Sheffield Wednesday 2013-14

Discussion in 'League Championship' started by pookspur, Jun 27, 2013.

1. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they did reply ... which is, in fact, precisely how I found out.

one said hamstring or groin and another said (that Gray said) Achilles. either way (and assuming at least one of those is right), it sounds minor and it's not an aggravation of the calf. so not too bad.

edit: scratch that. it wasn't on OA, it was on OO.

2. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, they added this...

3. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is your handle on OO ?

4. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lost 2-1 .

best chance i saw bounced off of Best's ass... =(

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    don't have one. I'm not registered there. i just lurk about every now and again.

IvanIV repped this.
  6. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    shyte performance in the first half. they looked scared shitless.

7. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no!

what i saw of the last 20 minutes we looked more or less ok, desperate but ok.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yeah ... they made a fist of it in the second half, and with some luck would've equalized (again). but they were chasing it in a game they should have been on top of from the off. and the reason they were chasing it was because for the first half hour they played some of the most staggeringly shit football I've ever seen in a game of any genuine meaning.

if someone informed me that they didn't play a single ball on the ground in the first 15 minutes, i wouldn't be shocked.

IvanIV repped this.
  9. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh no. horrid.

well, i hate the cup anyway. :p

10. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what a massive letdown and missed opportunity. sigh. the semifinals of the fa cup and a trip to wembley were served up on a silver platter and we shat the bed.

IvanIV repped this.
  11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    ... and then moved to Wednesday, 12 Feb, which means ... i'll be there. :D:D:D

throw in Birmingham City at Hillsborough come the Saturday, and that'll be 180 minutes of Sheffield Wednesday action during ten glorious days away from work and this wretched weather.

UTO and all that.

12. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    something is not right in that post... are you going back in time marty mcfly?

lost yesterday to Yoevil.... meh!

13. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    er ... yeah ... I guess it was moved back twice, the second time after the pitch was unplayable, I think. or something like that. 12 March it is, AKA this coming Wednesday.

14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you see that you put the date as, "wed 12 FEB", ... right?

anyway, cheers and have a blast.

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    yup, I did. this game's been moved, I think, three times, now. first from back in the fall to 11 February, then to 11 March, and finally to 12 March - the one that meant I can go.

when I glanced your old post I was thinking you'd made it in response to the second change, not the first, and simply didn't notice the month. or maybe it's just because March here in Indiana has been identically miserable to February and I simply couldn't discern between them. :D

16. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't know about you guys, but i'm largely indifferent about the rest of the season (assuming we don't get dragged back into a relegation fight) after the letdown in the fa cup. that took it all out of me.

17. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    two of their last three performances have been very poor, and I have no difficulty envisioning them being turned over in wigan. I don't think they're safe by a long stretch.

18. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .. and i hate you both.

o_O

19. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    and the cup. you hate us both and the cup.

IvanIV repped this.
  20. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and being corrected...

21. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    technically, you were not being corrected in that post. i was simply augmenting your statement of your hatreds.

this post, though ...

22. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and being condescended too...

23. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pook brought us some good luck vs Birmingham!

Wednesday win 4-1 !! I can't wait for his first hand account.... Got a mini "ramble" in ya pook?

24. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    top, top day. slightly rough morning, down to, perhaps, one pint too many on the Friday; but out to breakfast with Jafes, a bit of jackbit in t'gut, and everything was good to go.

met harry speakup outside the new barrack tavern, where he'd parked up, and threw my bag in his car. the three of us then drove down to the Hillsborough Hotel (pub), where we were shortly joined by droots, billumbo, ante, another really decent fellow who I see every time over, but whose name I shamefully never remember, and a couple more I'd not met before. standard pre-game chat over a couple of pints - including droots mentioning having put five quid at 60/1 on wednesday to win 4-0 - then we set off for the match. I'd figured it good sense to take a piss just before leaving the Hillsborough, but by the time we'd made the ground (a good 20 minute walk), plus a few minutes in the gift shop, I was desperate for the head. I should never have broken the seal. said desperation sent me from the gift shop (where the ticket office is), to pay on the gate, so I could spare my kidneys further grief. that got me to the loo quicker, but meant that I couldn't be selective about my seat, and I ended up slightly lower and less central than i'd've preferred. all the kop end action was right in front of me, but down at the leppings lane end, my view wasn't the best.

