HOWEVER, there is the question of when. If you get Sheva in the next three years, thats a bonafide star who could still rival anyone (Don't take this year to heart too much). If you get him when he's 35-36, he still helps the league. But it's not such a fantastic step.And for those who complain about a league of thirty year olds....if each team has one aging star, that is not at all a league of geriatrics. But more importantly, we have to take this first step. As time goes on, theyll get a little younger and a little younger. But they have to be here at some point to raise the name of the league....

9. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

With his movie reviews he'd be a natural for LA ;)

10. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lmao!

i could see him benefiting the rapids too(money aside)

11. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Shawn Medved proved his value when he started DC United's comeback in '96...

As for Shevchenko's national team prospects, should he come to MLS... at least once or twice Ukraine national team coaches talked about bringing in Dema Kovalenko for a look before he actually went and played a season over there.

12. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

The French National team this summer proved that guys in their early to mid-30's aren't washed up.

What happens is that they take longer to heal from injuries and they can't take the 55+ games/year playing on a major club w/ CL, nats, domestic cups, domestic tournaments, etc.

But those guys can easily go 35+ games/year and still be prolific.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004

The notion of "assists" came to that part of the world from hockey, which means the NHL => Soviet hockey in the early 70's => Soviet soccer in the mid 70's.

PS. Sheva had already played for Dinamo.

14. captsapp

captsapp New Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Albany, GA

Man, how I wish this would happen. Sheva is definitely my favorite player. I would cry, I would be so happy. It's just that i would like him to play here before he's washed up - which may be too late!

15. mrecint

mrecint New Member

May 31, 2006
    Fishers, IN
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Don't forget the interview his teamate Drogba said about a possiblilty of future US playing on ESPN soccernet..
    The question was asked and he didn't say it wasnt' an option. He smiled and said he's been to Miami, LA, Seattle and liked them.

I think a lot of players over seas are just eyeing to see what the MLS will turn out to be in a few years... I think a lot of Europeans have the goal of Champions League in mind, but after that is won...why not come to the US? It's a great place to live and experience. Only problem is that the season is in summer. Conflicts with national team play and World Cups

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seems like a natural for Chicago. They used to have a lock on all the Eastern Block players and when the lose there current coach may try again. BTW, once talked to Sergi Daniv, an old Burn player, and he played with or against Scheva before he escaped form what is now Ukraine but was the USSR.

17. united6953

united6953 New Member

Jun 17, 2006

If anything he will want to play in one of the LA team's , he and his wife own a house in LA. He seem to really like the Hollywood life style.

18. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    Club:
    Seattle

Hey - I just read that Shevchenko now has two sons! Time to call them up and get them cap tied. Not sure where the 6-month old can play though, as he's probably not walking. Does anyone know if U-1 appearances cap tie a player?

And he and his wife communicate in Italian? That's got to be weird.

19. Indytrojan

Indytrojan Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

the two criteria i think should be applied to each and every DP is:

does this player a) improve the quaility of play on the field.
    b) raise the profile of the league and increase attendance

I dont think age should matter to any of .Just like if your favorite baseball team got a 35 yr. old slugger or closer from Japan and he played at a high level for a couple of years and helped you win and fill the seats....Id take that in a minute.....it doesnt seem like players stay with the same teams anyomre for long periods of time anyway.

20. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hmmm...Dimano, Dynamo, Dimano, Dynamo... :D

H-Town baby! We got da DP! We got da bling bling! Hell yeah, yo! Shevchenko can come to the Land of the Screwed and Chopped while making it rain in Ukraine anyday, yo! LOL

Seriously, if he ever did come to an MLS team within the next 12-18 months, it'd be MASSIVE for American club soccer

21. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil

Bocanegra 5
    Shevchenko 4

Garber, make this happen*

* Bocanegra back to MLS! :D

22. SFHS

SFHS New Member

May 3, 2007

Isn't this old news? I could SWEAR that I've heard him comment similarly on the mls in the past, with another specific reference to moving to new york

Regardless, I would LOVE to see this happen. With all due respect, the MLS -definitely- needs something to inject a bit of life into the play.

23. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA

I would love to see Sheva here. Mostly cuz I have the feeling he was turning a corner and is primed for a big season next year in England. In which case he'd probably stay there til he was past his prime to make a big impact here.

Most likely destinations for "ethnic marketing" purposes have to be Chicago and LA. Both (LA especially) have good sized *recent* (a key element they don't take into account enough) Ukrainian contingents. I'm not a fan of this kind of thing, but MLS seems to love it so there ya go....

24. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

1) People would come see Shevchenko regardless of ethnicity. He's a class, attacking player.

2) The "ethnic marketing" numbers don't work out.

There are fewer than 1 million Ukranian-Americans in the US. For comparison's sake, there more Polish-Americans in Illinois alone.

I think we both agree, though, that ethnic marketing is not the primary way of signing internationals. If it syncs up (as it might with Blanco, his Mexican heritage, and Chicago's population), great, but if not, people either don't show (Hong Myung Bo in LA) or leave once the player does (Diaz Arce in DC.)

25. MannyMayhem

MannyMayhem New Member

Aug 4, 2006
    Studio City, CA

I agree people would (should) come out to see Sheva no matter what. Then again, I though people would come out to see Angel but apparently NY proved us all wrong on that.

Oh yeah, I think the ethnic marketing thing is a waste of time. LA used to try it and abandoned it. It should be about good players not their ethnicity. But I don't see MLS abandoning their love of the policy anytime soon.

Oh no doubt there aren't many Ukrainians but LA and Chicago do have a good size population of them all things considered, that's the only reason why I mentioned those two cause I know MLS and many fans would bang that drum, though as we both agree, it's too hit or miss of a policy to live and die by as it usually only gets that bump while the player is there then they leave.

MLS should worry about making the overall quality great no matter where people are from to convert the unconverted. Sheva could do that as he is class.