Sheryl Swoopes says she's a lesbian, says some interesting things

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by superdave, Oct 26, 2005.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/basketball/nba/10/26/swoopes.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Here's what I found interesting.

my emphasis

I think her comment about her not believing she was born lesbian is really interesting. I wonder how the gay community will react to her. On the one hand, she's elegant and fairly attractive and, when I've heard her, articulate, so she would make a good spokesperson. OTOH, she really is being heterodoxical by, apparently, saying she converted to lesbianism 10-15 years after she began developing a sexual identity.

I mean, "didn't always know I was gay," I can understand. IIRC, she's a small town girl, so she probably had no role models of any kind for understanding her sexuality if she was attracted to women. While alot of gay people remember being different when they were 6 years old and stuff, some remember being confused as teens.

But I'm really curious to see how she (I wish I could think of a better way to phrase this) became a lesbian. I'm no expert on gay lit, but her journey is pretty unique.

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We can still refer to her as Swooprateriat right? I'm surprised it took this long for a women to come out in the WNBA. I don't think there is the stigma and hatered toward being gay in women's sports that there is in Men's sports. Still this could not have been easy.

3. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area

I guess the question is "born gay or became gay". I take the position that it is a little of both. Born with a propensity to homosexuality and, in the proper environment, becomes gay. I really don't think it is either/or. Course I'm probably wrong.

4. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    A gay friend of mine said he realized it when he was a little kid...

5. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think of it like a scale from 1-10. If you're a 1 or a 2, you're gonna be gay or you're gonna be in some terrible, terrible relationships. If you're a 3 or 4, you'll probably be happier gay than straight, and if you grow up in, say, San Francisco, you're alot more likely to be gay than if you grow up in Nowhere, North Carolina. But you don't have to fake it too hard to be in a hetero relationship. Maybe she's a 3, and it took her awhile to figure it out.

BTW...before anyone goes there, I am NOT NOT NOT saying there's an even distribution. The vast majority of people are 9s and 10s, and IMO there are more 1s and 2s than 5s and 6s (true bisexuals.) I was just using a scale because I can explain it that way.

6. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Recruiter: Now, are either of you homosexuals?
    John Winger: You mean like flaming? Or part time?
    Recruiter: Well, it's a question we have to ask of all our new recruits.
    Russell Ziskey: No, we're not homosexual, but we are willing to learn.

7. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think most women can swing both ways. I think homosexuality in women is fundamentally different from homosexuality in men.

This sexist statement was brought to you by no scientific data whatsoever.

8. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two chicks can kiss all the time and it means nothing like if two dudes did it. Who hasn't played get the GFs or wives drunk and get them to make out. :D

9. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't ask me for a cite, just trust me, but I've seen studies claiming that there are more bisexual women than bisexual men, and more gay men than gay women, but if you add 'em together, it's about the same.

10. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have four very good gay friends, all of whom said they realized it when they were very young, though it took varying lengths of time to admit it. I also knew a lot of LUGs in college; Lesbians Until Graduation. I think everyone has probably known girls like this (and because I lived in the actor's dorm, I even knew a couple of guys like this, a much rarer beast indeed) and I think we can all agree that LUGs are awesome.

Swoopes clearly doesn't fall into either category, which challenges everything I thought I knew about homosexuality. It will be fascinating to see the gay community's response to her self-outing, and what they make of her statements.

Either way, I applaud her courage and hope other closeted homosexuals and bisexuals feel safe enough to follow her path.

11. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A carpet muncher will get more men and women out to the WNBA games. Good marketing move!

12. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005

How do we know she didn't learn to become a lesbian to attract guys?

13. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it's way hotter, first of all.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I just want to see two 6 ft. black women make out.

15. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Probably the first time I have agreed with you in a politics thread.... :D

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    When is someone from the USWNT or long defunct WUSA gonna come out of the closet?

17. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Swoopes girlfriend is a she-beast, so you don't want to in this particular situation.

18. nowayjose

nowayjose New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Who else is a lesbian?

19. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I seriously doubt it. They'd only get pissed if she insisted that all gay people had the same experience that she had.

20. Dammit!

Dammit! Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Mickey Mouse Land
    Dems, Reps, and Indeps, can all agree on Lesbians.

Lesbians, the great uniter.

21. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Let's face it. We are all lesbians, trapped in men's bodies.

22. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not going to make it onto We Live Together then.

23. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I thought Abby Wambach was no longer keeping it a secret.

24. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarah Whalen was a LUG.

25. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    I think some fans more or less know that she's a lesbian. I don't think she has actually come out ala Swoopes and said that she is a lesbian.

Back when the WUSA was around, a Washington Freedom fan friend of mine somehow ended up at some sort of pride rally in the DC area and lo and behold Abby was there (along with another Freedom player) and was introduced as "one of our sisters" or something like that.