Sheffield Utd vs Liverpool-EPL-Dec 6 [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Suss, Dec 4, 2023.

1. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    you're saying we've turned a corner? :)

2. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I agree, he was excellent.

LiverpoolFanatic and Red Bird repped this.
  3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Bit of hippy punching going there with Jurgen on reflection. I think everyone knew it was a joke, it wasn’t a dig at Jurgen or Liverpool, but he chose to go nuclear on the Amazon guy. Because there was nothing to lose really.

He wasn’t Sky or BBC and therefore someone he sees every week and with whom he would have a decent everyday working relationship. And he got to make his point to the TV people and the PL without saying it in such a way that would get him in trouble.

Definite hippy punching, but the Amazon guy gave him the opening.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    what on earth is "hippy punching"?

B.A. and soccershaggy repped this.
  5. CB-West

CB-West Member+

Sep 20, 2013
    NorCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I looked it up on the infamous "Wikipedia":

hippie punching: Criticism of the political left, especially when used to position oneself as a moderate.

is hippie different than hippy? - I don't see much how this applies to JK ;)

SamScouse repped this.
  6. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There was a play in the first half when Archer was in on goal (Konate was caught out) and Van Dijk expertly cut off his passing lane to the back post before getting over to block his shot. The commentator went on and on trying to paint it as bad defending. It was absurd. According to him Van Dijk should have “dealt with the immediate danger.” That would have just resulted in the forward squaring it across for a tap in. He claimed it’s something that Virgil always does. It’s laughable that he is trying to tell one of the best defenders of all time how to defend.

owian, LiverpoolFanatic, B.A. and 2 others repped this.
  7. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Also punching down against someone who either can’t defend himself or makes no difference if he defends himself because of the status of the “puncher”. Or at least that’s the context in which I was using it.

B.A. and CB-West repped this.
  8. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think he had been putting in the miles a lot lately. Up and down the pitch full-back is a tiring proposition, so Klopp (wisely enough) gave him a rest.

Jeez, though, Joe's passing in that first 1/2 hour was wonky-off......

soccershaggy repped this.
  9. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    #134 SamScouse, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    oh.

anyhow .... the early starts isn't a joke to Klopp. the number of times we get saddled with fast turnarounds compared to our peers is 100% deliberate - he been complaining about it for years only to see it get worse and worse and see the physical strains it puts on his men. (look at our recent injury list and our long-term absentees. Matip the latest.)

the TV guy is supposed to be knowledgeable about the game, and 100% should have known better than to joke about it. which he realized instantly.

politicians and their media reps frequently rip newspeople for asking dumb or disrespectful questions. same thing here.

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  10. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    and he defended the situation with a block.
    A lot of times some of these commentators come as if with pre-prepared notes to jabber on about.... :rolleyes:

11. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    You must think he's flippin Messi or Roberto Baggio if he could easily pull off a keeper chip there.... that weren't easy.... ;)

12. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    One more-
    And Endo was damn good out there last night.... he's steady in that kind of game...

13. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    But that’s it. It was barely a joke. In my opinion, Klopp took the ever so slight opening given to him by Mr. Amazon and ran with it. There was no downside for him, as he was answering and bollocking Mr. Amazon while all the time addressing the FA/PL. To say to them what he said to Mr. Amazon, would have seen a fine/suspension, but he was “only talking” to Mr. Amazon, wasn’t he?

I’m not sure he would have done it on Sky or the BBC or with a name pundit, he has to work with them on a regular basis.

But Mr. Amazon Guy? Whose network has one(?) more set of games this season and none for the at least the next 5 seasons? The perfect fall guy. Pretty much a non-entity in football and off field footballing power.

Klopp is famous for preparation after all. But it did come off as hippy punching, perhaps bullying.

14. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    completely disagree about "bullying". the Tv guy is a gown man ffs.

and if Klopp took advantage to make a point that damn well needs making, good for him.

delaynomo repped this.
  15. soccershaggy

soccershaggy Member+

May 18, 2003
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    When he said this, I said this guy is an idiot!

usscouse and Suss repped this.
  16. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    seems that most tv game commentators think they are paid to spout verbal clickbait these days.

I'm not learning a damn thing in terms of tactics, formations, "insights" from an ex-pro. it's basically nonsense or asinine "banter" over and over. I spend at least 50% of every game with the sound muted.

17. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Was thinking exactly the same thing.

Well not quite, I was actually thinking "there is a reason he's out there and you are in studio making dipshit comments, dumbass!"

Suss and soccershaggy repped this.
  18. delaynomo

delaynomo Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Game before, FUBO had two lady commentators. Both were giving "breathless commentary" ..... soooooo painful to listen to!

For the avoidance of doubt, nothing against female commentators as there are a number of male commentators who have the same annoying trait!

19. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    LOL I thought they were pretty good, at least they didn't talk much nonsense (that I heard anyway).

no clue what their names were mind you.

last night's game the main comm was a woman, with some guy. no idea who they were either.

20. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    She was very good explaining what we’d just seen. Not a good as Lee Dixon he’s in a class of his own. She did raise the her voice ready to shriek anytime an attacker neared the goal.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    If I can stay away from ESPN I know I can be avoid FUBO

22. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    When Virg was hunting that guy down to block his shot it was like a cheetah letting the gazelle think it had a chance….. then !!!

LiverpoolFanatic repped this.
  23. B.A.

B.A. Member+

Sep 12, 2007
    IL
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple of female PBP and color commentators on NBC Sports that I think do a fine job. They don’t talk too much, or come off as arrogant know-it-alls.

SamScouse repped this.
  24. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I heard him say that, I thought "WTF are you talking about, Virg literally played that perfectly."

soccershaggy and owian repped this.
  25. Menace2Sobriety

Menace2Sobriety Member+

Aug 12, 2004
    Washington DC
    Yeah - the two commentators this weekend, always seem to shit on LFC.