Wednesday started out attacking the kop end, and were on top from the off. Chris Maguire had a decent shot saved and Atnde Nuhiu sent a cross tantalizingly through the box and brum will have been feeling the pressure early. the game was only 16 minutes old when Caolan Lavery ran onto a Kieran Lee ball over the top to the right of the box. he controlled it nicely, brought it back inside onto his left foot, and fired low past their keeper inside the far post. it was a very nicely taken goal.

not more than three or four minutes later, the lead was doubled as a Kieran Lee corner was bundled around a bit before falling just inches in front of the line where Leon Best tapped in what will have been one of his easiest goals. at this point droots' bet was looking less unrealistic, and he'll have been wondering if maybe he shouldn't have put down a tenner.

the first half couldn't have gone much better, with the only real regret being down to the ref. not long before the break, Nuhiu took a low cross from the right (can't remember who sent it), controlled it nicely behind him, turned, held off his man, and slid the ball tidily into the back of the net. it was a cracking goal from a forward who's struggled to score, but who always works hard, and does a lot else very well. but then, forwards are expected to put it in the net, and much of his good work goes unnoticed by some fans, so you can sense that he's desperate to add tallies to his contributions. this would have been a splendid addition, had the ref not disallowed it for absolutely no reason that I could see. shortly after the halftime whistle, I was down to the concessions, where I saw a replay of the incident on a monitor in the concourse. it was a truly poor call, and everyone of us pulling for the big Albanian were right to be disappointed.

the second half saw one change from brum, as paul robinson, who'd been given an awful time by Lavery and Buxton, was replaced by Aaron Martin. it didn't much help much, to be honest, and the result was all but assured when Jeremy Helan, after a nice bit of work on the left, fired in his cross, and Will Packwood's effort to block it resulted in a looping own goal as the keeper scrambled back to no avail.

at this point, with a half hour yet to play, the city fans in attendance will have been fearing that it could only get worse. in the 68th, Caolan Lavery assured that it could, when he fired home, this time with his right foot, from the edge of the box after being teed up nicely from Maguire on the right.

the only question yet to be answered was whether or not Droots' scoreline would now stand up. he'd made the mistake of announcing beforehand that if his bet paid off, he'd be picking up the tab for some non-footy-related fun, so he may not have been the only one hoping that the scoring would stop. it wasn't to be, though, as the late substitution of Miguel Llera for the top-class Glen Loovens put paid to Martinez's clean sheet when Big Mig forfeited possession just outside the Wednesday box and was unable to prevent a tidy cross in from Chris Burke across the face of goal which was slotted home at the far post by Lee Novak.

and that was that. 4-1 to Sheffield Wednesday, who were solid all over the pitch, never in danger, and utterly dominant. if those performances were typical you'd have to wonder how Wednesday aren't closer to the playoffs ... and Brum closer to the drop. having seen Wednesday at Wigan three days prior, however, I can assure you that typical this performance was not. it was no less fun for that, though, and at least it seems fair say now that SWFC is, if not safe, very close to it.

after that, it was a short stroll down Penistone Road to the New Barrack Tavern where Harry and I were joined by Beastie and Hollie for a quick pint before being taken to the station to catch the train back down to London. after (for me) three consecutive losses, it was nice to be in attendance for a Wednesday win again - and an emphatic one, at that.

IvanIV repped this.
  25. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    that started as a 'mini'-ramble, but I'm not sure I've pulled it off, have I?

BalanceUT and IvanIV repped this.